Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 12:49 PM

24,512 posts, read 26,056,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Can't imagine she was banned. I'm way worse than she ever was. I'll have to check out 4 Corners in December when I run over to Friendly Grocery on a Saturday for a Hull Bay 12 pack. Why did I think she might've moved to Canada or something?
Let us know what you find out. She was a fountain of knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:34 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,012,409 times
STT resident, banned??!? I doubt that.

Anyway, I should have seen this post from a while back to remember to go see her. I laid off CD for a while and was back on St. Thomas last November and this past April.

Anyway, when it is said that the Virgin Islands is 'dangerous' (St. Thomas and St. Croix) it must ALWAYS be explained. The overwhelming amount of danger and crime are young islanders going after each other. For the most part, tourists are relatively safe and it is rare to hear of some violent crime toward them. In fact, when it does happen, it is often some big news there and abroad. It is far more dangerous for an 18-35 year old young man on the island than Joe Tourist riding around in his rental.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:18 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,192,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Last time we were on St. Thomas, she took us on a road trip and past the old Tart which then was vine-covered. She had back surgery 2 years ago and it's given her new energy! She's now baking and soap making (moringa) and selling it on Saturdays at 4-corners. She will never move off island. It's in her bones and she absolutely loves it. When she first took us on a tour, we spent over an hour in a small historical cemetery with her giving us a history lesson. What a hoot! She brought the island alive with her stories.

And to think we originally met her on C-D. That St. Thomas tour was our first in-person meeting with her.
I'll try to remember to check out Four Corners on Saturday morning. If she's here, she's likely alright because people will know here based on her business.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:39 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,848,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by induhvidual View Post
This is the busiest island with a population of 50,000, around 95% black with 5% making up the rest. This is strictly a one day cruise port. The island is 3.25 miles wide and 13 miles long. About 30-40 % of the terrain is mountain and non-habitable bush. One square mile downtown is devoted to the duty free shopping area (jewelry,watches, perfumes, liquor etc) Public schools are very unsafe and not an option. People are extremely racist and open about it. They dislike(to put it mildly) white people and are even suspicious of the mainland blacks(calling them yankees) Nightlife is nonexistent and the streets are dangerous at night. In this past week, there have been two fatal shootings in the same neighbourhood. Summers can get very hot, (in the high 90s) and humid. Around winter the mercury hovers around 85(days) and 75(nights). Expect to pay around $300-$500 for electricity and at least $50 for hi-speed internet. Grocery costs approx 50%-80% more here than the mainland as everything has to be shipped/airlifted in.
The water is not potable, bottled water is the only option.
We even use bottled water when cooking to be safe.
(The last report said that samples contained trace amounts of fecal matter)
Oh, and did I mention, crack is the drug of choice here and freely available everywhere.
The speed limit is 25-30 and you drive on the left hand side of the road.
There are no gated communities here and you cannot distance yourself from the problems here. It is ever present and in your face.
There is virtually no place to take a stroll in the night safely.
Liquor is cheap, rum being the choice for most. This is Alcoholics central as well.
This is pretty much the twilight zone.It is unreal. There is big money vested here though from the cruise lines that come here,so you will never get this information from the colorful booklets or travel websites.
I'm going to have to agree with induhvidual, even though they haven't logged back in since 07. I lived on the island for a few months and I couldn't stand it. The racism, drugs, crime, and trash all over were extremely bad. This is an island where criminals move to get away from the police. Police do not care on this island, and it'd be a rare case that they actually did anything other than sit and chat. I was overly nice and tried my best to get along with people, but since I am white, woah Nelly! I could maybe get one out of every 60 people to actually acknowledge my presence. Don't get stranded or walk around outside of the tourism areas, you're prime picking. I was on a taxi with several other people, and the person beside me decided to tell me that the island was used to drop off slaves, then he didn't talk to me anymore when I tried to continue the conversation.

Electricity cannot be counted on. Absolutely not. You had to praise the gods whenever the electricity was actually working. The trash problem is absolutely disgusting. You need to haul everything to the nearest dumpster, which is fine, but most people could care less about doing that. You'll drive around and see these massive piles of garbage just sitting on the side of the road.

Homeless pets - if you want a pet, no need to buy one from anyone, you'll see a homeless dog or cat within a day or two of being on the island. Nobody cares about them, they're on their own to fend for themselves.

It's extremely unsafe at night unless you're in the Redhook area. That's about the only safe zone white people have at night. The only island that I felt comfortable on was St. John's. Beautiful island and most people were really nice and talkative. The food was great there also, no complaints!

I'm still bitter about it and I refuse to even acknowledge that I even lived on the island for a few months to anybody. If someone mentions they want to visit, I try my best to persuade them not to go.

Now that I finally told how I feel about STT, I'll never mention it again

Old 11-19-2017, 01:14 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,351,562 times
I'm here now as a Federal agency Surge Capacity FEMA volunteer. I have very little time off but rode a safari today and didn't find the locals to be hostile. I'm very accustomed to being the only white girl in the crowd. I'm not going to venture out after dark, but that applies to most US cities. I can tell you the electrical infrastructure is being rebuilt to standards and, once completed, it will be much more reliable.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
I'm going to have to agree with induhvidual, even though they haven't logged back in since 07. I lived on the island for a few months and I couldn't stand it. The racism, drugs, crime, and trash all over were extremely bad. This is an island where criminals move to get away from the police. Police do not care on this island, and it'd be a rare case that they actually did anything other than sit and chat. I was overly nice and tried my best to get along with people, but since I am white, woah Nelly! I could maybe get one out of every 60 people to actually acknowledge my presence. Don't get stranded or walk around outside of the tourism areas, you're prime picking. I was on a taxi with several other people, and the person beside me decided to tell me that the island was used to drop off slaves, then he didn't talk to me anymore when I tried to continue the conversation.

Electricity cannot be counted on. Absolutely not. You had to praise the gods whenever the electricity was actually working. The trash problem is absolutely disgusting. You need to haul everything to the nearest dumpster, which is fine, but most people could care less about doing that. You'll drive around and see these massive piles of garbage just sitting on the side of the road.

Homeless pets - if you want a pet, no need to buy one from anyone, you'll see a homeless dog or cat within a day or two of being on the island. Nobody cares about them, they're on their own to fend for themselves.

It's extremely unsafe at night unless you're in the Redhook area. That's about the only safe zone white people have at night. The only island that I felt comfortable on was St. John's. Beautiful island and most people were really nice and talkative. The food was great there also, no complaints!

I'm still bitter about it and I refuse to even acknowledge that I even lived on the island for a few months to anybody. If someone mentions they want to visit, I try my best to persuade them not to go.

Now that I finally told how I feel about STT, I'll never mention it again

Glad you left. Your post reeks of an entitlement complex and yes, bitterness. Firstly, people here are very aware of the racial climate and culture of the states and they do not want it here. This why even the local whites - Frenchies - often dislike many whites who come down from the states. Too many, like you, have angry condescending attitudes and get angry when people don't role out the red carpet for you because you're white. No one cares what you are here but racist and entitled attitudes will be checked. The stateside whites who are friendly and down to earth get along fine here.

Electricity is on most of the time so stop spreading false information. Only now that we were hit with Irma and Maria do we have a blackout.

Most people take out their trash. Some people litter. Again, stop spreading false information.

Yes, plenty homeless pets. Caribbean people are less concerned with animals. It's a cultural difference. Often times people from the states leave their animals when they go back home. These animals breed and breed.

Redhook safe? The hell it is. Redhook is full of drugs and drunk people. You only like it because it is mostly white. That is a place that I do not frequent at all. Police are always there and there are arrests made on the normal. I much prefer classy concerts at the Reichhold Center or when the soca artists come from other islands down at Crown Bay. When I do go out, I hang around the mature crowds rather than loud, belligerent drunks and drugs running down at Red Hook.

Lots of areas are safe at night, such as the areas where most of us live. You just can't go wandering drunk anywhere you please. That is not safe to do anywhere. I am not white and I rarely go out at night. Safety is paramount to me.

It's interesting that people understand they can't go everywhere at night in the states but complain when they go to the VI and other places in the Caribbean. People live in these places. They are not it's for leisure during your temporary stays.

Quit lying about the police force. It has issues but you have no idea the kind of work they do on the islands. Bet you don't have a clue all of the undercover operations that go on here. They risk their lives. The crime is bad but it is more confined to certain areas. The police are throughout those areas at any given time. Often times they work long hours and still don't see proper compensation. Overworked and underpaid.

People like you should stay where they are. The VI needs people who care about the community and will contribute to the betterment of the territory.

In the words of Tarrus Riley, DON'T COME BACK.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm here now as a Federal agency Surge Capacity FEMA volunteer. I have very little time off but rode a safari today and didn't find the locals to be hostile. I'm very accustomed to being the only white girl in the crowd. I'm not going to venture out after dark, but that applies to most US cities. I can tell you the electrical infrastructure is being rebuilt to standards and, once completed, it will be much more reliable.
That's because you are down-to-earth and have common sense. Anyway, we really appreciate all that you all are doing here. If there is anything you need while here, please message me! I'll do my best to make it happen for you.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,848,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Glad you left. Your post reeks of an entitlement complex and yes, bitterness.
Really? Please tell me how a lot of people having a terrible experience on the island makes them "entitled".

Quote:
Firstly, people here are very aware of the racial climate and culture of the states and they do not want it here.
Ah, so they judge people by the color of their skin and where they come from. Yet people who go there and complain about the extreme racism that goes on, are some how labeled entitled and racist. Interesting.

Quote:
Too many, like you, have angry condescending attitudes and get angry when people don't role out the red carpet for you because you're white. No one cares what you are here but racist and entitled attitudes will be checked. The stateside whites who are friendly and down to earth get along fine here.
So now I'm labeled as a racist, entitled, and condescending just because of my post. I'm not sure that you're realizing that you're proving my point exactly. I was friendly, and still got the stink eye. My experience is like many others, even tourist who visit the island and run into the same exact attitude.

Quote:
Electricity is on most of the time so stop spreading false information. Only now that we were hit with Irma and Maria do we have a blackout.
"most of the time" - Why does everyone on the island own a generator?

Quote:
Most people take out their trash. Some people litter. Again, stop spreading false information.
No, they don't. The problem is hidden around where the tourist are, but any exploration will show that there is no real reason anybody should drive to the dumpsters to empty their trash.

Quote:
Yes, plenty homeless pets. Caribbean people are less concerned with animals. It's a cultural difference. Often times people from the states leave their animals when they go back home. These animals breed and breed.
That's true, people do bring their pets and then leave them thanks to the strict airline rules.

Quote:
Redhook safe? The hell it is. Redhook is full of drugs and drunk people. You only like it because it is mostly white.
Here we go with that mentality again .

Quote:
Police are always there and there are arrests made on the normal.
When and if the police actually show up. It's one of the few rare spots they'll be because they are not at risk at getting killed.

Quote:
Lots of areas are safe at night
.......For those that were born and raised there. However, the gunfire on a nightly basis are gang members having it out. Safe indeed.

Quote:
Quit lying about the police force.
Oh, I really wish I was... Laziest police force I've ever seen with the massive amount of crime that happens there. Criminals go there to escape the mainlands police, so why are they staying if the police force is worth its weight?

Quote:
People like you should stay where they are.
Oh trust me, I'm never going back and I've made several people change their mind to go visit there. The island is basically funded on tourism and the locals are running everybody off. How is the island going to survive when there is no tourism money coming in?

Quote:
The VI needs people who care about the community
are few and far.

Quote:
and will contribute to the betterment of the territory.
How so? You cannot better a territory when the governor himself cannot even better the island.

Quote:
In the words of Tarrus Riley, DON'T COME BACK.
The filth can only go so high before it crumbles down. I'm not going to stand on filth that is fueled by hatred of the very people that keep the island going. I do wish the best for St. John's though, they're at least trying to bring tourism in (and keeping them coming back which STT cannot do).

Old 11-20-2017, 05:52 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,351,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That's because you are down-to-earth and have common sense. Anyway, we really appreciate all that you all are doing here. If there is anything you need while here, please message me! I'll do my best to make it happen for you.
I've really enjoyed the variety of accents here. I wish I could remember the phrase used once when I was finishing up a phone conversation. Something like "peace be with you" but that wasn't it. If I could remember I'd say it to you now.
BTW, we have security police (army & air Guard) who have been teaming up with local law enforcement. Nice work to the men in blue.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
Really? Please tell me how a lot of people having a terrible experience on the island makes them "entitled".
You do not equate to a lot of people. You can’t handle not having everything your way.

Quote:
Ah, so they judge people by the color of their skin and where they come from. Yet people who go there and complain about the extreme racism that goes on, are some how labeled entitled and racist. Interesting.
Frenchies are white too. It’s your obsession with race and prejudice that they don’t like.

Quote:
So now I'm labeled as a racist, entitled, and condescending just because of my post. I'm not sure that you're realizing that you're proving my point exactly. I was friendly, and still got the stink eye. My experience is like many others, even tourist who visit the island and run into the same exact attitude.
Nothing friendly about your post. Your nasty attitude will invite the same response. Not sure how I could be proving your point when I’m not from St. Thomas.

Quote:
"most of the time" - Why does everyone on the island own a generator?
More lies. Did you even pay attention to anyone other than yourself? The majority of people do not own a generator. That’s why people have been scrambling to get them after these two Category 5 hurricanes. Many people cannot even afford them. You obviously don’t know much about where you lived.

Quote:
No, they don't. The problem is hidden around where the tourist are, but any exploration will show that there is no real reason anybody should drive to the dumpsters to empty their trash.
Oh so your problem is that YOU don’t want to drive your trash to the dump like most of us. And yes, most of us do it.

Quote:
That's true, people do bring their pets and then leave them thanks to the strict airline rules.
Spare me the airline rule excuse. There are charters. You want to criticize local people for not being into pets but you make excuses for statesiders who leave their pets behind.

Quote:
Here we go with that mentality again .
Not sure what mentality you’re speaking of. It is a fact that Red Hook is full of drugs and drunk people. The job I previously held allowed me to see that. It’s not my fault you are angry at the truth.

Quote:
When and if the police actually show up. It's one of the few rare spots they'll be because they are not at risk at getting killed.
Again police are ALWAYS there and make arrests on the normal. LOL.

Quote:
.......For those that were born and raised there. However, the gunfire on a nightly basis are gang members having it out. Safe indeed.
Nonsense. I am not born and raised there. I moved there as a single woman, on my own. There are plenty safe areas. I don’t frequent rough areas nor run around drunk in places like Red Hook or anywhere else for that matter.

Quote:
Oh, I really wish I was... Laziest police force I've ever seen with the massive amount of crime that happens there. Criminals go there to escape the mainlands police, so why are they staying if the police force is worth its weight?
That’s because you don’t see the work they do and after these two hurricanes, I can be nothing but grateful for them. They have worked tirelessly, many without one day off since Irma. +12 hr shifts.

Quote:
Oh trust me, I'm never going back and I've made several people change their mind to go visit there. The island is basically funded on tourism and the locals are running everybody off. How is the island going to survive when there is no tourism money coming in?
Wonderful. Your kind are not needed. The cruise ships are already back and tourists are increasing since the hurricane.

Quote:
How so? You cannot better a territory when the governor himself cannot even better the island.
One person cannot better an entire land. It takes cooperation among everyday people. The type of people who don’t complain about having to take their trash to a shared dumpster...

Quote:
The filth can only go so high before it crumbles down. I'm not going to stand on filth that is fueled by hatred of the very people that keep the island going. I do wish the best for St. John's though, they're at least trying to bring tourism in (and keeping them coming back which STT cannot do).
It is you that is full of hatred toward the local people of the island. Sorry to tell you but the tourists keep coming back to STT and STJ. And now with the ferries, they can easily head to STX too. Triple the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories