Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:57 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
If you do know that then why bring it up---- what is your reason. If it is a fear of flying you are in much more danger in a car on your way to and from the airport
Don't pick on the OP. Clearly, they have a phobia of some sort. Being logicial and ratiional is impossible when one has a phobia. (I know this because I used to have a full blown phobia about dogs after having my face bitten when I was eleven. Took me 20+ years to get over it. Finally did when I bought my first house and then got a dog. A Doberman! Sweetest dog I ever met.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Don't pick on the OP. Clearly, they have a phobia of some sort. Being logicial and ratiional is impossible when one has a phobia. (I know this because I used to have a full blown phobia about dogs after having my face bitten when I was eleven. Took me 20+ years to get over it. Finally did when I bought my first house and then got a dog. A Doberman! Sweetest dog I ever met.)
But attempting to fix this phobia could possibly be cheaper than two transatlantic ship trips. And that's not factoring in the days lost. I want to do a transatlantic trip one day two for fun. But flying is much much more economical and safer.

But the OP has gotten good advice on how to do the crossing like its 60 years ago. Best of luck. It should be fun.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:21 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
I would say it would be terrifying.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:53 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
When do you have to go? If you have to go in the summer its going to be expensive. Check the Princess and Norwegian Cruise Lines websites. You might also check cruises.com. There are some ships leaving New York for the United Kingdom in the near future that advertise a fare around $500 to $600 for a seven day cruise.

Shop around and be flexible if you want something affordable.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
But attempting to fix this phobia could possibly be cheaper than two transatlantic ship trips. And that's not factoring in the days lost. I want to do a transatlantic trip one day two for fun. But flying is much much more economical and safer.

But the OP has gotten good advice on how to do the crossing like its 60 years ago. Best of luck. It should be fun.
That is, of course, completely true. BUT the OP didn't ask for information about dealing with fear of flying (and I'm only guessing that is the OP's reason for looking for alternatives. In point of fact, he/she never stated the reasons.)

As far as safer, I've never seen any stats comparing cruises to airline travel (car and train travel are irrelevant in this discussion). If you have some links, I'd be curious.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Yes, it is fear of flying.

Thank you so much everyone for the resources you indicated.
I am now examining my options or possibly considering another year of just not going where I need to get.

In the kind of world we live today, this phobia is obviously very limiting. And of course, when cases like the one currently in the news surface, the same phobia also feels extremely useful.

Having a very severe case, "treatment" or discussions about the comparative safety of flying vs. other modes of traveling will not help.

Thank you again -having those sites to work with is a start for me. I did not even think sea travel is even possible anymore, outside of strictly cruising.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
Freighters are normally more expensive than cruises.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Yes, it is fear of flying.

Thank you so much everyone for the resources you indicated.
I am now examining my options or possibly considering another year of just not going where I need to get.

In the kind of world we live today, this phobia is obviously very limiting. And of course, when cases like the one currently in the news surface, the same phobia also feels extremely useful.

Having a very severe case, "treatment" or discussions about the comparative safety of flying vs. other modes of traveling will not help.

Thank you again -having those sites to work with is a start for me. I did not even think sea travel is even possible anymore, outside of strictly cruising.
I absolutely do not agree with the statement I highlighted in red. It's your choice to allow this phobia to control your life. There is treatment available, and it does succeed, when the individual suffering with the phobia wants to 'cure' it enough to work through the process.

Maybe this will get you going: How are YOU going to feel if those family members die before you get there to see them? Pretty awful, and that guilt will follow YOU for your entire life. Take control of YOUR life and do something about it. Seek help with this from a professional. You'd be amazed at how much your life will improve.

Full Definition of PHOBIA (from Merriam-Webster)

: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 PM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
I'm confused: did OP ask for advice about their mental health, or are you people just offering ignorant and unasked advice?

Old 03-17-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
I'm confused: did OP ask for advice about their mental health, or are you people just offering ignorant and unasked advice?
I provided alternatives (on this thread and by PM) related to transatlantic travel methods that do not involve airplanes. And until the OP declared that "treatment will not help", I said nothing about getting treatment. But as someone who has successfully been treated for a full blown phobia, I cannot accept a declaration of "treatment will not help" without comment.

Sorry if I offended; nevertheless, what I posted is accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel