Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times

Advertisements

This is another one I'm watching simply because there is not much better on. It will also be interesting to see what a train wreck it will become after two seasons. People are going to get bored of the characters and they'll have to either pull a Gilligan's Island move where guests just somehow show up randomly or they will have to pull a Nikki and Paolo trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 02:34 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,017,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
This is another one I'm watching simply because there is not much better on. It will also be interesting to see what a train wreck it will become after two seasons. People are going to get bored of the characters and they'll have to either pull a Gilligan's Island move where guests just somehow show up randomly or they will have to pull a Nikki and Paolo trick.
Nice LOST reference...I dig it!

I'm not sure how they're going to continue...I just don't know how Junior is going to keep his gf in check. I'm worried for the girl and that constant worry about her just plain bugs me. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,906 times
[/quote]In post #89 I mentioned using a nuclear bomb to disable the dome, but a more logical choice would be to set it off underground to minimize the affects for radiation on the surface. If this really happened, I would hope the military would have enough common sense to detonate the bomb underground. The underground in the cement factory would have been a more logical choice to detonate the bomb.

[/quote]

Okay, but.......the cement factory is inside the dome, and the nuclear bombs are outside the dome, so detonating it underground wasn't really an option, right?

I'm surprised they didn't try an Electromagnetic Pulse, since the dome appears to be electric in nature.

Last edited by librarySue; 07-30-2013 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 04:00 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,906 times
Remember, this is Stephen King. We might think there is some legit Sci-Fi explanation for this dome, but there is sure to be a supernatural force at work. When you open that door, you can do ANYTHING with your story.

Haven't you been watching Haven on Sci-Fi?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,957 times
Aliens. That may be what keeps this show going for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Remember, this is Stephen King. We might think there is some legit Sci-Fi explanation for this dome, but there is sure to be a supernatural force at work. When you open that door, you can do ANYTHING with your story.

Haven't you been watching Haven on Sci-Fi?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Aliens. That may be what keeps this show going for a while.
Yhea. I think aliens are at work here! Maybe they've taken over the body of those 2 teenagers! I know when I had teenagers in my house, I often thought they were alien!!!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
I noticed in the beginning of watching the latest episode online they just called the bomb a "missile" twice no mention of nuclear.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Yhea. I think aliens are at work here! Maybe they've taken over the body of those 2 teenagers! I know when I had teenagers in my house, I often thought they were alien!!!
You laugh, but ...

Spoiler
In the book, the dome is caused by alien teenagers. I kid thee not. That said, the TV show (at least so far) is hardly anything like the book.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:23 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Count me out. I watched the first 3 under the assumption it would end in a couple months. Now that it's become a SERIES I have no interest. I won't miss it, it wasn't good, but I figured I could put in 13 hours or so. I know the story from the book so I'm well aware that this can't go on for long, it has an ending and I don't give a hoot about personal drama of stupid characters, even if they do change the facts about the dome.

I'm a firm believer in most shows like this being a miniseries with a definite beginning-middle-end. I hate Hate HATE the "LOST- style" series and will never again start watching a show like that which has no limits placed on it. FACT: I loved LOST but got distracted and bored and never finished it. I never will. Miniseries allow for excellent story telling, writing and acting. It also allows for MORE stories to be told, more actors to be employed, more great characters to come to life. We sure do like to beat dead horses.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:00 PM

380 posts, read 376,928 times
Well horse puckies. They killed off Sabrina's aunt. Was kind of watching because I like her as an actress.

Token crowd out of control episode. Meh.

Since insulin is a liquid and depending on the osmosis rate, the outside authorities may be able to pump insulin through the dome to help the diabetics.

Really don't like the 'incompetent government' trope being used. No communication with the towns people. Missile fired with no warning. No attempt to help at all other than some token reunion with the families split apart by the dome.

I don't get why the government doesn't set up camp on the main road going into town. Outputting text to a large screen tv hooked up to a lap top would be sufficient. The towns people would only need one of those portable chalk boards from the local school on their end to write on if they can't do the same or can't keep their electrical equipment going.

Once communications are established I would think the scientists would be eager to get somebody inside the dome to do experiments for them to test things on the town side of the dome.

Also survival experts could be telling the people what they should be doing to cope with the inevitable loss of tech. Since we've seen wind blowing inside the dome, some engineers could be showing the mechanics in town on how to hook up a power generator to a windmill to create power.

Beyond that I'm sure the families split apart would at least like to keep in regular contact with their loved ones stuck in town. Also putting up a newspaper on a pin board would keep people inside the dome informed of what's going on outside.

Not sure how Big Jim got elected to the town council. The guy's pretty incompetent as well. He should be less reactive and more proactive. Here are things BJ should already know:

1. Water supply for the town. Big Jim should have had those wells already listed and ready to go. He should have people recheck any wells that are thought to be dry. Also aerating the lake water will get rid of the methane.

2. Food. Should already have met with the local farmers to see what acreage would be needed to be planted to feed the town, how much manpower will be needed to manually plant, maintain and harvest the fields. Also how much seed is available to planet to grow crops and how seed stock can be maintained for next planting season. Citizens also should be asked to plant gardens to supplement the crops coming from the fields. Also those dead fish at the lake should be carted off to a freezer unit before they spoil.

3. Electricity. As mentioned before looks like the town gets windy, so some kind of electrical generator could be hooked up to a windmill(s) to recharge devices or supply critical areas such as the hospital with electricity. Not a constant supply, but anything is better than nothing. Horses can also be used to crank generators. Build a big enough wheel to put a horse in and attach it to the generator. If there are any old water mills in town, they can be used as well.

4. Transportation. Inventory all the bicycles in the dome and put them into public use. Inventory all horses in the dome and start making plans for studding for more horses taking in account how much land is available to feed the increased horse population. Also plan an area to park vehicles that have run out of gas. No use clogging the street with rusting hulks.

Nothing against King, but he needs to think through the scenarios he builds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV