Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:19 AM

88,732 posts, read 85,080,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I was gonna blame it on too much pot....but I think everyone else had better answers.
Eh, but potheads are usually too mellow for murder. Even if they got it in their heads to go kill somebody, the munchies would force them to detour to the candy store and then they'd forget where they were going originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 AM

88,732 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. I don't like one bit that religion interferes with (or sometimes attempts to) our legal system. I certainly don't think it belongs in schools. On the other hand, we are throwing the baby out with the bathwater when we do not mandate some sort of system that forces/cajoles public discussion of moral and ethical issues.

Science is a tool and you can see that based on statistics and logic only the majority can run roughshod over the minority. I think great advances in civilization often came for 'odd' people - nonconformists - people who were not in the majority. There is a great deal of danger, I think, if we run a society based on math and science and sheer logic with little effort to debate morality and to develop our shared human values.

I think there should be some formalized training (perhaps through the mandated health classes) in developing compassion in our children. I also think colleges should have requirements for stimulating thoughts concerning our shared humanity, especially in our business courses which seem to drive our government.
The problem with that is, I've read, that a person's conscience develops when they are 3 - 5 years of age. If they don't develop a conscience then, they won't be able to later on. The analogy used was baking a cake. If you leave the salt out of the cake, you can't go back and sprinkle it on top after it's baked and expect the same results.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:23 AM

245 posts, read 586,658 times
My opinion?

1) Transient populations
2) Overlapping police jurisdictions
3) Vast in inequities in economic status
4) Poorly-trained and/or incompetent police forces.

Look at all of the areas worldwide where there are a number of "known" serial killers and you'll see the all of the above and more.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:26 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,996,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The problem with that is, I've read, that a person's conscience develops when they are 3 - 5 years of age. If they don't develop a conscience then, they won't be able to later on. The analogy used was baking a cake. If you leave the salt out of the cake, you can't go back and sprinkle it on top after it's baked and expect the same results.
Yes, a good point, but there is work that suggests a person can learn compassionate responses. Children (older) are often worked with to try to feel as others do.

Business schools started programs in ethics because cheating and 'dirty dealing' is so rampant in the business community - all those top executives damning their employees and the public.

If a conscience can ONLY be developed between 3 and 5, then much of the teaching of religion is ludicrous. Projecting the feelings of others into yourself is a form of abstract thought, which is developed much later by humans.

Both religion and ethical teaching have turned people's lives around. There are some things that you can lack as a child and regain (perhaps through other compensating systems) later in life.

The only things I know of that are not amenable to later correction are pretty much sex-linked. Serial killers, rapists, pedophiles.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 AM

165 posts, read 601,610 times
I don't believe that the region has more serial killers than any other part of the country. I think that Ted Bundy and The Green River Killer made the area notorious.

This is a list of serial killers by how many victims they killed. List of serial killers by number of victims

There are 67 names on the list. I will point out the Americans and where they are from. My list consists of killers who are either alive or dead who have committed the crimes within the last 40 years.

Randy Kraft- Southern California

Gary Ridgeway-Washington State

John Wayne Gacy-Chicago

Ted Bundy-From Washington State, murdered women in several western states and Florida.

Charles Cullen-New Jersey/Pennsylvania area.

Jeffrey Dahmer-Wisconsin, first victim killed in rural Ohio.

Robert Yates-Washington State

Richard Ramirez-Southern California

Herbert Mullin-Southern California.

Charles Manson-Lived all over America, arrested and convicted in Southern California.

Leonard Lake and Charles Ng- California

Edmund Kemper-California

Dennis Rader-Kansas

Timothy Krajcir-Missouri, Illinois, Pennsylvania

Joseph Paul Franklin-Missouri, but he killed people all over the USA.

Kendall Francios- New York State

Michael Ross-Connecticut

Danny Rolling-Florida

Kristen Gilbert-Massachuttes

Thomas Dillion- Ohio

Ted Kaczynski-Moved to Montana mailing bombs.

Eileen Wounous-Florida

California seems to be the winner, especially southern California. But people kill people everywhere and not in one place.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:44 PM

449 posts, read 878,604 times
Geography has lots to do with it................there are lots of mountains, woods, canyons, it rains a lot........women become too relax with their surroundings and let their guards down, and the geography makes it easy to dispose of a body.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:03 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,887,424 times
Don't want to generalize, but I just met a guy from Seattle : gay, intellectual, obamaniacal, sententious, full of himself, with a giant chip on his shoulder , talks to the general populace as if they were retards (he is a second grade teacher): maybe some rednecks or somebums in the neighbourhood don't aprreciate this kind of people and run amok from time to time...

Old 08-03-2010, 04:59 AM

165 posts, read 601,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Don't want to generalize, but I just met a guy from Seattle : gay, intellectual, obamaniacal, sententious, full of himself, with a giant chip on his shoulder , talks to the general populace as if they were retards (he is a second grade teacher): maybe some rednecks or somebums in the neighbourhood don't aprreciate this kind of people and run amok from time to time...
Would this dude be a serial killer or a victim of one?

He has a few characteristics of serial killers, homosexual, intellectual (feels that he can get away with his crimes.) self pride. Ego, looks down upon other people.

I have never known of a serial killer being a teacher though.................

He could be a victim if he trolls the bars looking for easy sex.

I love, love, love Washington State and want to live there. The weather is wonderful (today was 24C), I like rain and coolness. I hate sunshine. I like the countryside and the mountains. My wife is Chinese and would love to live in a Chinese community. I live in China now.

I wish I grew up there, and if you did, you were real lucky.

I want to move there. Don't think it would ever happen..

Old 08-03-2010, 05:13 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,887,424 times
He has a few characteristics of serial killers

...like compulsive gestures : he sanitizes his hands with a kool aid bottle every 2 minutes. A case of deep neurosis, I guess, I feel sorry for his pupils!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:38 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times
The countries in the world with the highest murder rates are usually hot, tropical countries. Cold bleak countries like those in Scandanavia have among the lowest murder rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime