Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:57 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,747,652 times

Advertisements

Don't forget they also recast Gladys Kravitz. I loved the original one, but I think she died (?) and they were forced to recast. Of course, it didn't matter that much since all she did was peer out the window a lot and screech "ABNER!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 09:02 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
What does anyone think of Married With Children - Steve leaving and Jefferson coming in?

Who did you like better?
I liked both!!
That has to be one of the best shows ever.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:57 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp View Post
They were two separate shows. First one he played a psychologist in Chicago. Married to Suzanne Pleshette's character and Bill Daily played his airline pilot neighbor. His secretary was played by Edna Krabappel

Second series was titled simply "Newhart" and featured Bob as a writer of how-to books who operated an historic inn in Vermont with his blonde wife. The end of that series had the dream sequence you described.

To further confuse things, Bob had a variety show in the early 60s also called "The Bob Newhart Show."
Ditto this. The first series was definitely in Chicago. The opening scene showed an apartment building in Chicago just a block away from where I used to live. And the rest of the shots were of downtown Chicago.

The blond lady who played his wife in the second series in the Vermont Inn was Mary Frann.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
They replaced Spartacus with Liam Mcintyre because Andy Whitfield lost his battle with cancer. I thought Liam did a great job. RIP Andy.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,643 times
Barbara Bel Geddes played the original Miss Ellie Ewing on Dallas. She became ill during the seventh season. Donna Reed assumed the role of Miss Ellie for the rest of the season. Barbara decided to resume acting the next season. Donna sued for breach of contract and settled out of court.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
With the narrower limitation of different actors playing same character: Britcom "May to December" switched co-star mid-series, from to Eve Matheson to Lesley Dunlop. Very jarring, and I disliked the change (they looked and sounded very different)-though with how the character became a mom, it fit better with the second actress.

Soap operas, by necessity of how many episodes are made (per day/week/year, and year after year), seem to have a lot of instances where different actors take over the same role, high turnover.

If we're talking about the much broader category of "different actor in different role, but obviously brought in to replace (name of star)": Richard Grieco for the departing Johnny Depp on "21 Jump Street". No way.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:53 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
The oldest daughter, Becky, on Roseanne changed actresses.

and if memory serves me correct, she changed back.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:33 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
When Larry Wilcox left "CHiPs" because of a salary dispute, he was replaced by Bruce Kardashian, err, I mean Bruce Jenner. The producers figured Erik Estrada was the real star of the show and they could pair him with any generic tall, blonde white guy and the show would still be successful
You've got that totally confused. Bruce Jenner replaced Estrada during a contract dispute for 10 episodes. When Larry Wilcox left because Estrada was being a PITA to deal with onset, he was replaced by two guys: Bobby Nelson (Tom Reilly) and Bruce Nelson (Bruce Penhall).

Old 09-16-2012, 03:38 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Don't forget they also recast Gladys Kravitz. I loved the original one, but I think she died (?) and they were forced to recast. Of course, it didn't matter that much since all she did was peer out the window a lot and screech "ABNER!".
OMG. Funny. I think I remember the original one and of course the other one who took over. Wasn't the original Louise different from the 2nd one, too? (Larry Tate's wife)

Old 09-16-2012, 04:54 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

If we're talking about the much broader category of "different actor in different role, but obviously brought in to replace (name of star)": Richard Grieco for the departing Johnny Depp on "21 Jump Street". No way.
Night Court had 3 different public defenders...the one most remember was played by Markie Post, but seasons 1 & 2 each had a different forgettable actress in the role. More memorably, the female bailiff role also lost 2 actresses (due to death) so there were 3 in total: Selma, Florence & Roz.

How about actors that played different roles on the same show? On Golden Girls, Rose went out with a guy named Arnie played by Harold Gould. He only had 1 episode but then came back to the show as a different suitor named Miles, who stuck around for a few seasons.

There were also 2 different actresses that played Blanche's daughter Rebecca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV