Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:15 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,735,976 times

Advertisements

Has anyone taken a European tour by train? If so, what was it like and what were the costs? Any advice? Is it really the cheapest way to travel in Europe? Where did you go?

I want to fly into Amsterdam, take a train to London, then to Paris, then finally to Nice and the French Riviera. Of course I'd stay in each city a few days. I have been to Amsterdam, Paris and Nice before so I know the customs pretty well. I just really want to go back! I'd probably go around the end of summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,227,975 times
Eurail may be what you're thinking of - Eurail Passes | Official EuRail Website - Travel by Train Across Europe

also, once you get to Europe, Ryanair offers shockingly low fares - like 5-10 pounds to anywhere it seems.
Ryanair.com - Book your cheap flight, hotels, car rental with ryanair.com

disclaimer! I've never used either one.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:24 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,824,954 times
i've taken the Eurostar between London and Paris, it was very comfortable but expensive, around $110+ if I recall. Travelled also a lot by rail in Italy and loved it. Europe generally is setup for rail travel so it should be a snap. Get a Eurail pass.

Ryanair or Easyjet may be another option. I've used Easyjet in the past and they are super. However expect to spend more time because they usually fly to small airports like Luton/Stansted in London or Orly in Paris, Ciampino in Rome. Since most of these smaller airports are connected by metro to the city center it shoudn't be difficult but it may take an hour longer.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,084,997 times
I've done Eurail pass, regular train, plane, and car.
It really depends on where you are going, whether you are okay with driving, and how far you want to plan ahead.
If you want to use Ryanair, book before you go, and be sure to check out their charges for checked baggage. But if you travel light they are indeed a bargain.
Some people prefer Easyjet, though. And in Italy, it is nice to have a car.
The last Europe trip we took, once we were over there, trained it in Germany (the agent recommended a family deal, and we took him up on it), then we flew from Hanover (Germany) to Dubrovnik, then from Split to Strasbourg (France)where we trained it, and then we trained it to Frankfurt to fly home. But we figured out all this plane stuff before we ever went over there.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

also, once you get to Europe, Ryanair offers shockingly low fares - like 5-10 pounds to anywhere it seems.
Ryanair.com - Book your cheap flight, hotels, car rental with ryanair.com

disclaimer! I've never used either one.
Is this real!?!?! I just looked up a one-way flight from Paris to Marseille and it only costs 3 Euros!!! What's the catch? Am I flying in CARGO?!?!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:21 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,517,055 times
i think it's what skybus was trying to emulate. its a no frills airline. no food, blankie, nuts or drinks.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
its a no frills airline. no food, blankie, nuts or drinks.
No problem!!! You can't even finish a drink on an hour long flight anyway.
But seriously, 3 Euros!?!?!
How is this possible? This saves me TONS of spending money.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,824,954 times
I don't know how they can offer a flight this cheap, I really can't see the economics behind it considering astronomical fuel costs, airport fees, staff, maintainence, aircraft leasing expenses etc. but hey if they can make it work somehow then it's GOOD for us

Old 04-14-2008, 04:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,084,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I don't know how they can offer a flight this cheap, I really can't see the economics behind it considering astronomical fuel costs, airport fees, staff, maintainence, aircraft leasing expenses etc.
Ryanair has been around for years now.
The more far ahead you book, the cheaper it is.

My kid has flown with them and everything was fine: they tend to connect at smaller airports (London Stansted rather than Heathrow, with very few flights out of London Gatwick), but that's not always the case.
Just look out for hidden charges. It really helps to travel light.

There are entire websites devoted to complaints about Ryanair.
Customer service complaints often occur with these no frills airlines, but it seems that Ryanair gets the most.
Perhaps this comes hand in hand with being one of the most successful discount airlines.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 AM

601 posts, read 1,906,391 times
I traveled much of Germany by train. Always had a good time!!!! Trains were
punctual and easy to plan itineraries. I thought they were not that expensive
if you consider the cost of maybe a car rental and gas. It was a party for me and my friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel