Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:42 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Actually, THEY are the ones that consider themselves the best because their team is quite successful. I don't consider them to be the best. It's easy to pump your chest when your team is winning. Any ******* can do that.

Besides, where did I mention anything about being considered the best? I said they have bandwagon fans and trust me, they do. I don't consider someone from Pittsburgh or around Pittsburgh to be a bandwagon jumper. It's natural for them to be a fan of the local team. I do find that most people I have seen in NJ and NC that are Steeler fans from NJ or NC to be bandwagon jumpers since they haven't stepped foot in Pittsburgh.

Had the Steelers been the Phoenix Steelers, these same people would be Phoenix Steeler fans. It has nothing to do with Pittsburgh.
Maybe it would help if you knew a little about the history of Pittsburgh before making such an assumption.
First off....when all the steel mills went under, Pittsburghers were out of work and had to move on in order to feed their families. Many moved out of state and took their love for the Steelers with them. Their children grew up being Steeler fans (granted, some of them might never have stepped foot in our "city of champions", but their parents have.) It has EVERYTHING to do with Pittsburgh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Not a huge fan of Big Ben but a civil suit filed 364 days after the allegations? Really?!

Cha ching.
Cha ching is RIGHT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I hope Roethy enjoyed releasing the hot jets of spray into Andrea, because the price will be very high, the end of his career and probably some jail time.
You are on drugs if you think this is the end of Ben's career. There will be NO jail time--it's a civil suit.
Maybe it would help if you were a woman to understand this--if a woman was sexually assaulted and did NOT file criminal charges, but instead waited a YEAR to file a civil suit...then it sounds pretty bogus to me. There is $$$$ written all over this one.

I, for one, have a hard time believing a woman who waits a full year to file any type of charges. If this in fact did happen...why would she wait??? She will be laughing the whole way to the bank.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:39 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Maybe it would help if you knew a little about the history of Pittsburgh before making such an assumption.
First off....when all the steel mills went under, Pittsburghers were out of work and had to move on in order to feed their families. Many moved out of state and took their love for the Steelers with them. Their children grew up being Steeler fans (granted, some of them might never have stepped foot in our "city of champions", but their parents have.) It has EVERYTHING to do with Pittsburgh!
You make a really good point. What has happened to the population of the city? Hasn't it lost around 200,000 people over the last 30-40 years? I hear the city is around 320,000. Granted that it is still a pretty large metropolitan area. But, I and my 3 best friends moved away in the 70s. I've lived in Philadelphia, New York, Chicago and now San Jose. My friends have lived all over this country. Everywhere I've lived I've been a Steeler fan.... Pirates and Penguins also for that matter. And my friends were the same way. They still pull for the Pittsburgh teams.

I go back every so often to see a game and I've seen them play away games now and then.

So, I guess we're like a virus We've spread our bias (Steelerwise) with us as we've moved to different hosts.... lol.

Maybe I should think of a different analogy.

But still, I think there's a lot of truth in what you say.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
You make a really good point. What has happened to the population of the city? Hasn't it lost around 200,000 people over the last 30-40 years? I hear the city is around 320,000. Granted that it is still a pretty large metropolitan area. But, I and my 3 best friends moved away in the 70s. I've lived in Philadelphia, New York, Chicago and now San Jose. My friends have lived all over this country. Everywhere I've lived I've been a Steeler fan.... Pirates and Penguins also for that matter. And my friends were the same way. They still pull for the Pittsburgh teams.

I go back every so often to see a game and I've seen them play away games now and then.

So, I guess we're like a virus We've spread our bias (Steelerwise) with us as we've moved to different hosts.... lol.

It's very easy for someone who is not from Pittsburgh to surmize why there are so many Steeler fans across this great nation and equate it to people being band wagon fans...but the truth of the matter is that many left this area with the closing of the mines and steel mills. That is why it is known today as Steeler Nation, because those who have left never forgot their roots and continue to cheer for the "home town" team.

....Beginning in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the steel industry in Pittsburgh began to implode. Following the 1981–1982 recession, for example, the mills laid off 153,000 workers.[42] The steel mills began to shut down. These closures caused a ripple effect, as railroads, mines, and other factories across the region lost business and closed. The local economy suffered a depression, marked by high unemployment and underemployment, as laid-off workers took lower-paying, non-union jobs. Pittsburgh suffered as elsewhere in the Rust Belt with a declining population, and like many other U.S. cities, it also saw white flight to the suburbs.[43]

Year City Population
1950 676,806
1960 604,332
1970 540,025
1980 423,938
1990 369,879
2000 334,563

The Pittsburgh Urban Area remains the 22nd largest in the U.S., between those of Cleveland, Ohio and Portland, Oregon.....

So while Pittsburgh's population has declined, Steeler Nation continues to thrive in other areas across this nation due to the facts stated above.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:39 PM

723 posts, read 1,634,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
have to wait and see what happens. a lot of times these guys are targets, like the kobe byant case for example.
Kobe Bryant made himself a target by raping that girl in Eagle Co.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:38 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
Bryant didnt rape anyone. The woman had a reputation of being a ho & settled out of court for a undisclosed amount. I bet it was at least a few million dollars. Bryant does have a bimbo though for a wife so i dont blame him for sexing other women.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:07 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
And Roethlisberger made himself a target by raping that girl in Tahoe.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:19 PM

The difference between the Roethlisberger case and the Bryant one is with Kobe....that girl went to the police soon after the incident occurred. With Ben, the girl waits a FULL YEAR before going to the police. WHY would ANY woman do that? If it did indeed happen the way she claims it happened, then why not go to the police immediately? And WHY not CRIMINAL charges instead of CIVIL charges? She wants money!! Something isn't right about this entire accusation. I will watch it play out in a court of law!

My thoughts are (and they could be wrong) is that she thought she had a sugar daddy! When Ben didn't return the sentiments, she stewed on it for a LONG time and then decided to get money out of him by crying rape.

I hope Ben fights it to the end and doesn't give into a money exchange.

As a woman, if someone is raped-- I believe the perpetrator should spend life in prison. So IF Ben is guilty, I hope justice is served. It has NOTHING to do with being a Steeler fan. A man should NEVER force himself on a woman.

Last edited by TexasGirl@Heart; 07-27-2009 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-27-2009, 05:08 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post

All the Midwestern and Eastern industrial cities, like St.Louis, Detroit, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, etc. have lost large numbers of people in the last 40-50 years.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
All the Midwestern and Eastern industrial cities, like St.Louis, Detroit, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, etc. have lost large numbers of people in the last 40-50 years.
True...migration occurred due to closing factory's, steel mills, etc....that is why it is known as the "rust belt." However, you don't see the migration of other city populations mentioned above staying true to their hometown teams like Pittsburghers have done in the past when they have migrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime