Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,959,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
"Dirty Ugly COWTOWN" - I thought the person who started this thread only wanted the positives folks.
He's talking about THEN HT. OkC is a completely different city than it was then, as I stated in my post. The city has gone in the opposite direction since '76. His post was a positive statement about the NEW OkC, which is now a fantastic place to live, work, and play. I am absolutely positive that Howest's opinion of OkC is of a vibrant, beautiful city filled with possibilities. OkC reminds me of Charlotte, NC in how it has reinvented itself. Phenomenal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,006,036 times
And whats the problem with dirty ugly cowtowns? As long as you kick the s*** off your boots, don't manhandle the girls, and keep your whiskey drinkin under control, they are good places to be..............

Old 08-06-2009, 10:36 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,764,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
He's talking about THEN HT. OkC is a completely different city than it was then, as I stated in my post. The city has gone in the opposite direction since '76. His post was a positive statement about the NEW OkC, which is now a fantastic place to live, work, and play. I am absolutely positive that Howest's opinion of OkC is of a vibrant, beautiful city filled with possibilities. OkC reminds me of Charlotte, NC in how it has reinvented itself. Phenomenal.
I understand. BUT- OKC was not a nasty dirty cowtown in the 70s. That is an extreme statement.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I understand. BUT- OKC was not a nasty dirty cowtown in the 70s. That is an extreme statement.
HT, it was a pretty drab place in the 70s. It's a credit to the citizens of OkC how much they (you) have turned that place around. It's now a stellar city.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,613,272 times
Default You're SPINNING ME Happytown...I Wrote In 1976

Quote:
"Dirty Ugly COWTOWN" - I thought the person who started this thread only wanted the positives folks.
OKLAHOMA CITY is not a DUSTY DIRTY COWTOWN IN 2009....
Now I said that Oklahoma City was a COWTOWN In 1976...there's
a 33 YEARS Time differences between then and now.Happytown how
was Oklahoma City in your eye's in 1976 , i gave you my opinion.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:48 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,190,342 times
Quote:
Don't have much? Are you kidding me? And that's an understatement about OkC making progress. The city has reinvented itself, literally. The OkC we see today doesn't even resemble the city it was 20 years ago, and I mean that in a good way.

NBA basketball (with some of the best attendence records in the league), a new and revitalized downtown, a beautiful baseball stadium, the Oklahoma river, the Paseo Arts District... The list goes on and on. OkC has probably made more enhancements to its quality of life than any other city in America over the last 20 years.

I lived in OkC for a very short time in the late 70s after graduating high school. To be honest, it was a dump then.. Since then, it has made a 180 degree turnaround.
Ummm, Synopsis you don't have to convince me of what OKC is doing. Believe me I'm very up to date on it. When I said we don't have much I was referring to professional sports.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Ummm, Synopsis you don't have to convince me of what OKC is doing. Believe me I'm very up to date on it. When I said we don't have much I was referring to professional sports.
OkC's got more than the rest of the state Nameless! I mean this in the most positive way friend. The OkC Thunder are going to be something special in the coming years. The support of the fans will bolster the team to the upper tier of the NBA before too long.

Last edited by Synopsis; 08-08-2009 at 07:26 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,479,400 times
Howest, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize that and I think it's noble of you to stay together until the transplant is over. Good luck to you and your wife on that. I'm also a bit shocked that after that many years you are going your separate ways, but things happen.... I have a second cousin who got divorce papers on the day of his 40th anniversary. Personally, I thought that was a bit cruel with the timing and all.

Sorry that I didn't see your post sooner and reply. I'm more of a weekend Okie.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:01 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,764,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
OKLAHOMA CITY is not a DUSTY DIRTY COWTOWN IN 2009....
Now I said that Oklahoma City was a COWTOWN In 1976...there's
a 33 YEARS Time differences between then and now.Happytown how
was Oklahoma City in your eye's in 1976 , i gave you my opinion.
I wasn't around in the early 70's so your probably right, but OKC was a boom town in the 30's to the 50's. It has had its up and downs. OKC's downtown was destroyed in the 70's by the infamous IM Pei.

In the 30's OKC was a vibrant downtown and was very similar to Dallas by having some of the tallest skyscrapers west of the Mississippi.

One of many beautiful buildings destoyed during the urban renewal in the 60's
http://okhistory.org/community/fic/files/2009/05/21412m2103baumbuild.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by happytown; 08-09-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 02:38 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,190,342 times
Quote:
OkC's got more than the rest of the state Nameless! I mean this in the most positive way friend. The OkC Thunder are going to be something special in the coming years. The support of the fans will bolster the team to the upper tier of the NBA before too long.
True, but that's still pretty minimal, considering the city I'm looking to move to has a team in the big three plus soccer, hockey, lacrosse, etc, etc. But yes we are the best in the state!

Sidebar: OKC sure looked bigger in the 30's than today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa