Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,879,188 times

Advertisements

Brutal communist dictatorship, like N Korea, Myanmar, even Venezuela or Nicaragua.
Don't want to travel to these countries and condone the misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 07:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Brutal communist dictatorship, like N Korea, Myanmar, even Venezuela or Nicaragua.
Don't want to travel to these countries and condone the misery.
If you travel for the purpose of waving your country's flag and microscopically examining political undercurrents, with a predetermined mindset about what you're going to see when you get there, and letting Jesse Helms decide your itinerary for you, the world will be very happy if you just stay in your pigeon hole. Be careful when you travel, you might accidentally SEE or LEARN something.

By the way, see if you can find a newspaper published after you were born. The government of Myanmar consider the Communist Party to be a threat, and brutally represses Communist activities.

To bring you into the current millennium about Nicaragua,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politic...a#Human_rights

Be sure you don't go to Germany, you've probably heard there are Nazis in charge there.

I was going to say it's a free country, and you can go where you want, but in fact it's not a free country, and the USA is the only developed country that criminalizes travel abroad and tells its citizens that they cannot go where they want. If you had a Venezuelan or Nicaraguan passport, you would be free to go to any country in the world. Be sure you don't condone that.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-20-2011 at 08:20 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 12:53 PM

16,676 posts, read 17,447,182 times
Brits are free to go to Cuba and I haven't heard of a mass conspiracy to subvert our democracy.

I would like to go there before it becomes yet another cookie cutter destination.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:35 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,909,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Brits are free to go to Cuba and I haven't heard of a mass conspiracy to subvert our democracy.

I would like to go there before it becomes yet another cookie cutter destination.
The travel restrictions are a joke, if you must have $3 an evening hookers, just go.
Before this gets too political, the real debate is the trade embargo - and yes, European companies that do business in the US are subject to the same embargo requirements of not trading with Cuba (and the EMEA countries initiate their own sanctions and limited embargoes on Cuba from time to time for human rights violations). My company, a european based company, will not trade with Cuba.

Last edited by Dd714; 05-20-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 06:14 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

I wanted to go and celebrate my friends birthday there with his family but it got too complicated. I am Brit living in the US with an L2 visa. I am not a 'resident' when it comes to the immigration queue ( 4 hours at JFK last trip ) at the airports but suddenly I am bound by the same rules if I want to go to Cuba....

I could prove that I wasn't spending US earned money there as I have a UK and Singapore account and don't work here but husband didn't think it was worth the risk - I think he was more jealous that I would go without him !! he can't risk them taking his work visa. I couldn't care less if I have mine taken away....

I want to go before it becomes like Cancun. Went there once, was the worst holiday ever... great big sprawling hotels and buffet meals... we could of been anywhere in the world. I'll never do a resort again.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:55 AM

@ Swisswife :Varadero is like Cancun, just met a Canadian bloke who went there recently.
Anyway, I couldn't stand to see statues of mass murderers Castro & Guevara , it would make me in a bad mood, I might say something I shouldn't and end up in their jails.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,300,403 times
Quote:
@ Swisswife :Varadero is like Cancun, just met a Canadian bloke who went there recently.
Anyway, I couldn't stand to see statues of mass murderers Castro & Guevara , it would make me in a bad mood, I might say something I shouldn't and end up in their jails.
Varadero is Cancun lite. Don't forget pigeonhole, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Fidel and Che don't hold a candle to good American allies like Marcos and the Shah though...

Old 05-24-2011, 03:31 AM

Fidel and Che don't hold a candle to good American allies like Marcos and the Shah though...
Those are dead and buried now, do you find the Ayatollahs, Chavez and the Castro family better? C'mon....

Old 05-24-2011, 07:28 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,300,403 times
Quote:
Those are dead and buried now, do you find the Ayatollahs, Chavez and the Castro family better? C'mon....
Define better. By total headcount, they're way better.

But this is going WAY off topic. If you want to have the which flavour of dictator is worse discussion, we can do a new topic or go DM. Let's just say that they all suck, from across the entire political spectrum. The FSU and the US both have had their share of tinpot dictators.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,909,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Varadero is Cancun lite. Don't forget pigeonhole, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Yeah this is way too political, so forgive me for one more political thought or contemplation:

What's with the Che T-shirts that are in popular culture? We don't see t-shirts of the Shah, or of Marcos. But Che? The guy responsible for political executions of his countrymen? the guy that ran a torture prison? the guy who's hero was Stalin? The famous "gueirilla leader" who never fought in a guerilla engagement (except to execute unarmed prisoners) in his life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel