Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of the death penalty for a person convicted of murder?
For 52 66.67%
Against 22 28.21%
Don't Know 3 3.85%
Don't Care 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,906,317 times

Advertisements

I support the death penalty in cases where there are heinous crimes and where there is absolutely no doubt as to guilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,375,664 times
Against.
Killing someone because they killed someone only makes two-of-a-kind. And, it's pure hypocrisy.

Peace,
brian

Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,644,294 times
Genesis 9:6

Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

This is for premeditated murder ordained by our Creator. For what we call second degree, there was the city of refuge and a different system. Our court system is corrupt because of our sinful state, but if we were running the judicial system according to God's Judgment and Law than this is exactly what God calls for. There are three sins that was not covered by animal sacrifice; Blasphemy, Adultery, and Murder. All were punishable by stoning under the Old Covenant.

God does not change (Malachi 3:6). While we are not under the Mosaic Law which was fulfilled and superseded through Jesus Christ for those in Christ, the Laws of the Land instituted in Genesis 9 were instituted prior to the Mosaic Law initiated in Exodus 20 and do apply today for the nation.

Jesus who is God (John 1)(Colossians 1:14-17) in the flesh was the one that instituted the Law of the Land. God is Merciful and Gracious, but God is also Just. One that commits such an act could be forgiven for their sin through Jesus Christ in salvation of the second death by God's eternal mercy prior to execution, but they would have forfeited their own life here.

You'd see a drastic decrease in the incident of premeditated murders gauranteed.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:20 AM

14,426 posts, read 14,344,428 times
Quote:
Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

This is for premeditated murder ordained by our Creator. For what we call second degree, there was the city of refuge and a different system. Our court system is corrupt because of our sinful state, but if we were running the judicial system according to God's Judgment and Law than this is exactly what God calls for. There are three sins that was not covered by animal sacrifice; Blasphemy, Adultery, and Murder. All were punishable by stoning under the Old Covenant.

God does not change (Malachi 3:6). While we are not under the Mosaic Law which was fulfilled and superseded through Jesus Christ for those in Christ, the Laws of the Land instituted in Genesis 9 were instituted prior to the Mosaic Law initiated in Exodus 20 and do apply today for the nation.

Jesus who is God (John 1)(Colossians 1:14-17) in the flesh was the one that instituted the Law of the Land. God is Merciful and Gracious, but God is also Just. One that commits such an act could be forgiven for their sin through Jesus Christ in salvation of the second death by God's eternal mercy prior to execution, but they would have forfeited their own life here.
What does the Bible say about convicting innocent people and putting them to death? Can we say a blessing or prayer and bring those wrongly executed back to life? When you find those verses quote them for me, ok?

Quote:
You'd see a drastic decrease in the incident of premeditated murders gauranteed.
The deterrence argument is controversial. There is evidence for it and evidence against it. Most studies don't factor in the deterrent value of a sentence of life without the possibility of parole either.

I'm actually not opposed to the death penalty in all situations. However, I dislike undocumented, scatter-brained notions that the death penalty is some kind of panacea for ending crime. Historians will tell you that in the early 1800's when England had the death penalty for a wide range of offenses, including grand larceny, that as the crowds attended the public hangings that pickpockets would move through the people lifting wallets.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:26 PM

577 posts, read 901,159 times
I used to be against the death penalty... now I would support it for a handful of heinous crimes where there is no doubt of guilt. Say if there is DNA and video/ photographs that the perp took during the crime, which sadly seems to happen a lot. As I get older I'm less optimistic about humanity's ability to better itself. Some people just do not deserve to live based on the acts they've committed.

I can't remember the guy's name-- but in a soft on crime country (Amsterdam?) a brutal child rapist and killer couldn't even be given a life sentence. Not only do they not have the DP but they don't even give life sentences... once day he will walk free among children in society. I understand wanting to be compassionate and give people a second chance, but some crimes are so horrific that the person loses his own right to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime