Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,661 times

Advertisements

So I've traveled a lot on business over the past few years and have noticed that men don't seem to help women put their baggage into the overhead compartments very often. Men, do you help? Why or why not? Women, do you expect the help or ask for help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 05:30 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Actually if one has a problem I think one should ask for help from one of the flight attendants.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 AM

218 posts, read 483,534 times
I'm a female, and if I have a problem lifting something I ask someone who works there to help. I don't put it off on a random stranger to help out.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chococattus View Post
So I've traveled a lot on business over the past few years and have noticed that men don't seem to help women put their baggage into the overhead compartments very often. Men, do you help? Why or why not? Women, do you expect the help or ask for help?
I don't expect or need the help. The day I can't safely put my bag into the overhead by myself is the day I start checking it.

I think it's utterly ridiculous for anyone to expect another person to help them with a bag unless that person is a paid porter.

By the way, flight attendants are not obligated to assist with bags, and under their union work rules, can refuse to do so. Don't get on a plane expecting the FA to lift or otherwise stow your bag for you. They are there for your safety, not as porters.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:09 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The day I can't safely put my bag into the overhead by myself is the day I start checking it.
AMEN!

That should be a requirement. If you can't lift your bag into the bin, check it.

Heck when they crown me King of the world, checked bags will be free, and carry on will be surcharged. I want people loaded, butts in the seats ready to go, not jockeying for space, and then not being able to put their darn bag in when they finally find it.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I think that chivalry is generally dead all through the airport. It is too crowded, flights are delayed and cancelled, people are stressed, you are lucky they aren't allowed to take guns through the checkpoint or there would be shootings instead of snarls.

However, I have discovered that chivalry is available if you request it politely. It is not automatic. My personal example, I went to check in for my flight and discovered that they had moved me to a flight that was 2 hours earlier and was about to leave.

I ran to the checkpoint and asked if I could cut the line since my flight was taking off in 15 minutes.. I received at least 3 snarls that I should have arrived earlier. But when I explained that my flight had been changed without notifying me, the snarls changed immediately to murmurs of sympathy and I was ushered right through the checkpoint.

Conclusuion: do not expect anything you don't deserve or should be doing for yourself. But people will still help you if you are desperate from a situation that is out of your control.

By the way, I caught that flight. I ran the whole way and the flight attendant was holding the door for me, waving and shouting for me to hurry. The plane started moving as soon as the door was closed. So there is at least a tiny shred of chivalry left in the flight crews as well. (my bag didn't make it, but my dog was carry-on and the bag was delivered to my door a bit later)

Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
FA's not helping to put bags in the overhead have nothing to do with "union work rules" it has everything to do with the company denying workman's comp because loading bags "is not part of the job duty".

Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chococattus View Post
I assist anyone, man ... woman ... child when they seem to need or want it. I (a male) do not, however, offer assistance solely because another passenger is female (or other gender/age).

Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
AMEN!

That should be a requirement. If you can't lift your bag into the bin, check it.

Heck when they crown me King of the world, checked bags will be free, and carry on will be surcharged. I want people loaded, butts in the seats ready to go, not jockeying for space, and then not being able to put their darn bag in when they finally find it.
I'd rather pay extra to carry on then wait for my luggage. I'm probably the exception to the rule.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
FA's not helping to put bags in the overhead have nothing to do with "union work rules" it has everything to do with the company denying workman's comp because loading bags "is not part of the job duty".
Same idea. Bottom line, FA's do not have to assist with bags. If you can't lift it safely, check it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel