Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 AM

356 posts, read 917,455 times

Advertisements

With regard to replacing characters, 2 that I thought were interesting were:

1) The X-files: replacing Mulder and Scully with Doggett and Reyes
2) The West Wing: focus on electing Jimmy Smits character as a replacement for Martin Sheen.

I thought both shows did a good job with the transitions and I would have been interested in watching either show with the new characters. But, I didn’t have high hopes of either being renewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 01:28 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,645,646 times
The Jeffersons had two different actors play Lionel (I didn't like the second one at all).

Actually if you want to be picky, on All in the Family before the Jeffersons got their own show - Jenny's mother was played by a different actress than Roxie Roker and the dad too.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,169,023 times
One more...on Diff'rent Strokes, Mr. Drummond's wife Maggie was originally played by Dixie Carter, then replaced by Mary Ann Mobley.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:41 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,157,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
One more...on Diff'rent Strokes, Mr. Drummond's wife Maggie was originally played by Dixie Carter, then replaced by Mary Ann Mobley.

There was a wife in there? I thought they never showed one? But I alsdo can't remember if I show the show from the start - depends when it first started.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 AM

8,074 posts, read 4,753,189 times
Late in the show's run, the show was losing its focus since Gary Coleman was outgrowing the "precocious young child with funny lines" role, so they pulled a "Cousin Oliver" (named for the character introduced into The Brady Bunch). Mr. Drummond remarried, and got a stepson (Danny Cooksey) who filled the new "precocious young child with the funny lines" role. Just like TBB, the introduction of new characters didn't help and the show got cancelled anyway.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,157,188 times
Oh okay! Later on. I thought it meant his late (?) wife. I was gonna say I thought at the start of the show he was a single father.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 AM

374 posts, read 472,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
My all time favorite was the very last episode of The Bob Newhart Show. In the first original plot line of the show, he and Suzzanne Pleshette lived in an apartment I think in Manhattan, or New York, and he was a psychiatrist. At the end of the show they would be lying in bed talking, as they faded out. When that season ended, he moved the series to the east coast, and a blond actress played his wife. I can't remember her name. The final episode payed homage to the first incarnation of the show with Bob laying in bed talking to his wife in the dark. In this final show, he was telling his wife he had a nightmare that he had moved to the east coast, and was a psychiatrist in a country town, and how much he hated it. Without missing a beat, the light comes on, and he and Suzzanne Pleshette are lying in the original bed in the original bedroom set of the first show, and she turns to him and says " O, Bob, just go back to sleep, it was just a bad dream." Hilarious!
They were two separate shows. First one he played a psychologist in Chicago. Married to Suzanne Pleshette's character and Bill Daily played his airline pilot neighbor. His secretary was played by Edna Krabapple

Second series was titled simply "Newhart" and featured Bob as a writer of how-to books who operated an historic inn in Vermont with his blonde wife. The end of that series had the dream sequence you described.

To further confuse things, Bob had a variety show in the early 60s also called "The Bob Newhart Show."

Old 08-11-2012, 06:01 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,958,215 times
Kngith Rider: Without any explanation, they Replaced Bonnie (Patricia Mcpherson) with April (Rebecca Holden) as KITT's technician. Patricia later returned to the show again as Bonnie.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,110,249 times
Sliders into season 3 I believe.
First we end up losing Arturo, then we end up losing Wade.
Both of these characters are replaced by what I would call "eye-candy" along with drifting from the original topic of "what if", to these running villain story-lines.

Come around to its move to the then Sci-Fi channel, we lose everyone except for Rembrandt Brown and the show just nosedives into realms of "we're just making it up as we go along".

Fortunately, I feel some things with this particular show have been set up in a way that if the show were to be brought back, they could easily get all of the original characters and even the actors involved again.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:13 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,241,393 times
On Bewitched, they also changed actresses for the role of Louise Tate. I liked the 2ed better, but I loved Dick York more for Darren. The 2ed one was way too stern. Odd they were both named Dick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV