Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,852,518 times

Advertisements

I usually check my bag but I have found that if I tie up the aisle long enough struggling to get it into an overhead, some kind person always helps me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,301,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I usually check my bag but I have found that if I tie up the aisle long enough struggling to get it into an overhead, some kind person always helps me.
That seems rather selfish to me.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:29 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,895,239 times
Chivalry is dead everywhere.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,323,216 times
I generally don't see many people needing help getting in the bin - although many could use a lot of help in knowing how to actually put them in there to maximize the available space............

I'll offer if I see someone that may need it and am in proximity to actually do something .... typically this happens when there is someone in front of me who is short who is just having trouble getting it set in right ... I'm tallish so it's realy simple for me to just help guide it through ... helps us both out in the end

Old 01-31-2013, 01:58 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,326,461 times
I'll help just about anyone who needs it, and I'm a fairly small female. I don't expect other people to help me, though. If they do, great. If not, I'm a grown up and can do most things just fine. I try not to put myself in situations where I'll require assistance from strangers.

I think the idea of male chivalry is pretty lame. Better to just be a helpful person whether you're male or female. There's a guy at work who's hardly any bigger than me - maybe outweighs me by 5 pounds and is totally out of shape, and he's always trying to "help" me just because I'm female. Please. If you're actually a good bit stronger and can obviously help with something I'm having trouble with, that's different. But I don't automatically need help just because I'm a woman.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,390,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd rather pay extra to carry on then wait for my luggage. I'm probably the exception to the rule.
I'm the same way. Check-in is a last resort, but then again, I can lift my bag.

As far as the FA's go, that's another thing that will change under my reign. They don't actually get paid until the cabin door is closed...then they're on the clock. So their most stressful part of the day, they get to do for free. That's also partially why they won't lift. They aren't "officially" working yet. People who run day care and FA's just don't get paid enough to deal with the BS that they have to.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,301,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
People who run day care and FA's just don't get paid enough to deal with the BS that they have to.
In some ways airplanes are just like day cares.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 PM

947 posts, read 1,193,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I assist anyone, man ... woman ... child when they seem to need or want it. I (a male) do not, however, offer assistance solely because another passenger is female (or other gender/age).
This. I'd rather just stick to common courtesy.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 PM

7,628 posts, read 6,172,383 times
I hope Chivalry is not dead on planes, that being said, I seee less and less of it out in Public but I do my part to keep it alive.

* Whiile travelling on a propellor plane I gave up my seat to a Grandmother who was travelling with her Grandson. They had booked last minute, we had booked a few months in advance. There were only two seats left and they were not together. I took her seat elsewhere in the plane.

* on that same leg of the flight, aboard a jet, we were all three in the same row but not in the same side, so I set with the olderr child and the younger child had to sit between two adults. I had the older one due to his special needs. The adults sitting with my son were very helpful with him, but no one offered to change seats.

I would help out a lady if needed, I do outside of planes so why not on one?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM

64 posts, read 187,649 times
I fly alot & I'm a guy and anytime I see the "look" on a woman that says "uh this bag is heavy" I jump up & stow it for her. Its actually a win-win thing, cause it helps her, makes you feel good, and creates a feeling of good will on the aircraft....

And actually I do the same thing if I see an gentleman (usually elderly in the same situation).....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel