Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM

487 posts, read 893,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But as someone who has successfully been treated for a full blown phobia, I cannot accept a declaration of "treatment will not help" without comment.
Yes you can, and you should. you know nothing about OP's situation, and neither were you asked for your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:16 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,061,153 times
Well best of luck. It will be ineresting to see what you do if you do book something across the atlantic.

If not, as I am sure you are aware there are tons of resources out there for fear of flying. From forums, books, medical doctors who can prescribe medications, others with the fear, learning to fly etc.. Learning to fly is IMO the best way to get rid of it. It is a common fear, but as you stated unfortunately if it becomes so bad that you can't step on an airplane it cane really limit what you can do in this world sometimes.

To not see family for a statistically irrational fear is not an easy thing to handle I am sure. Best of luck. I hope you seek treatment. I know many who would cancel trips and stay home because of fear of flying and now some of them even have pilot licenses!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,407,643 times
The OP must be very unique and have a special phobia that is unlike anyone else's and therefore, uncurable.

Of course.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:33 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,392,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
It would be amazing if somehow this became an option. I have not seen my family in over 2 years and I hope this will make it possible. No, unfortunately, flying is not an option for me.
I don't have a phobia of flying, but I do have 2 young children and flying is a total hassle, especially overseas. We have family in Hawaii which we would love to see soon but the 9+ hour flight there is just too much to handle with the whole fam. Getting through security, carting all the stuff to the gate, squirmy kids on the verge of a breakdown, the dirty looks, the complete lack of courtesy from nearly everyone... those are the things that have made me 'afraid' to fly any real distance so we just have not gone. I've always tried to look at some kind of cruising option, but the logistics, time and expense have always made that an unrealistic option too. I do wish they'd bring the old transit liner days back, especially as TSA maintains such an overbearing and unaccommodating attitude. But of course TSA would eventually stick their grubby nose into that as well, so you can't win.

Your best bet for a cheap cruise is to go last minute. You can sign up to be on a waiting list online, or if you know a good travel agent he/she can put you in touch with some screaming deals if you can be flexible about your dates/ports. Passenger ships make their money when the ship is at 100% occupancy, so they have a vested interested in packing it full, even if some passengers get on below cost. That's more common with non-transit destinations like the Caribbean or Alaska, but the deals are out there for transatlantic cruises too. Let us know what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
I'm confused: did OP ask for advice about their mental health, or are you people just offering ignorant and unasked advice?
Indeed... Sheesh, people. How many threads have you seen on this travel forum where someone complains about any little aspect of air travel, particularly security, and 20 people snidely bark back "If you don't like it, then don't fly!!!"

And here you have someone who hates flying and they're perfectly willing to consider ANY other option. So then people bark at them for being a slave to their fears and offer all sorts of unsympathetic, unsolicited advice. I get the feeling that it's the same barkers in BOTH cases.

Last edited by otterprods; 03-18-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 05:10 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,062,042 times
I'd rather pop a bunch of pills and spend that 20 days at sea with my family.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:36 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,981,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I don't have a phobia of flying, but I do have 2 young children and flying is a total hassle, especially overseas. We have family in Hawaii which we would love to see soon but the 9+ hour flight there is just too much to handle with the whole fam. Getting through security, carting all the stuff to the gate, squirmy kids on the verge of a breakdown, the dirty looks, the complete lack of courtesy from nearly everyone... those are the things that have made me 'afraid' to fly any real distance so we just have not gone. I've always tried to look at some kind of cruising option, but the logistics, time and expense have always made that an unrealistic option too. I do wish they'd bring the old transit liner days back, especially as TSA maintains such an overbearing and unaccommodating attitude. But of course TSA would eventually stick their grubby nose into that as well, so you can't win.

Your best bet for a cheap cruise is to go last minute. You can sign up to be on a waiting list online, or if you know a good travel agent he/she can put you in touch with some screaming deals if you can be flexible about your dates/ports. Passenger ships make their money when the ship is at 100% occupancy, so they have a vested interested in packing it full, even if some passengers get on below cost. That's more common with non-transit destinations like the Caribbean or Alaska, but the deals are out there for transatlantic cruises too. Let us know what you find.

Indeed... Sheesh, people. How many threads have you seen on this travel forum where someone complains about any little aspect of air travel, particularly security, and 20 people snidely bark back "If you don't like it, then don't fly!!!"

And here you have someone who hates flying and they're perfectly willing to consider ANY other option. So then people bark at them for being a slave to their fears and offer all sorts of unsympathetic, unsolicited advice. I get the feeling that it's the same barkers in BOTH cases.
Well we are going to florida.

Get up at 5am leave at 6 and drive for 3 hours.
Get to airport at 9am
Check in and go through preclearance
Leave at 1pm and fly for 7 hours
Arrive at ewr
Fly at 5pm for 3 hours
Arrive at mco
Drive for 30 mins
Arrive at 10pm
Bed

That is 22 hours awake and we have done it before and it was fine. You should relax its really memorising and you get to sit and think about things. Bit the bullet and go.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:55 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,165,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
That is 22 hours awake and we have done it before and it was fine. You should relax its really memorising and you get to sit and think about things. Bit the bullet and go.
Clearly you missed the "young children" part. Nobody really wants to know how tough it is for an 18-year old to spend a day in cars, planes and airports to go to Florida.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:03 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,981,909 times
I was 12 the last time I went.

Its bareable. Just think one day out of a month is nothing.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,392,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well we are going to florida.

Get up at 5am leave at 6 and drive for 3 hours.
Get to airport at 9am
Check in and go through preclearance
Leave at 1pm and fly for 7 hours
Arrive at ewr
Fly at 5pm for 3 hours
Arrive at mco
Drive for 30 mins
Arrive at 10pm
Bed

That is 22 hours awake and we have done it before and it was fine. You should relax its really memorising and you get to sit and think about things. Bit the bullet and go… I was 12 the last time I went. Its bareable. Just think one day out of a month is nothing.
Ever try it with a one and three year old you're responsible for? Not so mesmerizing and/or meditative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Clearly you missed the "young children" part. Nobody really wants to know how tough it is for an 18-year old to spend a day in cars, planes and airports to go to Florida.
OK, wheres the rep x 100 button?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel