Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 11:51 AM

30 posts, read 39,723 times

Advertisements

What is the best time of year to go to Europe, I am thinking like London, Paris, Germany, Scotland.

I have a child in School aswell. I look at several books and website I just cant see when it is the optimal time to go. We get the last two weeks of the year off, I would love to go then but I have heard everything is closed so i might no be worth it. Is summer really too crazy and crowded to go.

Please Help me make up my mind!

Thanks

M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 11:55 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,927,255 times
Given a choice I would say late spring or early fall. England and Scotland can be rainy anytime, I don't know if spring or fall is better. Winter is a difficult time to be sightseeing.

Many things in Paris close in August (when Parisians like to vacation).

Major tourist sites in the big cities will be very crowded during the summer. Hotel prices and air will be higher too.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:08 AM

905 posts, read 3,455,883 times
I like to travel in the spring and fall to Europe, It's before/after the crazy summer season cranks up and the weather is always good. I am leaving today for Spain and Italy!

Old 09-17-2013, 04:36 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,045 times
I have had a lot of success going to Europe in September / October. I even went to Italy in late February and had a lot of fun.

Going off season does save money and is less crowded. However, the days can be short and the weather touchy.

If you are going to London or Paris I would suggest sticking with going off season. However, Germany and Scotland should be fine in May / June.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:10 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
At the end of the year is the only time you can go? Just do it then. It'll be cheaper, no crowds, and I imagine Europe + the possibility of snow sounds really beautiful.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:15 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,551,229 times
By the "end of the year" do you mean in late December? Friends of mine went in Sept. and said it was wonderful. Perhaps your student gets an April break as we do here in New England.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:39 PM

401 posts, read 479,866 times
I wouldn't recommend summer i.e. high season. It's very expensive then. Spring or Fall would be better cost wise. If the only time you can go is the end of the year then, go then. There will still be stuff worth seeing. The Tower of London should still be open. There'll be lots of shows to see in London plus, the Christmas lights will be up. I think Germany has special Christmas markets that time of year though I've never done any sightseeing there.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
I've been in every season. Each has its pros and cons. September/October might be rainy. February/March might be cold. Summer might be crowded.

Shoulder season (spring/fall) tends to be cheaper airfare, but cheaper than what? $1,200 versus $900? Getting yourself overseas can be a pricey option, so you might as well go when you like. If your kids enjoy castles and such, the weather does not matter a whole lot. If they enjoy hiking/walking, maybe you should think about late spring/early summer.

When we took our kids, we did one 3 week trip in March/April and another at the end of May. The school-work they missed did not matter much, and they wrote reports on their trips.

A couple years ago we went to France and Spain in mid-December, we found open jaw tickets (into Toulouse, out of Madrid) for a bit over $800. Loved the Christmas markets and imaginative lights and displays. We were lucky with the weather, it was crisp but dry. There were some closings for Christmas Day but everything was pretty much business as usual.

I went to Paris and Lisbon this past July. My ticket was over $1,000. Oh well. The weather was glorious, I had a wonderful time, and everything went smoothly.

Weigh your preferences and options, and go from there.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM

30 posts, read 39,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
By the "end of the year" do you mean in late December? Friends of mine went in Sept. and said it was wonderful. Perhaps your student gets an April break as we do here in New England.
Yes, the last two weeks of December. My job give us that time of the year off and my son is out of school. So we often travel during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel