Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 63,065 times

Advertisements

I mis northern, I wish they would show reruns or recreate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 07:52 PM

485 posts, read 1,649,095 times
In know what you mean, it was one of the greatest shows. I haven't seen reruns of it in about 5 or 6 years. I do however watch it often on DVD. I'm a member of Blockbuster Online and they have all of the seasons. My kids even enjoy watching it with me. Since they never saw it the first time around, its a real treat for them. I hope this thread doesn't get moved due to being off topic, because I think it definitely belongs in the Alaska forum.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:39 PM

571 posts, read 2,531,437 times
I totally LOVE NX!

I only own season 1 on DVD right now but am working on getting the others soon. A&E network used to have reruns but sold the rights to the Hallmark channel who only ran it very late at night, then dropped it completely. That was before the DVD's came out...I was so mad!

The DVD's are kind of pricey (compared to other shows you can buy on DVD...I guess it has something to do with buying all the original music/soundtrack rights or something) but it's such a good show! Hoping to find a good deal on Ebay

Definitely "jumped the shark" after Rob Morrow left the show though.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:41 AM

15 posts, read 71,060 times
Default Reality

Hello Wildwood and all lovers of ALASKA!! That show is what brought me to Alaska nearly 16 years ago. I was young and thought Hollywood captured reality. I was so wrong. I loved that show and only dreamed about a place like Sicily,Alaska. The time has come though for me to move on. I found what I was looking for here. I was able to raise two great kids in the Alaskan wilderness and give them some experiences that most people never get. Alaska made me who I am today! A great father, a great husband, a great person. Alaska allowed me to find myself and find out who I am. I will miss this land that has been so good to me.
When I reach the border and look back, I will cry. Although brutal in winter, this place they call the greatland has been wonderful to me. Thank you Alaska, thank you for making me who I am today!
This is just part of my process of letting go. Thanks for the forum.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 8,333 times
I realize it's been a while since this topic was active, but something new has come up. Northern Exposure is on Universal HD every day! They started with season 1 episode 1 a couple of days ago, and they're going straight through now (episode 2 is on right now).

Unfortunately, it requires an HD receiver and cable/satellite that carries this channel for you to be able to watch it. There are also other, less legal ways of getting it, which I will not discuss here because I don't want to get booted off the site.

Anyway, the show looks beautiful in HD, and it's even got 5.1 surround sound too! Sicily, Alaska is more beautiful than it ever was.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:33 PM

944 posts, read 3,956,587 times
On another forum there was a thread that asked us to list our 10 favorite TV programs. Less than an hour ago I posted my response and I listed Northern Exposure at Number One! So it's a happy coincidence to see this thread in a totally unrelated forum.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,049,850 times
FWIW
I have no idea if this is true, and it may just be a coinky-dink, but some have said that the creators of Northern Exposure were influenced by the movie Local Hero, which came out in 1983. Very similar plot: the "fish out of water" new guy, gorgeous scenery, quirky small town life. However, this movie takes place in Scotland and its humor is more understated.
The plot, Texas oilmen looking to acquire Scottish coastline, is certainly there, but the movie has quiet humor, but no frantic chase scenes, no explosions--you do see the Northern Lights, though.
Great soundtrack by Mark Knopfler.
Anyway, if you can't watch NE and/or have rented all the DVDs, give Local Hero a try, you might like it.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:06 PM

331 posts, read 2,111,513 times
Hey Alaska and Northern Exposure Lovers.... not sure if you know this, but ,it was filmed in North Bend Washington.. the diner is still there and still serving cherry pie.

And just as beautiful as Alaska..

Old 01-07-2007, 03:13 PM

944 posts, read 3,956,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
Hey Alaska and Northern Exposure Lovers.... not sure if you know this, but ,it was filmed in North Bend Washington.
GAK!!!! Incorrect, my friend, the exteriors for the show are all in Roslyn, WA. I was just there this summer and the wait staff at the bar (can't recall the name) were really unfriendly and acted like they wanted to kill me because I mentioned Northern Exposure. It's a huge tourist draw in Roslyn.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:14 PM

331 posts, read 2,111,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
GAK!!!! Incorrect, my friend, the exteriors for the show are all in Roslyn, WA. I was just there this summer and the wait staff at the bar (can't recall the name) were really unfriendly and acted like they wanted to kill me because I mentioned Northern Exposure. It's a huge tourist draw in Roslyn.
My bad...you are correct...However the diner in that movie IS in North Bend. I believe the name of it is Tweeds Cafe.. ... Same General area... Snoqualmie area of the Breath Taking Cascades!!! I think Roslyn is about a 40 or so minute drive from the Cafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV