Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:42 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,626 times

Advertisements

That is horrible... terrible. I am a pet lover and a dog owner and am very sad for your loss. What a nightmare to come home from a funeral to find that you have to have another funeral for another loved family member. I would like more information on the shooter. Is this neighbor a recluse? A teenager? A transplant from another city? What nationality? I guess what I'm asking is, was the shooter a native of Broken Arrow, Republican, Christian, or someone from a crime-ridden city who just moved in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 37,317 times
Default dog shooting...

You just don't know how much I would LOVE to give name, address, phone, etc... but I'm sure it would be deleted :-) He's 65ish, white (not that I think that makes any difference..) claims to be a Christian but obviously..... (I personally believe that the label Christian should be based on actions, not church membership...) becuase I am a Christian. That's the reason his windows are NOT bashed in with a baseball bat right now...(sheepish grin...) You see, that's exactly what my teenage son wanted to do and I physically barred the door!!!! He may be bigger than me, but I still make the decisions. :-) My daughter was hysterically crying...It was awful... Our return home from the funeral was quite "loud".....

Where do we live? in the 91st and Elm area (naming streets by number is a "Tulsa" thing). "BA" (that's what we call Broken Arrow) has named all their "numbered" main thoroughfares by their own names, but most people still refer to them as 71st, 81st, 91st, etc... To be honest I don't even know the BA name for 91st street...isn't that funny since we have lived here for 18 years....

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, he is a long time resident of BA...but he's a few doors down from my house and I actually am not sure. We have usually just waved...not had indepth conversations.

anyway, that's where he (and we) live so avoid it if you love animals. My mother in law told us today to MOVE!!!
I have always liked Broken Arrow before this happened and I began to feel like the police let us down. I am very disillusioned with my city right now...

Last edited by acmom; 05-13-2007 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: additions to answer all questions

Old 05-13-2007, 10:03 PM

8 posts, read 37,317 times
Hey, wanta buy MY house???
hee hee...

Last edited by acmom; 05-13-2007 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: spelling...

Old 05-14-2007, 05:14 PM

acmom, LOL! I am so glad you are keeping your humor through all of this. The joy of the Lord is your strength. Buy your house.. sheesh.. I have a beloved pet dog who is 15 but is still strong. I would love to live in BA (I lived in Tulsa for 6 years in the 80's and loved it) and hope to move there this year or next. I am praying for you and your family through this tragedy and for your safety. Be strong!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:44 AM

10 posts, read 31,064 times
Actually,if he felt 'threatened' then by Okie law,gun laws anyways,he was justified.Doesnt make it right.But.Its a technicality.And thats probably what they are basing it on.Remember.Oklahoma is the originator of the "Make MY Day Law".Meaning if you feel 'threatened' in your home/yard by an intruder you are justified in taking any means necessary to defend yourself.It started here.Now,theyve amended it,and it just passed, to include a new law,affectionately titled,"Stand Your Ground Law".Meaning,you can now defend yourself ANYWHERE you happen to be in Oklahoma.Not just in your home or yard.AND.Be immune from prosecution or civil action if found to be justified in the shooting.I know.I have my CCW(ConcealedCarryWeapon) permit,went thru the classes,and have to keep up on the laws on gun usuage and ownership and the right to carry,etcetc.I owned guns back in California my whole life, but couldnt carry one there.But here,this is still kind of the 'wild west' in a way.They hold guns in high esteem here.Easy to buy them.NO wait.Easy to get a CCW permit as long as you arent a felon and can pass the background checks.

But.If he indeed felt 'threatened',and that is so arbitrary,but the law,then he was in the right and theres probably not going to be anything done about it.No matter how nice the dog probably was,its the good-ole-boy mentality.The dude is kinda old,white and probably legal to own the firearm.Longtime resident=good-ole-boy been payin his taxes.

So.Leave him alone and go on about your business and mourn your little buddy.Get into an argument in his yard,and if he felt 'threatened' by you,then he could shoot you too and get away with it.So.Probably not much gonna be done about it.Legally anyways,he was probably in the right.It sucks bigtime.The "StandYourGround" bill also relieves them of any civil liability.And, the old 'shot a gun in city limits' ticket probably doesnt fit because he was "protecting himself".

I have a little Boston terrier that wouldnt hurt a fly and if something happend to him I would just die.But if he got out,and made some old man pee his pants and got himself shot,I would feel bad but not much I could do about it if he scared the old dude.And was in his yard.Sad,but true.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:12 AM

17 posts, read 66,635 times
That is correct. I would say that anywhere in South Tulsa or Broken Arrow would be a good place for the type of people you described. I would move to South Tulsa and live in the Jenks School District if you have kids. Union is good, too.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:14 PM

Thanks for your input, TomWatsonB. I do think Jenks would suit us best as we do not have children at home. I like the South Tulsa area, and to the best of my knowledge there were some nice homes around the ORU area. Is that still correct?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:18 AM

12 posts, read 45,117 times
Jenks, Owasso, Bixby, or Broken Arrow are all going to be pretty much the same when it comes to religion and politics. I happen to live in Broken Arrow and I am white, Republican, not religious, but I have to say that I would not want to live anywhere but here in BA. It has the country feel with the city of Tulsa at your fingertips. I live at 131st (Jasper) and 161st (Elm) One of my best friends lives in Bixby and my cousin lives in Owasso. They both feel the same way about their cities as I do mine. In my opinion you can't go wrong living in any of these suburbs if that is what you are looking for.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 25,577 times
lol 'white, born-again republican' i have to laugh. it does seem that way but everyone for the most part is welcoming it seems. i grew up in broken arrow, and broken arrow never seemed like a separate town to me because tulsa is only 5 minutes away. and from where i live now it's just a few feet from my new house lol(and yes, i have traveled the united states so i know what other places are like:0) )

it is a quiet and sometimes boring place to live but it's not bad at all. if this helps, broken arrow senior high school, where i graduated in 1998 had 1000 in my graduating class and about 1000 in the grade below me. and the school has like buildings a-j or something like that, and a great new stadium.

our car got egged like once, but both my parents taught in broken arrow school system so that may be the answer.

there is going to be crime everywhere, but i really don't remember it being a huge things, and i worked for the newspapers for a little while. not much action on the police radios lol.

like i said, i never thought of 'broken arrow' as an entity by itself, but it is a quite place to live if that's what you're looking for.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 33,815 times
Broken Arrow is one of the safest places in the U.S. to live. The city is really expanding right now. The high school is huge. I think it has kind of a country feel to it. There is a bible school here called Rhema. They have a great parade every year called Rooster Days, sort of a carnival. Lots more, but I've been here 7 years and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa