Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 AM

32,757 posts, read 48,432,926 times

Advertisements

Some of these issues would be solved if the airlines would enforce a size limit on carry-ons. As checked luggage gets more expensive, carry-ons get bigger and bigger, and the overhead bins have stayed the same size.

I about half expect to see a passenger trying to get a steamer trunk into the overhead bins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,190,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Some of these issues would be solved if the airlines would enforce a size limit on carry-ons. As checked luggage gets more expensive, carry-ons get bigger and bigger, and the overhead bins have stayed the same size.

I about half expect to see a passenger trying to get a steamer trunk into the overhead bins.
Agreed. My roll aboard is 20" wheels to handle and fits wheels in in almost every overhead. I take that and a briefcase or tote or small duffel (like a small gym bag) depending on where I'm headed. I learned long ago that the lighter you can travel, the happier you'll be, and there's very little you can't buy at your destination should an unexpected need arise. Fully loaded my roll on weighs about 17 pounds, the "small personal item" depends on the reason for my trip, but fits under the seat in front of me, so weight isn't a huge issue--it's typically in the 5-10 pound range. Both easily fall into the size and weight limits for all but the crazy super low cost carriers (Ryan Air for example). I've traveled for a month with just those two items with no problem.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,310,043 times
I have to disagree. I see chivalrous behaviors still everywhere. I've experienced it myself this past summer. I was delayed in LAX and was attempting to rush to my gate after just landing at MSP in MN and having much trouble getting to it.

Well I realized that I was heading the wrong way down the long aisle to get to my gate clear across the airport with just minutes to spare. I was facing having to stay in that airport because it was the last fight, 10:30 at night and I was about to lose it.

I know that I looked distressed, because it was at the end of a long 10 days having gone home to bury my only sister. I had held it together for that whole time, comforting her family, doing everything to help my adult niece and nephew and my children there...it was the "last straw".

A gentleman in one of those transports had his driver stop, ask after me...They got me on their transport and we rushed to the gate, one gate after his. He was so kind that I actually broke down crying as we were rushing along, he held me and comforted me and I will never forget his kindness.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,190,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I have to disagree. I see chivalrous behaviors still everywhere. I've experienced it myself this past summer. I was delayed in LAX and was attempting to rush to my gate after just landing at MSP in MN and having much trouble getting to it.

Well I realized that I was heading the wrong way down the long aisle to get to my gate clear across the airport with just minutes to spare. I was facing having to stay in that airport because it was the last fight, 10:30 at night and I was about to lose it.

I know that I looked distressed, because it was at the end of a long 10 days having gone home to bury my only sister. I had held it together for that whole time, comforting her family, doing everything to help my adult niece and nephew and my children there...it was the "last straw".

A gentleman in one of those transports had his driver stop, ask after me...They got me on their transport and we rushed to the gate, one gate after his. He was so kind that I actually broke down crying as we were rushing along, he held me and comforted me and I will never forget his kindness.
I think there's a big difference between what he did and expecting someone else to handle a bag that you know you can't lift on your own instead of checking it.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,964,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chococattus View Post
So I've traveled a lot on business over the past few years and have noticed that men don't seem to help women put their baggage into the overhead compartments very often. Men, do you help? Why or why not? Women, do you expect the help or ask for help?
Chivalry is dead, period, not just on planes. And rightfully so. It's an antiquated and sexist notion. Would I help a woman put her luggage up? Nope. I've had serious back issues in the past and won't risk going down that path again. I check my luggage that's too heavy for me to lift up to those heights.

Last edited by 11thHour; 02-03-2013 at 07:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel