Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 06:29 AM

23,025 posts, read 28,515,071 times

Advertisements

The only recent show I can think of that captured the quirky existential humor and place of NORTHERN EXPOSURE is the British show THE DETECTORISTS. Great show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 01:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,588,319 times
My most favorite show ever. I think the original would hold up today but not a reboot.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:24 PM

12,440 posts, read 14,981,143 times
For me, "Northern Exposure" and "Newhart" were two of the best TV shows ever aired. The wit and humor in those shows eclipses anything on TV these days.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:18 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,766,554 times
It was one of the biggest, if not the biggest tv show in Poland, during the 90's. Known here as "Przystanek Alaska" (Literally "(Bus, train) stop Alaska"). It was so.. positive, when the reality was so depressing.
Still has a ton of fans here.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:02 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,382,170 times
Loved this show too and watched again on Netflix. I would love a come back but think that they need the original cast. They worked so well together.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:14 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,087,840 times
Default Thanks For The Show Suggestions!

Thanks Ed and Mark for the show suggestions! After previewing them on Youtube, I requested Longmire, Miss Fisher's Mysteries and Detectorists DVD first season sets at my library. Miss Fisher has already arrived and waiting for pickup. Think I will enjoy all three.

For serious die hard fans of NS there is a fan festival they hold every few years in Roslyn Washington called "Moosefest". Certain cast members of the show are there to provide talks, run tours, sign autographs, etc. and there are tours of filming sites, etc. The next one is actually this summer (July 2018). I have not attended one, but for those either close to Roslyn and/or major die hard fans here is a link to the "Moosefest" page...

"Moosefest"

There are also Youtube videos of past festivals, here is one from the 2015 fest with fans "Dancing on Ruthanne's Grave" at the very site the original scene was filmed. This the scene were Ed Chigliak and Ruthanne dance on the gravesite Ed had acquired for her in advance..

"Dancing On Ruthanne's Grave"

Old 02-02-2018, 01:02 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,370,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Thanks Ed and Mark for the show suggestions! After previewing them on Youtube, I requested Longmire, Miss Fisher's Mysteries and Detectorists DVD first season sets at my library. Miss Fisher has already arrived and waiting for pickup. Think I will enjoy all three.

For serious die hard fans of NS there is a fan festival they hold every few years in Roslyn Washington called "Moosefest". Certain cast members of the show are there to provide talks, run tours, sign autographs, etc. and there are tours of filming sites, etc. The next one is actually this summer (July 2018). I have not attended one, but for those either close to Roslyn and/or major die hard fans here is a link to the "Moosefest" page...

"Moosefest"

There are also Youtube videos of past festivals, here is one from the 2015 fest with fans "Dancing on Ruthanne's Grave" at the very site the original scene was filmed. This the scene were Ed Chigliak and Ruthanne dance on the gravesite Ed had acquired for her in advance..

"Dancing On Ruthanne's Grave"
OMG, if I could I'd go. That would be as wonderful as it is to have a hotel full of star trek fen all celebrating together. Some series can maintain a fandom for their tale and some can't but Northern Exposure left enough hanging bits of story it could be picked up tomorrow and have a whole season with just those.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:24 PM

When I lived in Portland my friends and I used to go to Roslyn and watch them film the show. It was really fun.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:02 AM

6,465 posts, read 5,050,156 times
It was a great show, quirky, well written and except for Rob Morrow well acted. I enjoyed the references to the American Indian folklore.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
It was a great show, quirky, well written and except for Rob Morrow well acted. I enjoyed the references to the American Indian folklore.
I’ve posted before about how when my friends and I all went to watch the show being filmed all the actors were really nice to us. I have good memories and a few good stories. Morrow on the other hand was a perfect jerk. A real diva. So full of himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV