Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,375,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_fox13 View Post
One of the incidents was in Pier House Resort , Key West. Not sure how you would rank this one. Bums were obnoxious... I thought I was going to get stoned and beaten...
Do you research places online extensively before booking? I always read through as many reviews as I can find before I reserve a room. In fact I just looked up reviews for the resort you stayed at in Key West and did find mention of there being a "beach club" on premises that allows local people and not just resort guests!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,347,702 times
Quote:
One of the incidents was in Pier House Resort , Key West. Not sure how you would rank this one. Bums were obnoxious... I thought I was going to get stoned and beaten...
I'm going to have to call BS on that one Princess, having stayed there myself. The resort's postage sized beach, staffed beach hut right next to it, restaurant/bar just steps away and card-key access to the swimming pool would hardly allow for that place to be over-run by stone-throwing, assault-minded bums.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=pier+...15000&t=h&z=20

Last edited by Ghengis; 02-26-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,773,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm going to have to call BS on that one Princess, having stayed there myself. The resort's postage sized beach, staffed beach hut right next to it, restaurant/bar just steps away and card-key access to the swimming pool would hardly allow for that place to be over-run by stone-throwing, assault-minded bums.
All of these psychotic, vengeful, and stone-throwing bums are all real...in her mind.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,581,843 times
"Hey can you show me a place where I don't have to share air with people of differing income levels?..."

Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,608,557 times
Quote:
I have a problem with homeless people hanging out by high end resorts and taking bath in the ocean while cussing, passing gas and begging vacationers for money…That is just so disturbing and offensive and ruins the day…
Is there any bum control in highly commercialized resorts in US or the Caribbean?
What would be the best place to go on vacation without being harassed by a homeless person?

UPDATE! I expressed myself harshly. So here is a little update before you attack and call me arrogant:

The "bums" I saw, were rude, they cussed and passed gas. They spit in a baby blue water. They weren't nice. There were drunk. That is what I would like to avoid.

Huh. While I've seen my share of poverty while traveling, I don't recall this behavior...anywhere. Can you afford St Barths? I've never been but it's been described to me as one of the few islands with basically no poverty. Of course there's a good reason for that.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
This is not a moral thread. This is more of the safety and sanitation thread. I don't like lice, rotten teeth and STDs, cussing and farts while I am paying money to enjoy my vacation. If you are doing quite well, then good for you. Speaking of arrogance....
Well there's an easy way to avoid those. Have the feeling this thread is going to get closed, though.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Well, as you probably know, there are lots of "off" people in KW. I stayed at Pier House once and nobody ever bothered me there, on the grounds. In town I did have a homeless guy ask for money, he said he could lie and tell me he needed something to eat but what he really wanted was a beer. I gave him a buck just because he was honest and funny.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=pier+...15000&t=h&z=20
That's my memory of Pier House, as well. If anybody was drunk, passing gas, and spitting, it would have been a guest.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 AM

9,000 posts, read 21,310,768 times
Consider:

1. Any upscale (five-star) resort area in the US, especially those that are in small town seclusion. Hint: anywhere where one would go to ski or golf.

2. Any international (four/five-star) all-inclusive that is relatively secluded from the general population.

As Cuba trips for Americans are highly structured and focus on interacting with "everyday" Cubans, it would not be the relaxing getaway that I presume the OP seeks. Taking a "detour" flight through Canada or Mexico is ill-advised.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 AM

13,446 posts, read 28,947,174 times
Quote:
Oh, wow, thanks! We will check it out I love Cuba! Been working on my "Cubano" tan for a while now
If you are American you can't go to Cuba unless it's for family or some kind of education tour.
Any Sandals Resort in the Caribbean will keep you bubbled up as long as you don't leave the compound....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel