Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,343,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I bought a new Yaris Hatchback in 2006. Sold it 1 year later. No mechanical defects, roomy interior, great mileage, and I like the way it looked. The only problem was it handled like a boat. I actually had to follow the speed limit signs around corners. You know the ones set low enough for the common denominator? The Yaris is the common denominator. Yes, the handling compares to passenger vans, school buses, the Toyota Avalon, big rigs, etc.
They must have fixed the problems you had. We have an 08 that's quite zippy around the bends-- at least as much as any other econo-box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 PM

15 posts, read 51,508 times
My roommate drives an 07 Hatch that he bought new. It's got 47k on it now, and it he's never had a single issue with it. Still getting 37+ MPG and doesn't have rattles or burn oil, etc. Not a bad car, though a tad noisy, but what can you expect for $13k?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:49 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,750,542 times
Default I've got a 2007 Yaris.....

Bought it new for $12K. Coming up on 20K miles, zero problems.

In general well pleased, does what I bought it for. On long trips, I've gotten in the 44 MPG category where you can be on the freeway in 5th gear for long periods. We are talking the basic transportation, lots of folks get them as commuter / second cars.

Toyota is one of the best for price of options, the others kill you on the option packages. Get the bigger wheels, high capacity electrical system, interior option package.

Pro's:

Like the A/C, electric power steering standard, fit and finish. Ability to get a small car with no clap-trap, manual windows, no beeping stuff, no idiot lights, nothing much to go wrong. Handles good. Very good value for the money, I buy them cash. Very cheap to insure. Will probably run it for 60K, maybe get another. Comfortable, fair storage for two persons on longer trips, can put the back seat down for big stuff, hauls a good load for the size car. Sort of like the old Omni's I had, only far more reliable. Basically you get what you pay for.

Cons:

Hate the fact the aux electrical power is off, when the key is off. I want to use a solar panel to always keep the battery at max peak charge, makes them last a lot longer. 4th gear is sort of useless, I usually go 3th to 5th. Probably will total out in any sort of accident but most modern cars will do that. Is nimble enough to avoid many accidents if you are a good driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion