Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: who was the worst serial killer in US history?
ed gein 22 12.36%
jeffery dahmer 55 30.90%
ted bundy 50 28.09%
john wayne gacy 51 28.65%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:09 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,883,359 times

Advertisements

To me it would be:

1. Ted Bundy
2. Henry Lee Lucas
3. Gary Ridgeway (the Green River Killer)
4. John Gacy
5. Jeffery Dahmer
6. Jack The Ripper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david eckersall View Post
Could I tell you about the worst English serial killers? They werecalled Myra Hindley and Ian Bradey. In the mid 60s they killed 5children. Myra got the children in her car, some knew her, thentook them to Bradey who raped, tortured them, then killed themand buried them on the moors near where I lived as a boy. Theymade a tape recording of one of the children begging for mercy,Myra told the child to shut up, or she'd hit her, she cried out forher mother - it made the blood run cold. When she died in jailrecently all the papers said good riddance.
Being from England, did you forget about Dennis Nilsen, who killed 15 men over a 4 year period in London. Remember? He, initially, put his victims under the floorboards of his flat, and would occasionally take one out, set it in a chair, put his arms around it?

He eventually cut them all up, and he clogged the toilet/sewer lines with parts of the victim's bodies.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Being from England, did you forget about Dennis Nilsen, who killed 15 men over a 4 year period in London. Remember? He, initially, put his victims under the floorboards of his flat, and would occasionally take one out, set it in a chair, put his arms around it?

He eventually cut them all up, and he clogged the toilet/sewer lines with parts of the victim's bodies.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:18 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,883,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Don't forget "The Killing Fields" in Texas. Long, interesting read.

Serial Killer ?? The Killing Fields - Cold Case Investigations
The I-45 Killings (it's other name too). Yeah, I remembered those when I was a kid. I grew up not very far from the I-45. I guess I'm lucky too.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:17 AM

149 posts, read 121,963 times
Yes, I'd forgotten about him. All these nutty killers like himare kept in one jail, its known as Monster Mansion. One nutterwho recently killed 3 prostitutes, told the police "oh good, I'llgo to Monster Mansion"!!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
While not an American, I think Pedro Lopez was one of the worst serial killer's ever. This guy raped and killed anywhere between 100 - 300 young girls in Peru, Ecuador, and Columbia. On several occasions, he would take the bodies of his young victims, arrange them and have tea parties with the corpses, propping them up and talking with them.

Here is one of his statements in quotes:

"There is a wonderful moment, a divine moment, when I have my hands around a young girl's throat. I look into her eyes and see a certain light, a spark, suddenly go out.

Her fingers flutter briefly the moment of death is enthralling and exciting. Only those who actually kill know what I mean. Someday, when I am released, I will feel that moment again. I will be happy to kill again. It is my mission."

While not a cannibal like many of the other psychos, he would stalk his victims for days around market places waiting for the moment their mother's turned their backs and then snatch them off the street. Every parent's worst nightmare.

The worst American serial killer was probably Ted Bundy. This guy was crazier than most people realize, yet possessed a genius IQ. He would stash his victims bodies up in the hills and go visit them at night. Having sex with the corpses after applying make-up to them and then lie on his back star-gazing with them. He'd sever their heads and line them up in his apartment before finally disposing of them. Then conduct himself as a normal member of society, blending in with the average guy on the street. Unlike Henry Lee Lucas who looked like an unkept creep, and Dahmer who was very introverted and private, Bundy was clean cut and didn't fit any typical profiles of a serial killer.

I don't think the gruesome acts alone dictate who is the worst, you also have to consider just how manipulative and competent they were as kidnappers and killers. The scariest ones to me are the ones who you'd never suspect or who openly enjoy what they are doing. Like Albert Fish, who would kidnap, kill, and eat children, then write letters to the parents about the recipes he used to cook and eat them, and explain in painful detail how good they taste. That, is a sick individual and scary as hell because he was an otherwise normal looking individual who no one ever suspected of being a psychotic killer.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:35 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
The I-45 Killings (it's other name too). Yeah, I remembered those when I was a kid. I grew up not very far from the I-45. I guess I'm lucky too.
When I first went to Texas, my daughter decided to drive and visit as well. She needed to ride on I-45 for a long period. I made her call me and talked with her until she arrived safely in Houston! 'Tis a vey creepy story.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
The dude from Russia numbers wise dwarfs any of our guys. Why are so many serial killers adult white males?
The worst murderer of women in the U.S. was Charles Ng, a chinese American.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:39 PM

601 posts, read 459,640 times
What about Roy Demeo?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Have we all forgotten the notorious Randy Kraft, who preyed on hitchhikers in the late 60's/early 70's in the L.A. area, totalling up 57 victims, and how many unaccounted for?

I read the TC book on Randy Kraft some time ago. Will never forget it, as I was out there during that time hitchhiking. He was the one that was instrumental in putting an end to hitchhiking.
John Wayne Gacy came after Kraft, so he was probably more instrumental in putting an end to hitchhiking.

Little known fact about Gacy - he almost had a celebrity victim: Dave Davies.

BBC - h2g2 - The Kinks - the Band 1963 - 1970
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime