Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 08:45 AM

190 posts, read 619,641 times

Advertisements

Wow, was just reading the Tucson Electric Power site trying to figure out what the cost of electricity.Also, how the programs that I had been reading about here work. Seems pretty confusing to me as I currently don't have to deal with time of day costing structures. Is this really that complicated? How much savings are there by using a time of day pricing schedule? How inconvienent is it? I am guessing that I will have to get accustomed to organizing my power usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 AM

444 posts, read 1,354,060 times
It's not complicated. If you have air-conditioning and a programmable thermostat, and no one is home during the day, it saves money. How much money you actually save depends on how much electricity you use.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,752,622 times
In addition, many of the newer dishwashers and washing machine have timers on them also. I set them to run around 4am when I can. Just some common sense things you can do to save money. Nothing to really stress out about, if you can make it work in your life then you do it, if you can't you pay more.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM

190 posts, read 619,641 times
Perhaps it is simply my head spinning from all the details I am trying to put together. I am creating a list of everything that I will (hopefully since the negotiations are still ongoing and moving extremely slow.) have to get information on and organize. The move, sell the house, living arrangements, animals, plants, cars, and everything else I have not figured out yet. I know this will be well worth it. I am the type of person that lists everything and is most comfortable when I know everything, no surprises.

While reviewing their website, I saw several different plans but, I have never had to schedule my electricy usage. So, I am not sure what needs to run during the peak hours. I also did not see significant cost savings from the plan. But, perhaps I am just not estimating cost savings based over 1000 kwhs. I will read some more tonight and see if it makes more sense when I can also compare to my existing electric bill.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,489,261 times
You can always adjust things once you get here and get a better feel for what you need in terms of power use, so don't feel like you have to commit to some plan up front. You are coming into that wonderful time of year in southern AZ when we don't need to run the heat or the A/C, so no "sticker shock" until summer comes, anyway.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,748,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Perhaps it is simply my head spinning from all the details I am trying to put together. I am creating a list of everything that I will (hopefully since the negotiations are still ongoing and moving extremely slow.) have to get information on and organize. The move, sell the house, living arrangements, animals, plants, cars, and everything else I have not figured out yet. I know this will be well worth it. I am the type of person that lists everything and is most comfortable when I know everything, no surprises.

While reviewing their website, I saw several different plans but, I have never had to schedule my electricy usage. So, I am not sure what needs to run during the peak hours. I also did not see significant cost savings from the plan. But, perhaps I am just not estimating cost savings based over 1000 kwhs. I will read some more tonight and see if it makes more sense when I can also compare to my existing electric bill.
I can relate to your pain, Mike.

A few years ago I was considering one of those Off Peak Plans and a little research taught me one thing . . . those plans will only save money if you are disciplined and watch the clock when using high energy appliances. Otherwise, the "peak" rate will kill you and your total bill could actually run higher than if you had opted for the flat rate.

My recommendation, just go with the regular flat rate until you get settled and are able to structure your usage.

Good Luck

Old 03-14-2011, 02:21 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,083,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Is this really that complicated?
just use electricity wisely, go on the evened-out flat monthly rate plan (adjusts yearly), and all will be well.....

don't "sweat" it!....too many other more important things to worry about.....

Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,257,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
don't "sweat" it!....
Not true! Sweating it lowers the cost!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,588,624 times
I use the flat rate and pay the difference at the end of the year. I also have automated bill pay so they take the payment straight from my checking account. I know what the monthly bill will be and when it's due, and I don't have to do anything about it other than enter it in Quicken. I don't worry about on or off peak, how often I run appliances (not often) or the AC/heat. It's much simpler to do flat rate/auto pay.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,748,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
just use electricity wisely, go on the evened-out flat monthly rate plan (adjusts yearly), and all will be well.....

don't "sweat" it!....too many other more important things to worry about.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not true! Sweating it lowers the cost!
Very very true, Sierra . . . Sweating = No A/C = Low Electric Bill.

! ! ! ! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: