Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 04:15 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,905,478 times

Advertisements

My friend (a mechanic) diagnosed my car with a leaking/seeping Water Pump. Water Pump is still under warranty. Brought it to Glenn Toyota today in Fair Lawn.
First time they called me they said it’s normal for the pump to seep under pressure through the seep whole. Also said leak is too small to justify to get reimbursed from Toyota Corp.

2nd time I talked to them they said Mechanic said shows no signs of coolant leakage.

3rd time I had a conference call with them and my mechanic friend and they offered to have a regional tech take a look at the pump. But I don’t trust them. What do you think?

I am definitely losing coolant (small leak). No signs from the radiator and my friend showed me the white corrosion from coolant around water pumps bolts. Car only has 47K miles and I read many threads on Toyota Nation about this Gen Camry has terrible Water Pumps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,922 times
So... how is a 6 year old car still under warranty? Do you have some sort of extended plan?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:56 PM

I bought it Certified Pre-Owned. 7 year from original purchase or 100K miles. I have 47K miles, but a little over 1 year left on the time factor.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,922 times
AH. I see. Water pumps are not supposed to seep water. They are designed to seep water out the weep hole when they begin to fail as a warning that they need replacing. It's never normal operation for them to leak.

I'd keep an eye on it.

Good luck with the Toyota folks.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:13 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,170,887 times
They actually tried to convince your a seeping pump is normal?

Uh, no. Take it down the street to the next dealership. You may also want to do some research to see if this is a common issue with your year/make/model. If it is, there may be a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) you could reference.

I sincerely doubt fighting with the same dealership is going to get you anywhere.

Mike

Old 12-13-2011, 07:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
Quote:
white corrosion from coolant around water pumps bolts
I think this is how Toyota is going to come at you, the pump is covered but is not leaking, the gaskets are leaking and the coolant is migrating out via the bolts. Gaskets are not on the list of items covered by their warranty on PreCertified cars. But I hope they fix it for you regardless.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Keep at it, and eventually you should get them to fix it. If the factory will not reimburse them then the dealer you bought it from should absorb the cost. You can contact the factory people yourself. Small leaks turn into big leaks, and it may be questionable whether they would cover a fried engine if it overheated badly. Believe it or not, it can also help to write to the sales manager at the local radio/TV station where the dealership advertises. make sure to tell them you are a loyal listener.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
There is no reason why that would not be covered under your extended warranty assuming that you have an actual Toyota extended warranty, which it sounds like you do. If this dealer isn't willing to play then I would take it to another one. Even if it was the gasket that they said was the issue, the repair is to still replace the pump, which is under warranty.

What they are going off of is that a little bit of seepage is normal as long as it is not causing noticable coolant loss. A dealer who cared would fight to get it fixed under warranty, but they may be getting some pushback since it may not be "failing to Toyota standards of failure".

Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
There is no reason why that would not be covered under your extended warranty assuming that you have an actual Toyota extended warranty, which it sounds like you do. If this dealer isn't willing to play then I would take it to another one. Even if it was the gasket that they said was the issue, the repair is to still replace the pump, which is under warranty.

What they are going off of is that a little bit of seepage is normal as long as it is not causing noticable coolant loss. A dealer who cared would fight to get it fixed under warranty, but they may be getting some pushback since it may not be "failing to Toyota standards of failure".
I don't have an extended warranty. I bought it certified Pre-Owned and the Water Pump is covered under the Power Train warranty, which is good 100K or 7 years from original date of purchase. They weren't questions my warranty at all. Believe me if I wasn't covered under warranty they would have been glad to replace it and charge me an arm & a leg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion