Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 02:53 PM

11 posts, read 53,796 times

Advertisements

I am a mother of two toddlers fixing to embark on a possible move to the Tulsa Area (owasso/claremore/jenks/broken arrow)- however i am terrified at not finding a great *small* well funded/educated school for my kids! Can you help give me some insight! The school district is ultimately going to determine where we buy a house to make a home. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 20,070 times
home4mad,
I feel your pain. My husband and I are trying to make the same decision right now. My children are much older than yours 16 and 11, both boys. We will be moving to the Tulsa area early to mid next month and still have not decided on where to live. Our boys are the #1 priority so picking a good school is very important. We have some friends in Owasso and the schools there are top notch but are getting so big that our friends are considering private school for their boys. We are leaning strong towards Claremore it is a little smaller and I seem to like the neighborhoods better than most I have seen. Anyway goodluck on your decision and I hope all goes well.

Sue

Old 07-23-2007, 03:09 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4mad View Post
I am a mother of two toddlers fixing to embark on a possible move to the Tulsa Area (owasso/claremore/jenks/broken arrow)- however i am terrified at not finding a great *small* well funded/educated school for my kids! Can you help give me some insight! The school district is ultimately going to determine where we buy a house to make a home. Thanks!

Could you define what you mean by "small"? Are you trying to say that you want to live in a small town? If so, what size is comfortable for you? Or are you just concerned about teacher-to-student ratios? Or are you looking for private schools?

Old 07-23-2007, 04:21 PM

Default thanks!

thank you for your response!
when i say small i mean under 500 students/class along with student teacher ratios to not be over 24/1. preferable town size around 15,000-35,000 in size. i am not an advocate for private school so i would want my kids to go public. we were researching jenks/BA as it is closer to our future employer-however we are open to any input at this point!

Old 07-23-2007, 06:48 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times
You might want to check out Glenpool, Sapulpa, or some towns in Creek County.

Here is a link that might help.
Oklahoma Public School Rankings

You can check the schools scores in 2003 and compare scores. It also gives information about teacher/student ratios and the size of the school. Check under Tulsa County and to the south Creek County. I was looking around and saw several schools under 500 population.

Then there's this one for updated scores only

[LEFT][SIZE=+2]ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE INDEX (API)[/SIZE][/LEFT]
Download the final API Scores for 2005-2006 (broken link)

Last edited by peggydavis; 07-23-2007 at 06:56 PM..

Old 07-25-2007, 12:16 PM

thank you! that is a huge help!! i appreciate your time!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,994 times
Hello. We are considering a move to Tulsa. We have a 15 year old daughter. We are clueless about the city and the schools there. What did you decide to do? Have you moved yet? Thanks.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:10 PM

15 posts, read 63,838 times
I have always been under the impression that Claremore schools were extremely rough, at least that is what I had always been told about their High School.

My suggestions for good Small schools are:

Sperry Schools - I went here and if you want small this is the place to be. It is only 20-25 minutes north from Tulsa, but only graduates about 80 or so students a year.

Skiatook Schools - Larger than Sperry, but not too big. 5 minutes North of Sperry.

Collinsville Schools - Just north of Owasso and east of Skiatook. Good schools, great little small town, a few times larger than Sperry, around same size as Skiatook I think.

And lastly If Claremore was an option I would send my kids to the independent schools of Claremore Sequoyah. I believe the district is in Northern part of Claremore, but I am not to sure about that. It is about the size of Sperry, but I think it is better funded for whatever reason.

If you want the top quality out of a public school, send your children to Owasso, Jenks, Union, or Broken Arrow...these are the school that your child will reach their complete full potential at.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Default thanks!

thank you for the insight on claremore- i hadn't heard that spin on it!

this past weekend i had heard from a family that knows the Broken Arrow area and said it was the largest in the state and their academics along with sports is among some of the best-so if we didn't want our kids to *want* for anything that would be the district to place them in!

i think our area that we are looking into, as it would be most beneficial to my husbands office-it is in south tulsa, is jenks/Broken Arrow. we have a few months before the transition, however i am trying to get all of our ducks in a row district wise and learning the area b/4 we plant somewhere!

thank you to all-and i appreciate any further comments/insight you have!!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:08 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Also, go to GreatSchools.net. There is a wealth of info on any school that you wish to check out, including student/teacher ratios, demographics, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa