Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
There are a lot of "bums" where I live. I can't pump gas or go get lunch without being asked for money. Sometimes it's annoying, but overall I'm very thankful life has been so good to me that I don't need to ask someone else for money. I see a big difference between homeless people and criminals. I'm sorry you had an unpleasant experience somewhere along the way, but there are going to be people down on their luck everywhere you go.

Honestly there are a lot of people who aren't down on their luck (like you maybe) who I would put in a category way below those bums you're so upset about. Complaining about your vacation being ruined by bums is as shallow as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Default Re: determining who underclass vermin are

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuyno View Post
How do you determine which ones they are, when you see them walking down the street? Or on the beach?
Appearance
Aroma
Behavior

Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Appearance
Aroma
Behavior
Because God knows there are no well dressed, clean pick-pockets, con artists, rapists, serial killers, child molesters, crooks.... You can't judge a book by its cover - some people look perfectly acceptable and are rotten to the core. Some people are down on their luck but are simply good people who have no place to bathe regularly and a very limited wardrobe.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,508 times
Careful, lil_fox. One of these days you could be the one with your hand out trying to find a meal or a place to sleep. Not everyone on the streets was born there.

I am very fortunate and have never been poor, but it's not hard for me to have compassion for those who are homeless. It shouldn't be hard for anybody.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Appearance
Aroma
Behavior
I know people who aren't homeless who you might think were. I sat next to a woman on an Amtrak train for three hours who spent the entire time mumbling to herself and eating her hair. There used to be a woman on my morning NJT train who smelled like salami and I don't think combed her hair more than once a week.

I highly doubt either of them were homeless.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I know people who aren't homeless who you might think were. I sat next to a woman on an Amtrak train for three hours who spent the entire time mumbling to herself and eating her hair. There used to be a woman on my morning NJT train who smelled like salami and I don't think combed her hair more than once a week.

I highly doubt either of them were homeless.
My great aunt looked homeless, same tired old clothes, unkempt
I hate to tell you what she was worth when she passed away

Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
Quote:
At least I don't lie about my age.
LOL! You really don't think lil_fox13 looks 31?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
LOL! You really don't think lil_fox13 looks 31?
Sure, 12 years ago.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Careful, lil_fox. One of these days you could be the one with your hand out trying to find a meal or a place to sleep. Not everyone on the streets was born there.

I am very fortunate and have never been poor, but it's not hard for me to have compassion for those who are homeless. It shouldn't be hard for anybody.
Really now... You actually have no problem with dropping a few grand to take your wife away to a tropical paradise and being constantly harassed for money the entire time you were there? Give me a break.

My wife and I went to Cuba for our honeymoon last May. While we were there, we took a day trip to see colonial Havana and the Tropicana show. I can't say I enjoyed Havana much, mainly due to being harassed constantly by beggars the entire time. We couldn't hear most of what our tour guide said when explaining the significance of some of the buildings over beggars yelling at us in Spanish (which I don't understand a word of). I wouldn't recommend that tour to anyone as a result, and wouldn't return to Havana if you paid me. It wasn't worth the money for all we were able to get out of it. I know someone else who took his wife to the Dominican Republic for a vacation and not only was harassed the entire time for money, but he said when taking the bus to town, locals with "open sores" on their hands were sticking them through the window at him begging for money. They came home before their vacation was half over. So I guess you could say I see exactly what the OP is worried about.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Sure, 12 years ago.
Good lord. I hope I never have to depend on you as a material witness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel