Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,445,837 times

Advertisements

I care! I would like to see justice served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM

445 posts, read 1,353,274 times
No, you're just an unwitting consumer of "news product", where salacious human interest stories are created, packaged and sold as a product- their actual importance and relevance grossly hyperinflated- to keep you tuned in so those oh-so lucrative commercials keep pumping into your brain and hopefully, convincing you to buy stuff.

This isn't about justice. It's about moronic infotainment...
Yesterday, one of the local news stations cut out the weather broadcast so they could have continuing coverage of Drew Peterson being arrested. They actually said (paraphrase) "we won't be showing the weather so we can continue our live coverage of the arrest of Drew Peterson..."

Let me repeat that, because it positively boggles the mind that it actually happened- that in an Alpha city like Chicago, IL, there was a top tier market newsroom with a living, breathing producer (who assuredly purports some degree of journalistic integrity) who, to show more Drew Peterson coverage, CUT OUT THE WEATHER; weather, one of the most fundamental natural dynamics of the human condition, something that affects us one and all regardless of race, color, creed, economic status or otherwise, something that is virtually the entire basis for us having "daily news" to begin with, was deemed secondary to Drew Peterson getting arrested.
The weather; less than Drew ****ing Peterson.

"We have reports that the Japanese have bombed Pearl Harbor, but before we get to that, lets have another update on Natalee Holloway, Greta?"

It's just disgusting. Free market media makes me want to puke.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 AM

414 posts, read 891,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
I care! I would like to see justice served.
Indeed. It makes me sick how long this charade has gone on. Guilty or not, lets have the truth and STOP making this man a local celebrity. As far as I am concerned he is a former law enforcer who is accused of murder. The circus that surrounds him is our fault.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
No, you're just an unwitting consumer of "news product", where salacious human interest stories are created, packaged and sold as a product- their actual importance and relevance grossly hyperinflated- to keep you tuned in so those oh-so lucrative commercials keep pumping into your brain and hopefully, convincing you to buy stuff.

Yesterday, one of the local news stations cut out the weather broadcast so they could have continuing coverage of Drew Peterson being arrested. They actually said (paraphrase) "we won't be showing the weather so we can continue our live coverage of the arrest of Drew Peterson..."

Let me repeat that, because it positively boggles the mind that it actually happened- that in an Alpha city like Chicago, IL, there was a newsroom with a producer who assuredly purports some degree of journalistic integrity, who, to show more Drew Peterson coverage, CUT OUT THE WEATHER; weather, one of the most fundamental natural dynamics of the human condition, something that affects us one and all regardless of race, color, creed, economic status or otherwise, something that is virtually the entire basis for us having "daily news" to begin with, was deemed secondary to Drew Peterson getting arrested.

"We have reports that the Japanese have bombed Pearl Harbor, but before we get to that, lets have another update on Natalee Holloway, Greta?"

Wtf

Old 05-08-2009, 10:49 AM

445 posts, read 1,353,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Wtf
Oh, I'm sorry.
Perhaps you might have understood me better if I had used grunts, hand gestures and a series of pictograms to convey my point.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry.
Perhaps you might have understood me better if I had used grunts, hand gestures and a series of pictograms to convey my point.
probably

Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 AM

2,239 posts, read 6,279,177 times
Quote:

Let me repeat that, because it positively boggles the mind that it actually happened- that in an Alpha city like Chicago, IL, there was a top tier market newsroom with a living, breathing producer (who assuredly purports some degree of journalistic integrity) who, to show more Drew Peterson coverage, CUT OUT THE WEATHER; weather, one of the most fundamental natural dynamics of the human condition, something that affects us one and all regardless of race, color, creed, economic status or otherwise, something that is virtually the entire basis for us having "daily news" to begin with, was deemed secondary to Drew Peterson getting arrested.

Overkill.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,531,788 times
Quote:

Well put.

Thousands of people are murdered every year in this country, and most of those victims and their killers remain nameless and faceless to the majority because their story isn't so sensational. Most of us don't know/care about all these other cases, but we're forced to repeatedly hear about and see this one idiot. Natalee Holloway, Scott Peterson, Drew Peterson, and D-level celebrities like Anna Nicole Smith, all take over the focus of the news, when really in the big picture, their stories deserve to be on the bootom of the ladder of what's truly newsworthy. The American public would be so much better served by national media outlets covering something that's actually important rather than spending hundreds of cumulative hours reporting on something that has no effect on 99.9999% of us.

I find it hard to believe that anyone honestly cares about "justice being served". I care as much as I care about seeing the bad guy get successfully prosecuted at the end of an episode of "Law & Order". It isn't news - it's entertainment, a joke, a circus.

I'm not surprised the weather got bumped at all. Ratings trump all, and integrity by and large, has been out the window for sometime. The Onion and the Daily Show point this out on a regular basis. Walter Kronkite is doing circles in his Rascal scooter.

I can't blame the networks or producers though. It's obvious that this is what the American consumer demands.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,531,788 times
Nah, it's not "WTF?", and it's not "overkill". We're all losing out when some dope like Drew Peterson gets so much press attention. Get with it.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 AM

414 posts, read 891,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Nah, it's not "WTF?", and it's not "overkill". We're all losing out when some dope like Drew Peterson gets so much press attention. Get with it.
You are only losing out if you are submitting yourself to corporate media. There are resources out there that are not pofit-driven and we now have the ability to use the internet to filter out the trash.

However, I must admit, the decline of reporting hard 'boring' news has really taken a back seat to generating top ratings. Gotta make the board members for GE happy, right? It truly is pathetic how much more we live in a corporatocracy than a democracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime