Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,549,065 times

Advertisements

I don't agree they were desperate because they did have help and donations just like many families before them have. I think they thought this might be a quick fix. I do believe that noboby including them new that the show would take off. I also believe though that the more they got the more they wanted. With that said things that they would have been happy to get or have didn't look good when there was more to get. I guess we all might have got wrapped in that. Look at the lifes that fall apart when someone wins the lottery. I do think that because of who they are they lost themself. I don't defend Jon but I think he came around to understanding that this wasn't right anymore. I know he responded to how it wasn't right for him not his kids. Kate I don't think gets it or in her mind she keeps saying it is for her kids. I think it is really for her. She would go out to promote book, when on a show like Oprah she would talk. Most of the time on the show she had the last word. So sorry it is about her.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,330,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I don't agree they were desperate because they did have help and donations just like many families before them have. I think they thought this might be a quick fix. I do believe that noboby including them new that the show would take off. I also believe though that the more they got the more they wanted. With that said things that they would have been happy to get or have didn't look good when there was more to get. I guess we all might have got wrapped in that. Look at the lifes that fall apart when someone wins the lottery. I do think that because of who they are they lost themself. I don't defend Jon but I think he came around to understanding that this wasn't right anymore. I know he responded to how it wasn't right for him not his kids. Kate I don't think gets it or in her mind she keeps saying it is for her kids. I think it is really for her. She would go out to promote book, when on a show like Oprah she would talk. Most of the time on the show she had the last word. So sorry it is about her.
I agree. I don't think they were "desperate" when they started the show. Their choices were an uncertain financial future. Perhaps doing ok month to month but probably never taking vacations or saving for college, OR have themselves filmed, document the kids early years, and make some money too. Sounds like a win-win. They couldn't have predicted that it would get to be so popular and that they'd be pressured to film more and more and that it would grow into what it has become.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:27 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,532,318 times
I feel bad for Jon it's clear he wants out but he cannot get out because he signed on the dotted line because of Kate's constant "This is so we can feed our children" and "Don't you care about me and my career" bull crap.

When I was watching the show and she was talking about her career I was like what career? Since when is pimping out your kids a career.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:36 PM

2,377 posts, read 4,350,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I feel bad for Jon it's clear he wants out but he cannot get out because he signed on the dotted line because of Kate's constant "This is so we can feed our children" and "Don't you care about me and my career" bull crap.

When I was watching the show and she was talking about her career I was like what career? Since when is pimping out your kids a career.
They both have issues. Kate is clearly domineering and selfish while Jon is too wimpy and clearly lacks confidence or he would have stood up to his wife a long time ago.

It's easy to see how the pushy and the meek initially compliment one another, but when both sides are polarized to the extreme, it's like trying to push together two magnets that have opposite magnetic polarity. It just won't work.

For this marriage to last, Jon needs to find his voice and stand up for himself and Kate needs to learn that marriage is team where both people SHARE leadership. Because Jon's so wimpy, Kate probably feels like she has to be the "man" for both of them. I'm not excusing her behavior, but I kind of understand it. Feeling like she's forced to take on extra responsibility makes her angry and resentful, but it's a false dilemma. She really should help Jon come out of his shell so that he can take on more so she doesn't feel like everything's always on her shoulders.

just my .02

Old 05-28-2009, 09:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,330,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
They both have issues. Kate is clearly domineering and selfish while Jon is too wimpy and clearly lacks confidence or he would have stood up to his wife a long time ago.

It's easy to see how the pushy and the meek initially compliment one another, but when both sides are polarized to the extreme, it's like trying to push together two magnets that have opposite magnetic polarity. It just won't work.

For this marriage to last, Jon needs to find his voice and stand up for himself and Kate needs to learn that marriage is team where both people SHARE leadership. Because Jon's so wimpy, Kate probably feels like she has to be the "man" for both of them. I'm not excusing her behavior, but I kind of understand it. Feeling like she's forced to take on extra responsibility makes her angry and resentful, but it's a false dilemma. She really should help Jon come out of his shell so that he can take on more so she doesn't feel like everything's always on her shoulders.

just my .02
I agree. Even though I think she treats him like crap, I can understand the "if no one else is going to do it, I will" feeling that she probably had when trying to take care of 6 babies. I know that when we have family visit and the group is standing around, no one speaking up about what we are doing or where we are going, I will just make that decision. Some one has to. That may be her whole life with easy going Jon and 8 kids to take care of.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,590,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post

just my .02
I think that is a very good explanation...and to add to it, I think that the more domineering Kate becomes, the more like a passive-agressive and rebelious teenager Jon becomes, which in turn makes Kate feel the need to take on yet more and be the martyr which then makes Jon do something stupid which in turn......

ETA - It's like "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" who cares, but now they are both in deep.

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-28-2009 at 10:31 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 PM

2,377 posts, read 4,350,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think that is a very good explanation...and to add to it, I think that the more domineering Kate becomes, the more like a passive-agressive and rebelious teenager Jon becomes, which in turn makes Kate feel the need to take on yet more and be the martyr which then makes Jon do something stupid which in turn......
I def agree that they're stuck in a downward spiral. They need counseling, or someone they both trust, to gently point this out to them and to help them get back on track. I feel that they're way to stuck in their own view to pull themselves out of it by themselves.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,549,065 times
Well HLN on Showbiz tonight did a piece again on the subject and had on the guy was a child actor and started a foundation to protect child actors. He was very insightful. Anyway they read a statement from TLC that stated that the ratings on the show are going up and as long as there is public interest and the family still wants to do it the show goes on. So it sounded like they could get out of it. It also says what I and others are saying if people do not watch this show and the rating go down this will get the show off the air. In my opinion saving these children .

Old 05-29-2009, 06:52 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,579,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I agree. I don't think they were "desperate" when they started the show. Their choices were an uncertain financial future. Perhaps doing ok month to month but probably never taking vacations or saving for college, OR have themselves filmed, document the kids early years, and make some money too. Sounds like a win-win. They couldn't have predicted that it would get to be so popular and that they'd be pressured to film more and more and that it would grow into what it has become.
I seriously doubt that they were 'doing ok month to month'. Kate said she always made more $$ than Jon--as a nurse. When she worked full time that might be around $30,000? So Jon was not making enough $$ at any point to support a wife and 2 kids on one income and then there were 6.

'Aunt Jodi' said you could see the fear in their eyes.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,630,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
so does kate raising the kids alone make all you kate haters happy????

very few of you think those 2 should try marriage counseling FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN!
According to Kate herself...she'd been raising the kids all alone and Jon is useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV