Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:52 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,278,463 times

Advertisements

Its for the same reason that predator of child like work or positions that get them close to children. Ist the lifestyle is my guess.The Hi;I am a photographer;want to be a model type thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM

23,486 posts, read 29,411,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

The upper mid west, the Ozarks, Appalachia, PA.
Given the lack of policing in the Appalachian and Ozark regions, I believe there have been any number of serial killers in these regions which you'll never read about in true crime books.

Another interesting twist on the Northwest, is that this right to die/doctor assisted suicide movement has gained the most strength in the NW region of the country. Oregon was first to implement it, then followed by Washington state and now Montana. Will Idaho be next, leaving the rest of the country scratching their heads?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,181,203 times
Jack Olsen was another great true crime writer from the Pacific Northwest who wrote several books about serial killers & rapists from that area. The Happy Face Killer, George Russell Jr., Kevin Coe...

Diane Downs (Oregon woman who shot her 3 kids) wasn't a serial killer, but she is one scary sociopath. One of the Hillside Stranglers operated in WA for awhile too, I believe. I've wondered about this myself.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,845,743 times
Didn't Downs also carry on an in prison romance with a covicted serial killer?
Who was he?
To be fair DD was from Arizona.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:12 PM

89,217 posts, read 86,032,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Maybe they have better cops who catch them. I would think that there are many serial killers that go uncaught. People have to notice that someone has disappeared, report it, then the cops have to realize that they aren't individual killings - probably not all serial killers make it as obvious as Criminal Minds make it seem.
This is true. I once read that at any given time, approximately 100 serial killers are operating in the United States. Often they go undetected because their victims are given little attention--prostitutes, the homeless, runaways, people that no one is tracking or connecting.

Here's another bizarre theory--my own, but the Pacific Northwest connection rang a bell. That part of the country is known for being very artsy--there are a lot of literary magazines based there and other art forms practiced that you would often connect more with major metropolitan areas. Further, this goes back to pre-Columbian times in the area. The indigenous peoples left behind a lot of art in the form of pottery, religious articles, etc. There's a good reason for this--food was usually plentiful in that part of the country, and when a society doesn't have to spend as much time and energy chasing down basic living needs, they have more time for creativity.

So...is serial murder some sort of warped art form? Think about it. These people have the time and creativity to plan out their deeds and think them through. It could also explain why serial murderers are usually white, gainfully employed men. They have the time and resources to practice what they most love to do.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,067,253 times
I am sketchy on this, and please don't laugh.

There is this thing called 'prana', which is a life energy that is particularly prevalent in sunlight according to some ancient religious writings. I think the Chinese 'chi' is the same.
Well, being so far north, I think I read that the Seattle area gets very little daylight in the winter (and it drizzles much of the time). Some people there purchase those full spectrum light boxes because they get so tired and depressed. The light seems to increase their energy and give them a more positive attitude. I remember at work how people seemed weighted down on crummy days, even when they were indoors and could not visually see the daylight.

Maybe some people who are already on shakey ground go off the deep end in their thinking when light deprived.

Yes the writer, Ann Rule, was once a cop and turned writer and felt that she would be more competent than most in spotting the criminally insane. It really blew her mind that she worked next to and was sometimes a lunchmate with Bundy.

The common 'normal' person cannot ever identify with these people. They are probably born that way and can not be 'cured'. What to do with them? Either lock them up forever or kill them, obviously. Punish them for what they are created as. This is a shocking thought to a culture that believes in forgiveness and redemption, yet scarce resources are best spent in areas where some good can be accomplished.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:04 PM

I am not laughing. You have the chi thing down pretty well.
Now there is this case of a child who is suspected of being murdered by his step mother.
In Oregon.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:37 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,067,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am not laughing. You have the chi thing down pretty well.
Now there is this case of a child who is suspected of being murdered by his step mother.
In Oregon.
The devil's seed? Ok, that's a low thought, but there are all sorts of abberations in nature. Are some people just born or imprinted to do really terrible things? Are things so ingrained at such an early age that they cannot be changed later?

I think we really drop the ball, sometimes, when it comes to mental health intervention for youth. I think just recently the federal government had to step in on some youth detention centers in New York. I often wonder what is going on in some schools where the troubled kids cannot be weed out and helped to find a better way in life.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:26 PM

I am really not sure of what you mean when you state "the devil's seed."
Please fill me in.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:18 PM

38 posts, read 86,612 times
There was also a Charlie.... Grrrr darn it now ima have to google him anyway he killed his ex g/f, my grandmother went to school with and was good friends with his mother. Another question, why is montana leading state for murder/suicide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime