Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:04 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,839,316 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone to Cuba for a vacation? I have also heard that this all-inclusive hotel/resort is a good one:
Iberostar Varadero

Anyone gone there? Experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,059,883 times
If you are a U.S. citizen you need a reason to travel to Cuba legally. It can be visiting family, religious organization, education, charity etc.. You can't really just go there for vacation but while you are there I guess you can stay are a resort just can't use any credit cards. If you have a passport from another country you have no problem just have to catch a flight from another country like the Bahamas or Canada. But again no U.S. credit cards.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:11 PM

If you are a U.S. citizen you need a reason to travel to Cuba legally. It can be visiting family, religious organization, education, charity etc.. You can't really just go there for vacation but while you are there I guess you can stay are a resort just can't use any credit cards. If you have a passport from another country you have no problem just have to catch a flight from another country like the Bahamas or Canada. But again no U.S. credit cards

I am not so sure that it so at this time -- I know a few people who have taken trips to Cuba fairly recently as vacations; I was recently in the Bahamas and met a woman there who said she had been to Cuba x2 for vacation; that it was both interesting and reasonable, price wise and that the country was trying to promote a vacation destination there.

Based on what she had said, and the pluses of the island, I thought it would be an interesting trip.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 PM

Sure you can catch a flight from the Bahamas and illegally visit without the correct documentation.

There are many flights a day between the U.S. and Cuba especially from Miami. These flights are ran by special travel agencies with government approval. Every person on those flights has permission from the U.S. government to travel to Cuba and be on those aircraft. If you want to try to get the paper work by saying all you want to do is spend you money and give it to Catro's government maybe you can get it.

But if you plan to legally enter Cuba by air on a plane leaving the United States you will need to have government papers allowing you to visit.

Again people do go there without it you just need to fly from a different country like the Bahamas or Mexico.

The problem is not going to Cuba it is spending money in Cuba that is illegal. So to enter the country the U.S. government gives you permission to spend money there.
See this link:
FAQ's

This only applies to U.S. citizens who only have a U.S. passport. If you have a passport from another country you can travel there all you want. Bahamians, Mexicans, Canadians, Spanish etc.. They are travel to Cuba with no restrictions.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,230,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I am not so sure that it so at this time -- I know a few people who have taken trips to Cuba fairly recently as vacations; I was recently in the Bahamas and met a woman there who said she had been to Cuba x2 for vacation; that it was both interesting and reasonable, price wise and that the country was trying to promote a vacation destination there.

Based on what she had said, and the pluses of the island, I thought it would be an interesting trip.
It is so: Cuba

The U.S. Department of the Treasury enforces the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, which apply to all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to travel for tourist activities are not licensable. This restriction also prohibits tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

You can theoretically go, but it is against the law and you would have to be extra careful to cover your tracks. It appears fines for violating the embargo are pretty steep too.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM

Holy Moly! How have other people managed to travel there - and come back?
Dam**, I really wanted to go on vacation there; guess have to go back to the drawing board and think about another place.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,497,088 times
I've heard about the Canada thing, but I'd be boarding the aircraft with a U.S. passport. Not! I don't think Air Canada will board you on a flight to Havana with an American passport.

I'll wait for it to open up. However, that will really CHANGE Cuba and I think the old world quaintness will go away.

For now, if I want to hear a Cuban enough accent or eat Cuban food, I would be more than happy to go to Gran Canaria of the Canary Islands, and be on Spanish soil in the process. (I need to get around to the other islands in the Canaries but don't know when I'll get back that way).

Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 PM

5,756 posts, read 11,675,795 times
Most Americans I know who travel to Cuba without Treasury Department permission fly through airports without US Customs stationed at the facility, due to concerns over local data-sharing. That includes airports like Simón Bolívar (CCS) near Caracas, or Sandino airport (MGA) near Managua.

Americans do fly out of Mexico, though there are a lot of rumors about passenger information sharing between Mexico and the US. To evade suspicion, it's probably safer to fly through Venezuela.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:29 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,497,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Americans do fly out of Mexico, though there are a lot of rumors about passenger information sharing between Mexico and the US. To evade suspicion, it's probably safer to fly through Venezuela.
I'll just wait. Until the connection is at MIA airport or there is a high-speed hydrofoil, or whatever, from the Keys.

As for the OP, Canadians I have spoken to about Cuba like it. They say it's funky, it's cheap, the people are nice, and the food is good. They don't rave about it. It sounds like they're giving it a "B."

Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 PM

If you want Cuban food and Cuban accents go to Miami.

Anyway there are charity groups and educational groups out there that make trips to Cuba. Just don't expect to be relaxing on a beach drinking cold drinks. All the money goes to the communist government from the resorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel