Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:55 PM

589 posts, read 1,109,330 times

Advertisements

The heart of the debate is who should control the definition of marriage? The church or the state? Is marriage a religious institution? Perhaps the state shuld issue a domestic partnership license to all - gay and straight - members of society. Then, we can all let the churches decide if they will 'bless' the union or not. That is separation of church and state, and would be equal treatment in the eyes of the law. If the churches continue to preach to their members about how to vote, then they need to pay taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:17 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,256,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
That's rediculous Okie 1962.....Are you saying that GAYS in CALIFORNIA
Don't Have Liberty And JUST US 4 ALL........
Yes that is exactly what I am saying and it is not ridiculous. Why should it matter to you that two people who care a heck of a lot for each other get the same benefits that the state of CA gives you and your spouse? Why is that so important for you to deny them that? How does that affect you? Do you feel like your relationship with your spouse is in danger if gays are aloud to marry? And why are you so freaked out over this?

Sorry for the cut and paste but this is an example of the Rights and Protections Denied Same-Sex Partners.

Because same-sex couples are denied the right to marry, same-sex couples and their families are denied access to the more than 1,138 federal rights, protections and responsibilities automatically granted to married heterosexual couples. Among those are:
  • The right to make decisions on a partner's behalf in a medical emergency. Specifically, the states generally provide that spouses automatically assume this right in an emergency. If an individual is unmarried, the legal "next of kin" automatically assumes this right. This means, for example, that a gay man with a life partner of many years may be forced to accept the financial and medical decisions of a sibling or parent with whom he may have a distant or even hostile relationship.
  • The right to take up to 12 weeks of leave from work to care for a seriously ill partner or parent of a partner. The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 permits individuals to take such leave to care for ill spouses, children and parents but not a partner or a partner's parents.
  • The right to petition for same-sex partners to immigrate.
  • The right to assume parenting rights and responsibilities when children are brought into a family through birth, adoption, surrogacy or other means. For example, in most states, there is no law providing a noncustodial, nonbiological or nonadoptive parent's right to visit a child - or responsibility to provide financial support for that child - in the event of a breakup.
  • The right to share equitably all jointly held property and debt in the event of a breakup, since there are no laws that cover the dissolution of domestic partnerships.
  • Family-related Social security benefits, income and estate tax benefits, disability benefits, family-related military and veterans benefits and other important benefits.
  • The right to inherit property from a partner in the absence of a will.
  • The right to purchase continued health coverage for a domestic partner after the loss of a job.
Such inequities impose added costs on these families, such as increased health insurance premiums, higher tax burdens and the absence of pension benefits or Social Security benefits in the event of a partner's death.
Some same-sex and transgender families consult attorneys to draw up legal documents such as powers of attorney, co-parenting agreements and wills, that will at least permit them to declare who they wish to make health care and financial decisions for them if they become incapacitated; how they wish to share parenting responsibilities or, in the event of a breakup, custody of a child; and what they want to happen to their property when they die. However, these are not a substitute for legal protection under law and cannot provide the broad range of benefits and protections provided by law.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,550,705 times
Absolutely, Okie!!!!

It gets even weirder. When I was in the hospital the staff automatically assumed the GP was my legal husband. Nobody ever questioned his status and discussed my medical condition with him freely. All that because we are heterosexual.

How stupid is that???

Old 07-24-2010, 12:15 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,602,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Yes that is exactly what I am saying and it is not ridiculous. Why should it matter to you that two people who care a heck of a lot for each other get the same benefits that the state of CA gives you and your spouse? Why is that so important for you to deny them that? How does that affect you? Do you feel like your relationship with your spouse is in danger if gays are aloud to marry? And why are you so freaked out over this?

Sorry for the cut and paste but this is an example of the Rights and Protections Denied Same-Sex Partners.

Because same-sex couples are denied the right to marry, same-sex couples and their families are denied access to the more than 1,138 federal rights, protections and responsibilities automatically granted to married heterosexual couples. Among those are:
  • The right to make decisions on a partner's behalf in a medical emergency. Specifically, the states generally provide that spouses automatically assume this right in an emergency. If an individual is unmarried, the legal "next of kin" automatically assumes this right. This means, for example, that a gay man with a life partner of many years may be forced to accept the financial and medical decisions of a sibling or parent with whom he may have a distant or even hostile relationship.
  • The right to take up to 12 weeks of leave from work to care for a seriously ill partner or parent of a partner. The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 permits individuals to take such leave to care for ill spouses, children and parents but not a partner or a partner's parents.
  • The right to petition for same-sex partners to immigrate.
  • The right to assume parenting rights and responsibilities when children are brought into a family through birth, adoption, surrogacy or other means. For example, in most states, there is no law providing a noncustodial, nonbiological or nonadoptive parent's right to visit a child - or responsibility to provide financial support for that child - in the event of a breakup.
  • The right to share equitably all jointly held property and debt in the event of a breakup, since there are no laws that cover the dissolution of domestic partnerships.
  • Family-related Social security benefits, income and estate tax benefits, disability benefits, family-related military and veterans benefits and other important benefits.
  • The right to inherit property from a partner in the absence of a will.
  • The right to purchase continued health coverage for a domestic partner after the loss of a job.
Such inequities impose added costs on these families, such as increased health insurance premiums, higher tax burdens and the absence of pension benefits or Social Security benefits in the event of a partner's death.
Some same-sex and transgender families consult attorneys to draw up legal documents such as powers of attorney, co-parenting agreements and wills, that will at least permit them to declare who they wish to make health care and financial decisions for them if they become incapacitated; how they wish to share parenting responsibilities or, in the event of a breakup, custody of a child; and what they want to happen to their property when they die. However, these are not a substitute for legal protection under law and cannot provide the broad range of benefits and protections provided by law.
Sorry that it took me so long to get back to you....but my wife just
had a Kidney Tranplant and is in the hospital from the 16th of July
unto today with her discharge date up in the air.

The thing(s) that you said are all (Talking..Points) that are used (When)
(I) or Somebody Else ...says that GAYS have EQUAL RIGHTS In...The...
State...Of...CALIFORNIA...It's ALL COMES BACK TO WHAT THE..UNITED
...STATES...OF..AMERICA (Won't Allow GAYS To Do) and there's NOTHING
THAT ....CALIFORNIA...CAN....DO...ABOUT...that...SORRY. .my friend.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Absolutely, Okie!!!!

It gets even weirder. When I was in the hospital the staff automatically assumed the GP was my legal husband. Nobody ever questioned his status and discussed my medical condition with him freely. All that because we are heterosexual.

How stupid is that???
Yeah AR please give me a Dollar for every Stupid Human Act...I
have a Hotel That I Want To BUILD In The Greenwood District..
I have even heard that HOSPITALS in state with GAY MARRIAGE
sometime are guilty of DENIAL OF LEGAL RIGHTS....and this is on
the EASTERN SEABOARD..your STOMPING GROUNDS...and by the way
CALIFORNIA ..HAVE...HAD...HOMOSEXUAL MARRIAGE..(LEGAL)...IN THE
PAST REMEMBER and the sheer FACT OF THAT DIDN'T GIVE GAYS THE
RIGHTS DENIED THEM BY ..THE..FEDERAL...GOVERNMENT...now did IT.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:23 PM

So Howard why should it matter to you if gays marry?

Old 07-24-2010, 07:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,550,705 times
Quote:
Excellent question.

The neo-cons always claim that acknowledging gay marriage would be a threat to the "American family values". As if making it legal would turn a heterosexual into a homosexual. Of course, these claims are made by the likes of guys who are getting caught in men's rooms.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Listen Okie1962 I'm not your enemy , and this is what I think...
and also what Sir Elton John think....Domestic Partnerships are
EQUAL TO MARRIAGE....what GAYS do in their's "bed rooms" is
of no concern to me...And Men That Think Like Me...sure I won't
ever engage in a "homosexual act" , but I'm not going to put GAYS
In BONDAGE because I'm HETEROSEXUAL ! ! !

Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annemieke roell View Post
excellent question.

The neo-cons

oh no you didn't...call me a nea-con..you're trying to cut me off at the
knee's....

always claim that acknowledging gay marriage would be a threat to the "american family values". As if making it legal would turn a heterosexual into a homosexual.

i know the radical gays agenda it's not equal rights..it's having the
same institutions , it's not like the "ban on interacial marriage" , because
black men and white men do the same thing to white women..not so with
gays their's method of loving is "totally different"

of course, these claims are made by the likes of guys who are getting caught in men's rooms.
yipes....

Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 PM

"i know the radical gays agenda it's not equal rights..it's having the
same institutions"

So how is that not equal???

, it's not like the "ban on interacial marriage" , because
black men and white men do the same thing to white women..not so with
gays their's method of loving is "totally different"

Let me guess.....you're married to a white woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: