Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:13 PM

113 posts, read 438,440 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We are planning on moving back to Oklahoma around the Christmas holiday this year and we will most likely move to Owasso. We will be taking some time in July and August to become a little more familiar with the area and do some preliminary house hunting.

A little bit of background...I was born and raised in Oklahoma, mostly northern Oklahoma. My husband moved to Oklahoma during college and he considers it "home" as well. He has been doing time in the military and his time is almost up, thus the move. We have two elementary school-aged children.

Anyway, here are a few questions...I am sure I will have more as we get closer to actually moving.

1. Does anyone have any realtors they could recommend (or warn us about)?

2. All of the elementary schools in Owasso seem to have very high ratings on the various sites I have visited...is there anyone school that really stands out from the others? What about the private schools?

3. The junior high/senior high grades seem to be structured a little differently than most school systems I have seen. Does anyone have an opinion or any insight into that--good, bad, or indifferent?

4. The area seems to be growing very fast, too fast according to some of the posts I have read here. Are there any real concerns that the city won't be able to support all the new families moving to town?

5. Is Owasso "lily-white"? Being in the military we have been fortuate to have lots of friends who are from a variety of backgrounds. That's one of my concerns about moving back to Oklahoma--the homogenous nature of the residents. That's how it was where I grew up. It's not a deal-breaker, but I am just curious if Owasso is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 09:56 PM

702 posts, read 2,519,173 times
Best realtor in Owasso is Fleeta Sunday IMHO. Schools are awesome, my son graduated from there and Owasso prepared him quite well, he's going into his senior year at OSU majoring in Chemical Engineering with a 3.8 GPA. Regarding how the grades are structured, I think it works out best, less peer pressure from older kids. Owasso has become more diverse over the past 5 years, some think it's a good thing, some probably do not. With our growth it was inevitable. Some would probably consider it mostly still "lilly white" though. I've been here since 1981, it's an awesome place to raise your kids. Tulsa is just 12 miles to the south, and you can access it through two main highways, 169 or highway 75.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,994,129 times
Answer to 1) I'm a realtor and I am NOT the best out there.In fact, if you find something you want to see, I will show it to you, but so far as spending days driving you around to look at what is available, forget it.

The rest......I have no idea. You need to find what you like and move there.

OTOH, if you want some background info on the house you are looking at, let me know. I'm an appraiser (some folks say a good one) and I don't mind kicking in a little help now and then. I have no problem taking a look and giving you a second opinion.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 PM

265 posts, read 905,106 times
Barnes Elementary School is really a nice new school. It is located off of 76th Street North near Memorial. Traffic can be rough in some areas at some times but overall, Owasso is a great community for families.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:04 PM

briansgi, thanks for the realtor name...I will have to check out her website. I definitely want someone who works mainly in Owasso, not someone from Tulsa who dabbles in the burbs. Regarding the schools, are they close enough together that you can easily drop off kids who are attending school at different locations? Or are parents strongly encouraged to bus their kids? Does each center have its own busses and bus schedule?

goodpasture, love your upfront pitch and business sense!!! You definitely wouldn't want to have me as a client! My dad was a home builder for years, so I fear I will be a severe pain in the rear for whoever takes us on. You know, "No one will ever build a house as well as my daddy did!", "That's not how my dad built his houses!" and so on. I think I am an expert by relation! Dad hasn't built residential for quite some time, so he doesn't have any contacts in real estate in that part of the state. He used to know several people in Tulsa, but like I said above I think I want someone who works almost exclusively in Owasso.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,489,298 times
I don't know alot about Owasso as I have only lived here for 8 months and moved here from Utah. I really like it here and it's pretty. I had to give up my Utah mountains, so I am hard to please but so far I love it here.

I know very little of the schools but my stepdaughter goes to the mid high and my step son just graduated from Owasso and they both have loved the schools. Owasso High is great in baseball and wins every year if that matters.

I have been happy with all the shopping. I never leave Owasso. Pretty much any shopping I want to do is here other than I do like Sam's Club so I go to Tulsa, but I heard they are building one in Owasso.

Another thing, the people are really nice, friendly and happy. I have cut alot of people off on the road because I didn't know where I was going when I first moved here and I have yet to see any "road rage"

If you need to go to Tulsa, it is very close.
I doubt that answered much of your questions, but thought I would put in a plug for Owasso.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:37 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,938,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_moby73 View Post
Hi everyone,
We are planning on moving back to Oklahoma around the Christmas holiday this year and we will most likely move to Owasso. We will be taking some time in July and August to become a little more familiar with the area and do some preliminary house hunting.

A little bit of background...I was born and raised in Oklahoma, mostly northern Oklahoma. My husband moved to Oklahoma during college and he considers it "home" as well. He has been doing time in the military and his time is almost up, thus the move. We have two elementary school-aged children.

Anyway, here are a few questions...I am sure I will have more as we get closer to actually moving.

1. Does anyone have any realtors they could recommend (or warn us about)?

2. All of the elementary schools in Owasso seem to have very high ratings on the various sites I have visited...is there anyone school that really stands out from the others? What about the private schools?

3. The junior high/senior high grades seem to be structured a little differently than most school systems I have seen. Does anyone have an opinion or any insight into that--good, bad, or indifferent?

4. The area seems to be growing very fast, too fast according to some of the posts I have read here. Are there any real concerns that the city won't be able to support all the new families moving to town?

5. Is Owasso "lily-white"? Being in the military we have been fortuate to have lots of friends who are from a variety of backgrounds. That's one of my concerns about moving back to Oklahoma--the homogenous nature of the residents. That's how it was where I grew up. It's not a deal-breaker, but I am just curious if Owasso is the same.
Goodpasture and his partner Schousse are two of those very few that are willing to help you regardless of how it benefits them. I would advise you to DM GP or Schousse and provide more specifics. They are good people.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Goodpasture and his partner Schousse are two of those very few that are willing to help you regardless of how it benefits them. I would advise you to DM GP or Schousse and provide more specifics. They are good people.
That's exactly why we are moving back to Oklahoma! We have lived in lots of places--some we enjoyed, some we didn't--but none of the places we have lived has had people like Oklahomans. It's good to know that hasn't changed. It's also nice to know there are people on here who are willing and able to help those of us seeking information. Thanks!

And Chickrae, thanks for the shopping information. We were able to spend an afternoon in Owasso last summer and I was pleasantly surprised to see how many shops and restaurants there are in the area. And it looked like there were more things getting ready to go up then, so I am sure there are even more shopping options now!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:49 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,489,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_moby73 View Post
That's exactly why we are moving back to Oklahoma! We have lived in lots of places--some we enjoyed, some we didn't--but none of the places we have lived has had people like Oklahomans. It's good to know that hasn't changed. It's also nice to know there are people on here who are willing and able to help those of us seeking information. Thanks!

And Chickrae, thanks for the shopping information. We were able to spend an afternoon in Owasso last summer and I was pleasantly surprised to see how many shops and restaurants there are in the area. And it looked like there were more things getting ready to go up then, so I am sure there are even more shopping options now!
I am not a Mall shopper so I guess that is why Owasso appeals to me. I love TJ Max and if they put a Ross here I would be in heaven. My husband said I will love Oklahoma and no one is from here but moves here for jobs etc. My husband is from Arkansas and I am from Utah. It's partly true most the people I have met are not from here but love it once they get here. So you are from here....good to know

Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 35,642 times
Ross and Ulta are on their way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa