Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:04 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,016,983 times

Advertisements

I have never understood the logic of making another race look worse than your own

Don't all races have good people and also people we rather forget about? Why defend a whole race when there are obviously members of your own race who are cold blooded murderers, rapists,serial killers and sociopaths?

Old 08-31-2013, 03:06 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,761,611 times
Obamas beloved sons?
troubled youth?
failure of the jogger to pay him enough respect?
felt threatened by a white jogger running and defended himself?

Old 08-31-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Obamas beloved sons?
troubled youth?
failure of the jogger to pay him enough respect?
felt threatened by a white jogger running and defended himself?
I don't know about them but you sound like you have issues with black people. I wonder what happened to you that made you feel so strongly about people who just happened to be born with more melanin than yourself? You sound very angry and hateful.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:30 PM

199 posts, read 402,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I don't know about them but you sound like you have issues with black people. I wonder what happened to you that made you feel so strongly about people who just happened to be born with more melanin than yourself? You sound very angry and hateful.
There's more to being black than just the color of your skin. There's a culture and identity that comes with it. Some cultures denounce crime, violence, drug use, and misogyny while others glorify and promote it through their music, art, and everyday lives.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 PM

18,775 posts, read 18,313,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe your county was low crime,but it doesn't change the fact that crime was higher in the 60's,and this even when there more 2 parent family homes.
It is very hard to look back and draw conclusions. Anybody can play with statistics. I do know that many people in the 50's and 60's did not lock their cars or their homes. They felt safer - even when they heard constant gunfire (there were many hunters around here back then).

I do think that attitudes have changed in the last half decade. Some things we consider crime today were not back then. The kids were not in car seats - they were standing up riding in the back of the pickup trucks! Not all the time - but some did. I remember the attitudes towards women. My grandparents had a hotel/bar and when a couple would come in with the woman and her black eye; the attitude was: what did she do to set you off this time! It was never the man's fault. Sexism and racial attitudes (in general) have changed for the better. Is our world perfect today; NO! But it is still a work in progress.

The 50's and 60's were not the roaring 20's. I did find this one link that disproves your statement about the 50's and 60's having more crime: 50 Year Trends in Violent Crime in the US - FBI Statistics According to that article; violent crime (in the last 50 years) peaked in the early 90's.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
There's more to being black than just the color of your skin. There's a culture and identity that comes with it. Some cultures denounce crime, violence, drug use, and misogyny while others glorify and promote it through their music, art, and everyday lives.
That is not what I am seeing in the media and the "arts" I'm seeing people from all races and colors promoting crime, violence, drug use and misogyny.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

The 50's and 60's were not the roaring 20's. I did find this one link that disproves your statement about the 50's and 60's having more crime: 50 Year Trends in Violent Crime in the US - FBI Statistics According to that article; violent crime (in the last 50 years) peaked in the early 90's.
Someone suggested in the comment section that the reason for less crime now than in the 90's was the internet revolution.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:24 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,990,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
I agree with all of this. however, I find that the hip hop and rap culture has really dumbed down young African Americans more than Hollywood has. Remember that there are rappers out there that fully support and advocate violence and other law breaking endeavors. Many black youths are merely sheep in this multi billion dollar industry. Too stupid to know better.
You are right about the angry rap culture. That is true. Isn't it also true that Hollywood glorifies the rap crime scene. What was that movie some years back that people killed to get into see first? 50 - 60's had hand drawn cartoons for kids like Yogi Bear. Then came animation and Power Rangers with real violence. Subtle changes as if it was all planed and developed over the last 50 years. We went away for days at a time with the house unlocked and guns and ammo in the house and never missed a single bullet when we got home. That doesn't show in a statistic but it is a fact. The 1950 Chevy didn't need a key to drive and it seldom had on in it. I've lived it and seen it all. I remember the angry young generation that was anti establishment even when the establishment was right. When they got to be the establishment then another generation became anti establishment with them. And all this started with my generation. A younger person can look back at stats but can never get the feel for what it was really like in the 50-60's. I carried a knife in my pocket everyday in class. Most all boys did. They were tools not weapons then. The cut cabbage, broccoli, & rope in ag classes. I won a shotgun in a school competition. It was given to me at school. There had never been a know school shooting that we had ever heard of at that time. I don't know when the first one started. I remember when there were no safety seals on Tylenol until the Tylenol murders. So what does all this mean? People change. People and individuals have killed for centuries, so have tribes and nations. The simple truth is you can pass laws to punish those who do wrong but there is no way to make laws to prevent them from doing it and you can't take them off the street until they do. Guns don't kill people, people kill people for what ever reason they have on their mind at the moment and skin color is not an issue. One thing that I personally think adds to crime is the "I'm entitled" attitude many have. I want it and I want it know. No working for 50 years accumulating personal wealth. I point to the senseless killings over a pair of sports star endorsed shoes. The "I'm not flipping burgers, I'll just take a rich kids". The real truth is it is not going to get better. The current punish the victim to make it go easier on the villain is sickening will ensure that. My grand kids will never know the good times that I grew up under. I delivered newspapers at 5 AM in the pitch black dark in what would be thought of as a small town ghetto and there was never a concern for my safety. Crime then was someone with a couple to many to drink as I was finishing school. A really big offense was one or two of the boys sneaking off to smoke a cig during school hours not pulling their knives on anyone. The culture then was such if you got in trouble in school ma gave you a few licks when you got home and when dad came in you better have a book in your pants because he was going to make you remember to behave yourself. That's not the way it is now. It's my little abcdef would never have done that and they are a big part of the problem with the mindset that kills instead of a solution. It's a blame game world. The blame belongs on the trigger finger and not the trigger.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:54 PM

411 posts, read 904,962 times
well the "good" ole days are gone.

and liberals are destroying this country.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:07 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,990,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
well the "good" ole days are gone.

and liberals are destroying this country.
And those blinded by them are being led to slaughter. Ignorance is not bliss. It is deadly. No longer a nation of we do for ourselves everything we can and let the government do the rest. One of these days there will be a big "I told you so" believe it or not. To many people slept through history class or didn't take it at all or by the time they did the commie left had already infiltrated the education system to brain wash them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.