Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 02:41 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I've really enjoyed the variety of accents here. I wish I could remember the phrase used once when I was finishing up a phone conversation. Something like "peace be with you" but that wasn't it. If I could remember I'd say it to you now.
BTW, we have security police (army & air Guard) who have been teaming up with local law enforcement. Nice work to the men in blue.
Yes, there are a number of island nations represented here, especially St. Kitts, Dominica, Dominican Republic, BVI etc. So plenty different accents. I’m more familiar with islands much lower down on the chain that aren’t as represented here so I am still learning to recognize the accents here, even after 2 years.

Was the phrase “have a blessed day?” People say that one a lot.

Yes, I’ve seen many of them. It has been really nice. Not sure when you arrived but right after Irma hit, the place looked like a bomb went off. Hardly a leaf on the tree, debris everywhere. It was really devastating. But army, national guard, fema, power crews etc., starting coming and coming and now the place looks entirely different. Trees all have leaves again too. It has relieved so much stress just see our place look different. We have a long way to go but we are grateful.

I really have a heart for our men and women in blue and the national guard, especially from here and Puerto Rico. A number of them lost their homes, have significant home damage, lost many personal items etc. But they are out here serving regardless. We had national guard from Puerto Rico over here when Maria was hitting their families at home. They still served diligently. So I’m quite fierce about those men and women out here giving their time and energy despite all they have been through personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 11:49 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
You do not equate to a lot of people. You can’t handle not having everything your way.

Frenchies are white too. It’s your obsession with race and prejudice that they don’t like.

Nothing friendly about your post. Your nasty attitude will invite the same response. Not sure how I could be proving your point when I’m not from St. Thomas.

More lies. Did you even pay attention to anyone other than yourself? The majority of people do not own a generator. That’s why people have been scrambling to get them after these two Category 5 hurricanes. Many people cannot even afford them. You obviously don’t know much about where you lived.

Oh so your problem is that YOU don’t want to drive your trash to the dump like most of us. And yes, most of us do it.

Spare me the airline rule excuse. There are charters. You want to criticize local people for not being into pets but you make excuses for statesiders who leave their pets behind.

Not sure what mentality you’re speaking of. It is a fact that Red Hook is full of drugs and drunk people. The job I previously held allowed me to see that. It’s not my fault you are angry at the truth.

Again police are ALWAYS there and make arrests on the normal. LOL.

Nonsense. I am not born and raised there. I moved there as a single woman, on my own. There are plenty safe areas. I don’t frequent rough areas nor run around drunk in places like Red Hook or anywhere else for that matter.

That’s because you don’t see the work they do and after these two hurricanes, I can be nothing but grateful for them. They have worked tirelessly, many without one day off since Irma. +12 hr shifts.

Wonderful. Your kind are not needed. The cruise ships are already back and tourists are increasing since the hurricane.

One person cannot better an entire land. It takes cooperation among everyday people. The type of people who don’t complain about having to take their trash to a shared dumpster...

It is you that is full of hatred toward the local people of the island. Sorry to tell you but the tourists keep coming back to STT and STJ. And now with the ferries, they can easily head to STX too. Triple the experience.
I have to say that reality is somewhere in between you two. My son married a Frenchie, and I have two grandchildren one of whom was born in STT. And we lived in the middle of everything, worked downtown, Havensight and in Red Hook. The Virgin Islands certainly isn't the place for everyone. Eyes wide open. Enjoy what you have.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:02 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,379 times
Quote:
You do not equate to a lot of people. You can’t handle not having everything your way.
Hahahahahahaha! Yeah, now you're trying to act like you know me and what I did and didn't do. Crazy. Simply crazy.

Quote:
Frenchies are white too. It’s your obsession with race and prejudice that they don’t like.
My "obsession" is noticing the extreme racism that goes on? Oh, my bad! Maybe I comment on it because it's a fact, not an opinion.

Quote:
Nothing friendly about your post. Your nasty attitude will invite the same response
There will never be nothing friendly in my post regarding STT.

Quote:
More lies. Did you even pay attention to anyone other than yourself? The majority of people do not own a generator.
LOL!!! Basically everyone owns a generator there, unless theirs gets stolen (happens a lot). How are they suppose to cook or keep their food cold when the power is out 80% of the time in a one month span.

Quote:
Oh so your problem is that YOU don’t want to drive your trash to the dump like most of us. And yes, most of us do it.
You are crazy. quick to put words into other people's mouths.

I took my trash, but I guess I didn't according to a random stranger.

Quote:
Spare me the airline rule excuse. There are charters. You want to criticize local people for not being into pets but you make excuses for statesiders who leave their pets behind.
I didn't make an excuse, I gave you a policy. It's not my fault people don't realize it.

Quote:
Not sure what mentality you’re speaking of.
Yours. Completely mind boggling. Although, you're only going off of your own experience. I'm never going to agree with it though.

Quote:
Again police are ALWAYS there and make arrests on the normal.
Ah, so you hate redhook because you were fired from a job. Got it.

Quote:
I don’t frequent rough areas
Well, keep to the tourist area. Venture outside of that and you're in the rough areas.

Quote:
The cruise ships are already back and tourists are increasing since the hurricane.
Yeah, out of feeling bad. I'm sorry, but give them a couple hours to venture out and they'll know not to come back.

Quote:
It is you that is full of hatred toward the local people of the island.
That's putting it lightly.

Quote:
Sorry to tell you but the tourists keep coming back to STT
I'm sorry to hear that, maybe they'll log on a review website before going.

Quote:
and STJ.
Awesome! STJ needs more tourist income, they deserve every penny.

Last edited by Quert; 11-21-2017 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I have to say that reality is somewhere in between you two. My son married a Frenchie, and I have two grandchildren one of whom was born in STT. And we lived in the middle of everything, worked downtown, Havensight and in Red Hook. The Virgin Islands certainly isn't the place for everyone. Eyes wide open. Enjoy what you have.
This is my reality, as someone who currently lives here. Sorry but the claim that reality is in-between is dishonest.

The majority of people throw their trash in the dump. If the majority threw their trash anywhere, the place would look and smell horrendous. Some people do throw their trash anywhere and it is a problem. But the majority? No. Do you actually dispute that?

Are you really going to claim that everyone has a generator? The majority of people did not up until this hurricane. So many people have been scrambling to get them. Home Depot ran out after Irma. Generators were stuck in Miami. What are you claiming is reality when it comes to generators? Were you here during Irma and Maria? The VI hadnt been hit with a major hurricane in over 20 years. Plenty people didn’t have generators.

As for Red Hook and drugs, drunken people etc. Not going to bother with that because you won’t know unless you have access to certain information.

Racism exists everywhere. You will find some local and stateside individuals who racist but it is not extreme. I do find however that some statesiders forget where they are. It’s not going to go well for you if you call someone the n-word or a “blk b****” on a majority black island. Neither will I feel sorry for you.

The VIPD has issues but they are overworked and underpaid. There are lazy cops everywhere, including here. But there are hard working cops too, here included. And right now, the majority of these police are working extremely hard after these hurricanes.

I have lived east, north, west and town. It certainly is not for everyone and for some, it may be just for a time. And I am all about discussing problems within the VI, the root of them and how to rectify them. However, i am speaking about intelligent discussion based on real information...

Not going to entertain a trash talker who is exaggerating and spewing false information because the red carpet wasn’t rolled out for him on arrival and he has to take his trash to the dump. Nope.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 11-21-2017 at 04:25 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
Hahahahahahaha! Yeah, now you're trying to act like you know me and what I did and didn't do. Crazy. Simply crazy.
Strange comment. It is your statements that have made that very clear.

Quote:
My "obsession" is noticing the extreme racism that goes on? Oh, my bad! Maybe I comment on it because it's a fact, not an opinion.
There is no extreme racism here. Sorry to break it to you but VI does not have supremacists running innocent people over with cars. It does not have nutcases preparing for race wars. There are racist people everywhere, of course, but here there is a more or a local vs. non-local issue than racism. That has nothing to do with race and everything to do with culture. A Frenchie is accepted before a Black person from down island. Why? Because a Frenchie is a Virgin Islander.

Quote:
There will never be nothing friendly in my post regarding STT.
How childish.

Quote:
LOL!!! Basically everyone owns a generator there, unless theirs gets stolen (happens a lot). How are they suppose to cook or keep their food cold when the power is out 80% of the time in a one month span.
False. The majority of people here did not own generators. Generators are too expensive many Virgin Islanders. Others who could afford them have scrambled to get them after the storms. There has been a huge demand for them because the majority of people didn’t have them before the storms. Power outages weren’t that frequent for people to spend the money for generators. That is the reality. You only lived here for a few months and you’ve never been here during a hurricane, much less two Category 5 hurricanes. So you don’t know.

Quote:
You are crazy. quick to put words into other people's mouths.

I took my trash, but I guess I didn't according to a random stranger.
You were the one complaining that you had to take your trash to the common dumpster like most others. No one said you didn’t. You are just whining and complaining about something very basic. Did you visit before moving here? You complain like you didn’t realize tit is different from living on the mainland

Quote:
Ah, so you hate redhook because you were fired from a job. Got it.
Nope, nice try. I am educated and hold a job which requires a professional level of education. The few jobs in Red Hook that are my level close at 5pm - COB. However, I am well aware of drugs and drunken nonsense in Red Hook via my previous position and other associations.

Quote:
Well, keep to the tourist area. Venture outside of that and you're in the rough areas.
False again. There are plenty amazing non-tourist areas where people have beautiful communities. Most people don’t want to live in tourist areas at all. In fact, a number of those areas are closer to crime, such as Main Street and even Havensight. Better you live North side or far West where the land is lush and the weather is cooler.

Quote:
Yeah, out of feeling bad. I'm sorry, but give them a couple hours to venture out and they'll know not to come back.

That's putting it lightly.

I'm sorry to hear that, maybe they'll log on a review website before going.

Awesome! STJ needs more tourist income, they deserve every penny.
Wishful thinking. STT has many repeat visitors although I believe the VI can do better in marketing each island and have higher class tourism. Hopefully in time...

Old 11-21-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
you’ve never been here during a hurricane,
Actually I have, but it wasn't a Cat 5. I was even invited to a few "Hurricane parties".

Quote:
You were the one complaining that you had to take your trash to the common dumpster like most others.
No. I was complaining that a lot of the people didn't take their garbage, instead, letting it pile up.

Quote:
You complain like you didn’t realize tit is different from living on the mainland
It's like living in a third world country with nothing to show but the beaches.

Quote:
How childish.
Not really. People complain all the time about their bad experiences, which helps people researching the place know what really happens. It's a dirty, poor, congested, and hive-minded island. I'm sorry, that's how I saw it when I lived there, and how I saw it when I left. My experiences over the course of my stay kept getting worse and worse, so of course I'm going to tell what I've experienced. Some people go there and love it, others can sense and see it completely different from day 1.

As soon as my plane departed from that island, it was the happiest day of my entire life. The experience of living on the island rarely ever comes up anymore, and I've erased every single photo and even the slightest bit of data relating to the islands. To the outsider, I've never lived there, and that's what I really wish was the reality. It was the most vile experience I've ever had, and I've lived in some rough parts of America.. No where I've lived compares to the horrendous culture of STT. Even my mother who visited the island before won't even go back again, she felt the racism and vile nature of the beast the moment she arrived - but tried to make the best of her vacation while it lasted.

Anyways, that's enough from me since I won't ever go back. I do wish St. John's the utmost best with their rebuilding efforts and hope that most of them come to the states to see how much better life could be when they're not living a ferry away from a terrible island.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Actually I have, but it wasn't a Cat 5. I was even invited to a few "Hurricane parties".
Really...so which hurricane were you here for? What Category was it? And how long were you out of power after? Since you claim that everyone has a generator, what about the people in Pearson Gardens, Patriot Manor, Kerwin Terrace, Bovoni and Tutu projects, Plantation Manor etc? Do all those people have generators too? Since you claim that you only lived in St Thomas a few months, what months did you live here?

And since you claim power was out 80 percent of the time, what are the generator rules on a daily basis outside of hurricanes? And how do the schools run because some schools don’t have generators? If power is out 80 percent of the time, how were they running? Also, how do the stoplights operate since you claim that there is no power 80 percent of the time? How were people using landline phones so often then? That has to be the most hilarious of your claims as nothing would function if that were the case.

Quote:
No. I was complaining that a lot of the people didn't take their garbage, instead, letting it pile up.
No, you stated that there was no real reason why anyone should have to take their trash to the dump. So you obviously had a problem with taking your trash to the dump. Additionally, you claimed that the majority do not put their trash in the dump, which is nonsense. If that were the case, the island would not function.

Quote:
It's like living in a third world country with nothing to show but the beaches.
Which 3rd world countries have you lived in or spend significant time in? The VI is more like 2nd world, certainly not 3rd.

Quote:
Not really. People complain all the time about their bad experiences, which helps people researching the place know what really happens. It's a dirty, poor, congested, and hive-minded island. I'm sorry, that's how I saw it when I lived there, and how I saw it when I left. My experiences over the course of my stay kept getting worse and worse, so of course I'm going to tell what I've experienced. Some people go there and love it, others can sense and see it completely different from day 1.
Yes, people share their experiences and you should keep sharing yours. Your views are so extreme and exaggerated, they will make people want to know for themselves whether a U.S. territory can truly be this way.

Quote:
As soon as my plane departed from that island, it was the happiest day of my entire life. The experience of living on the island rarely ever comes up anymore, and I've erased every single photo and even the slightest bit of data relating to the islands. To the outsider, I've never lived there, and that's what I really wish was the reality. It was the most vile experience I've ever had, and I've lived in some rough parts of America.. No where I've lived compares to the horrendous culture of STT. Even my mother who visited the island before won't even go back again, she felt the racism and vile nature of the beast the moment she arrived - but tried to make the best of her vacation while it lasted.
Yet here you are still talking about it. Your comments are vile and your attitude explains your experience. Your description of the island as dirty and poor shows that you look down on people who have less. Those people are actually some of the sweetest people on the island. You would never know that because of your attitude.

LOL@ your mother feeling the racism and vile nature from the moment she arrived for vacation. Really, the moment? Guess the red carpet wasn’t rolled out. All those poor people didn’t bow to her when she stepped out of the airport.

Quote:
Anyways, that's enough from me since I won't ever go back. I do wish St. John's the utmost best with their rebuilding efforts and hope that most of them come to the states to see how much better life could be when they're not living a ferry away from a terrible island.
The majority of people in St. John moved from the States for a better life in the Virgin Islands - right next to beautiful St. Thomas.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:23 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
I stand by my statement. We have an apartment on the Northside and lived there for nearly 15 years and had friends at all levels of society from ag rasta to my wife's buddy, Mrs. Dejongh. From the boatyard to the yacht club to the Court system, realtors, Catholic Charites and the Water Island eclectics for Sunday horseshoes to Syb's when Sybilly was still around, Hull Bay Hideaway when Larry still owned it to Bryan's when Bryan's still owned it to Bottom's Up (Carigas) when Bill still owned it to Lat 18 when Rick still owned it. Coral Bay to Cruz Bay to Red Hook to Frederiksted. And you call me dishonest? If you don't know how things "wok" in the V.I., you bein' dishonest. And you clearly don't.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 PM

Edit - My response (for this post) wasn't worth the effort. I understand trying to fight against the negativity of a place you're living. I find the VI a horrible place and I wouldn't even wish for my enemy to live there. I'm not even joking.

Reine, it's absolutely none of your business when I was there, what hurricane I was there for, or how long I was there for. None of those will ever set your mind at ease. In my opinion you're part of the problem, but I do understand that you want to defend the island from any hate it receives. People who've been reading our banter back and fourth, I (highly) encourage you do heavy research before you visit or move there. Don't ignore the negativity that is posted, especially when it's said by multiple people. Everything I've said was witnessed by me and several others, it's not a view from just myself, but reviews will tell you that. On a side note - be prepared for third world county standards. Try searching for how they get their drinking water, where it's stored, and what kind of things are in it. Do research on the drugs and crime, the electricity, and of course how they treat people from the outside.

Last edited by Sunscape; 11-29-2017 at 03:13 PM..

Old 11-23-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Edit - My response (for this post) wasn't worth the effort. I understand trying to fight against the negativity of a place you're living. I find the VI a horrible place and I wouldn't even wish for my enemy to live there. I'm not even joking.

Reine, it's absolutely none of your business when I was there, what hurricane I was there for, or how long I was there for. None of those will ever set your mind at ease. In my opinion you're part of the problem, but I do understand that you want to defend the island from any hate it receives. People who've been reading our banter back and fourth, I (highly) encourage you do heavy research before you visit or move there. Don't ignore the negativity that is posted, especially when it's said by multiple people. Everything I've said was witnessed by me and several others, it's not a view from just myself, but reviews will tell you that. On a side note - be prepared for third world county standards. Try searching for how they get their drinking water, where it's stored, and what kind of things are in it. Do research on the drugs and crime, the electricity, and of course how they treat people from the outside.

I can sit here and respond to the cancer Reine is spewing, but it's not worth it, cancer spreads and it's already taken the island hostage.
The expected response. Your attitude has everything to do with your experience in St. Thomas. Of course you will not reveal anything now but earlier you stated that you were only here for a few months. Nice try though.

I have had positive and negative experiences here, like anywhere else. It’s not about defending the island but about being TRUTHFUL. I am open to intelligent, substantive discussion regarding the VI but blatant falsehoods will be addressed. Generally speaking, it is best to keep a positive attitude and work toward change in the areas where it is needed.

The V.I. is not first world, nor third world. It is a solid second. As someone who has been to third world nations and whose family came from a place that arguably not longer third world, that comes from experience. I will agree with you that anyone who moves here should do their research. Plenty people truly enjoy it but some are not cut out for certain challenges.

Lastly, having a respectful and positive attitude goes far. Your attitude stunted you in St. Thomas. We all know there are locals who are biased against those from the outside but as much of that stems towards the poor attitudes of outsiders as much as their own local bias. As an outsider, being respectful of the culture that exists and not being condescending, has done me well. Same has been for others of all backgrounds in my circles.

Negative attitudes are cancers. Sorry that you have allowed them to consume you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories