Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:45 PM

193 posts, read 842,842 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a great place to eat at w/ my family. We are not too picky, even if it is a hole in the wall (sometimes those are the yummiest places). We are visiting from TX so we want to go somewhere unique to this area. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:43 PM

702 posts, read 2,517,195 times
Great Wall for mongolian bbq:
the great wall in tulsa - Google Maps

Wonderful affordable seafood - The White River:
White River Fish Market and Restaurant of Tulsa, Oklahoma

Get the red beans and rice!! You'll thank me later!

Best hamburger you'll ever eat - Goldies:
Goldie's Patio Grill
Go to the original location on S. Lewis.

Best home cooking style restaurant in the Tulsa area is Shilohs:
http://www.tulsafoodblog.com/lunch/s...emade-goodness

Old 06-06-2009, 12:26 AM

193 posts, read 842,842 times
Yum! I will definatly try a couple of your places. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:08 AM

258 posts, read 1,014,669 times
One of my favorite new dives is

"Hibiscus" Caribbean Bar and Grill in Brookside Hibiscus Caribbean Bar & Grill - Tulsa, Oklahoma Woooonderful Jerk Chicken man, and Rum cake to die for. The owner/chef was a native of the Caribbean so the food is as authentic as you will find in these parts.

For a great view, good Mexican food and killer margaritas. Try "El Guapo's Cantina" El Guapo's Cantina, Tulsa, Oklahoma sit on the rooftop (usually packed so be prepared to wait, or my trick is to squeeze in at the rooftop bar) and enjoy the view of downtown.

Or right next door is "Joe Mommas Pizza" Welcome! wooonderful selection of crisp, brick oven pizzas from the vegetarian... to the meat lovers T-Rex!

Or, right around the corner is McNellies Pub, http://www.mcnellies.com/ great pub food of course, and probably one of the largest beer selections of any place in the region, including some great local brews MarshallBrewingCompany (http://marshallbrewing.com/home.asp - broken link)

Great breakfast place.... Blue Dome Diner. Blue Dome Diner « Indie Tulsa MySpace.com - Blue Dome Diner - 40 - Male - TULSA, Oklahoma - www.myspace.com/bluedomediner

Best Tapas restaurant and has wonderful atmosphere.... Lola's at the Bowery (http://www.lolasatthebowery.com/lolas%20web/home.html - broken link)

Oooh and if ya need a great cup of Jo to get your day started... try Topeca Coffee Topeca Coffee or Double Shot DoubleShot Coffee Company (http://www.doubleshotcoffee.com/DoubleShot.html - broken link)

If you tire of the local dives and want some local Chic, I would recommend D'Novo, every item on the menu is 500 calories or less. Amaaaazingly tasty and well prepared, great presentation, classy, contempo atmosphere D’NOVO Tulsa Hamburger Picture | The Tulsa Food Blog

I could go on and on there are so many wonderful and fun places to eat in Tulsa. Avoid the chains,,, life is too short. Enjoy the unique and local flavors. Most of the places listed above are in Downtown with the exceptions of D'Novo and Hibiscus.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 AM

59 posts, read 238,147 times
for the best burger, although Goldies is very good and worth the stop, you must go to Hardens at 4th & Sheridan, best burgers in the world, and the place is decorated with lots of stuff that will keep you busy looking at.

and check out any one of the many BBQ places we have, Wilsons on Pine is awesome.

Steak Stuffers USA, at 51st & Memorial, very authentic Philly steak sammich, and other types also, the cheeseburger stuffer is very good too.

one of my favorite Mexican places is Speedy Gonzalez, ironically located across the street from one of the worst, Casa Bonita, 21st & Sheridan, Speedys is actually at about 23rd, but you are from Texas, so Mexican food is not really a treat for you, you have good ones there too.

Pizza, try Marios for a great New York style pizza, 51st & Harvard, next to Food Pyramid.

as far as Owasso goes, mostly chain restaurants, nothoing really there that you havent already been to

Old 06-06-2009, 11:51 AM

702 posts, read 2,517,195 times
I would never recommend any of Tulsa's mexican restaurants, especially to someone from Texas. I lived in Dallas for 5 years, awesome number of mexican restaurants down there and nothing in Tulsa compares. Abuelos is very good here in Tulsa but it's a chain. My favorite in Dallas is Herreras, 13B on the menu! OMG it's so good!!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post
I would never recommend any of Tulsa's mexican restaurants, especially to someone from Texas. I lived in Dallas for 5 years, awesome number of mexican restaurants down there and nothing in Tulsa compares. Abuelos is very good here in Tulsa but it's a chain. My favorite in Dallas is Herreras, 13B on the menu! OMG it's so good!!
Many of the chains in Tulsa originated in Dallas and use the same recepies. It may not be cooked as well, but it's theoretically the same food. Abuelo's is one of these chains. El Chico is another--El Chico has been in Dallas for 50+ years. Hererra's is very good in Big D, but the prototypical Tex-Mex chain is probably El Fenix.

Also, I always thought Casa Bonita was a place you went to for the experience and not for the food. Isn't the food kind of low-grade buffet stuff? That's what I remember from my early childhood birthday parties, at least.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,318 times
El Rio Verde at Admiral and Utica --- definitely the best mexican food I've had here in a long, long time!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 19,093 times
Default good places to eat

Our favorite place is El Jalapeno Grill on Hwy 20 in Collinsville. It's just about 5 miles north of Owasso. There food is fantastic, especially the homemade chips and guacamole. Modest location but we'll go there over any Tulsa Mexican restaurant!

Another good place is Chastains in Sand Springs on Main Street. They are known for their tortilla soup. They usually have musicians on Thursdays.

Hideaway Pizza has several locations but eating on the patio on 15th Street is really a neat experience. These restaurants are very affordable and family friendly. Yum!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 AM

340 posts, read 1,286,310 times
Phat Phillies is real authentic philly cheesesteak. Steak Stuffers is a cheap knock-off.

If you want real mexican try Mexico Lindo, Speedy Gonzalez or Las Americas. If you're being served mexican food by a caucasian high school cheerleader, it's not mexican food. Abuelos and El Chico are chains and a step above TV dinners, no matter which state you eat them in.

For well-topped specialty pizzas, Joe Momma's is the best and Brothers Pizza is second. For cheap flat NY style slices try Marios or Umberto's. For Deep Dish Chicago style, go to Savastano's.

For hamburgers, every visitor needs to try Ron's. Sausage Chili Cheeseburger FTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa