Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:01 AM

947 posts, read 3,584,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I used to live in Connecticut and the summer humidity there was MUCH worse than here. Much worse in Florida, too! The year-round air temperature varies by only a few degrees between winter and summer but seems hotter in the summer when the Trade Winds die down.
I'm curious, where in Connecticut did you live and what exactly brought you to the Virgin Islands and why?

I'm originally a CT resident and have lived all over the states in the last 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,981 times
For those of you who appear to look for the good things in life, I thank you. I'm making plans to move to v.i. in 2 years to open my own business, and I've been trying to get a feel for what to expect. After reading such a negative review, i honestly started to doubt my plan, but the responses have made me feel so much better. I perfer to expect to find happiness than look for reasons to be miserable. From everyone who's benifited from your replies, thank you.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,593 times
Default Rude Locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperionvi View Post
Wow, St. Croix's crime is comparable to an urban hood in Dade County. People close the stores at five because the ships leave. Also, most tourists don't want to shop after 6 p.m. From, what I hear about America, that's dinner time .

St. John is wonderful, the best of the 3. It has an awesome island feel and it is very tourist oriented.

People were rude to you because when you walked in the room and didn't say good morning, you were considered rude. Also, you were probably one of those customers that walked in the store and didn't reply to anyone when they greeted you.

All in all, you aren't the first one who's said this. The local people are rude to Americans of lighter skin color. I was born and raised there, and I know they don't like the majority of the store owners as well (hint: ethnicity).

Sorry for your bad experience, but I promise you that there are a greater number of polite people than rude in St. Thomas.

Cheers
All that about saying good morning & afternoon didn't work for us. Not all but most were RUDE to us anyway. People who aren't locals should be able to act they way they normally act. It isn't MY custom to say good morning.
We finally stopped making the effort. I don't act different when I go to another state is US, why should I there? What makes them so special?
To me, they are the RUDE ones to treat visitors this way all because they didnt say good morning, give me a break.
The blacks are for sure predjudice against whites. One example: While shopping downtown, one lady trying to draw us in her store, asked if we were shopping for jewelry. I said no. (We had already bought all we needed.) She asked why NOT? You don't like black people? I said "Yeah, that's it." How absurd and rude this ignorant person would say that to us.
The taxi drivers and local drivers were especially rude and beligerent. We had a rental car and they acted like we had no right to be on the road.
I think the natives of STT need to figure out that tourist drive their economy and if it weren't for us, they'd have no JOBS. That's for the ones who have jobs and wern't loitering on the streets drinking all day...who would also walk right out in front of your car.
I'd never go back and if I had known how the locals were and traffic, I'd never have gone.
It appeared most residents were low income and my guess is they resent tourist who come there because they can afford to vacation and spend $
I am not going to apologize for not being poor.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:59 AM

190 posts, read 767,018 times
When one acts like a snob, one is treated accordingly, when you 'think' you are better than others around you, it shows, 'money' does not make a better person, in fact it turns them into snobs. No matter where you are on this planet, if you treat people with decency and respect, you will get that in return.

I have been to ST Thomas 3 times, everyone smiles.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:35 AM

947 posts, read 3,584,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink flamingo View Post
When one acts like a snob, one is treated accordingly, when you 'think' you are better than others around you, it shows, 'money' does not make a better person, in fact it turns them into snobs. No matter where you are on this planet, if you treat people with decency and respect, you will get that in return.

I have been to ST Thomas 3 times, everyone smiles.
Absolutely! Couldn't have said it better myself!

I've lived in a small southern town of 1500 people, a coastal Florida town of 16,000......a North dakota town of 15,000...... a Seacoast new hampshire town of 20,000.. and Not run into any really rude or un-kind people like others who've lived in the same areas I've had.

Smile, say Hello and be polite.. and you'll do fine!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,031,719 times
Iriscottage, you say, "People who aren't locals should be able to act they way they normally act. It isn't MY custom to say good morning."

That message must have come through very loud and clear for the duration of your visit here. Ever heard that old caveat, "when in Rome?" May all your future vacations be spent in Walmart Land amongst lovely folks whose customs and culture differ not a whit from yours. Cheers!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,345,348 times
I think it is important, whether visitor or new resident, to honor the traditions and customary ways of the country you are visiting or living in. "Good morning" - two very simple words that carry a lot of weight in the islands.

If you're researching your trip or prospective move, you're researching areas to live in, places to eat, shopping, etc....so wouldn't you also want to know the norm for the people? The thing is - you will find the people of the V.I. much more engaging if you bend to their culture for 10 hours while you're off the cruise ship, and you might truly learn some island history and some things about the culture you wouldn't know otherwise. Some things you just do out of respect for a way of life that is contrary to what you know....after all, they may come to your town and a "good morning" from them would be greeted very pleasantly.

Even if you forget and later remember, just say "I'm sorry, I forgot I'm in the Land of Good Days!" Believe me, it is appreciated if you make an effort to acknowledge their ways And we're all just people, I can't think of a culture that a salutation isn't a good idea....it's just a little more pronounced in some areas.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:46 PM

553 posts, read 574,364 times
Who said we were rude?

Old 05-18-2008, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,782 times
I lived in the V.I. for 3 years-by myself from age 20-23. I maintained quite well. Island life is different than stateside life. We take alot for granted, and we are very very spoiled. Not all of us, but some.

Living over there and starting from scratch humbled me, not only as a young person, but as someone who beacame accoustom to convenience, and it made me more aware of the blatant racist and ignorant attitudes we "learn". In St. Croix I had a black man correct me in the street one day when I addressed a man in the street as "the white guy over there"-he corrected me by telling me he was "crucian" as opposed to white. I thought it was beautiful, and I felt ashamed as a black woman-because I knew better.

I laugh at the person who suggested the woman who asked the question "Do you not like black people" is racist. Why, because she asked you a legitimate question? Or beacuse she exposed your true nature? How was her question "ignorant"- as opposed to just a "question". Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-18-2008 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: don't call people "dummy" - against the Terms of Service

Old 05-19-2008, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,793 times
I'm somewhere in between here. I went to St Croix last year, and I read up on it beforehand. I did smile and say "Good morning" etc. I have to tell you, it didn't do me a bit of good. Most (but not all) were rude at best. Trying to get help in the airport with our lost luggage, help in a store, etc was painful. But I enjoyed the island itself so much, I'm going back this year. And I'll still say Good Morning, Good Afternoon and Good Evening. I just won't expect to hear it back. But, I don't go on vacation for the Mayberry experience. While I don't agree with all of the post, I do agree the shopkeeper's comment was in poor taste. And yes, ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories