Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 AM

100 posts, read 339,615 times

Advertisements

and I can't understand why everyone just assumes that healthcare jobs are abundant everywhere, in spite of the economy. Check out the websites for Mercy Health Partners Ohio and Promedica, the two main employers of nurses in NW Ohio. It is crazy. I am an RN with an excellent work history who took a few years off to stay home with my kids and holy cow, where did all the nursing jobs go? Even the big hospitals only advertise a few positions, and then they are either totally specialized to the point where few qualify or they are crappy hours, i.e. weekend incentive positions where you only work on the weekend, three weekends out of four. When I graduated from nursing school 19 years ago, every hospital in Toledo was hiring and begging us to come work for them.

The times they have changed. It's very sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 PM

914 posts, read 1,990,848 times
Come to Kentucky! I just graduated medical school in Ohio and will be starting my residency in Kentucky. My wife is a nurse, and she was offered two jobs (both great jobs for different reasons) very quickly. She interviewed for both jobs a couple weeks after applying, was offered the jobs 3 or 4 days later and accepted one of the jobs soon after. She will be making about $4 more per hour for the same number of hours but fewer weekends, and the benefits are much better. She pays roughly $20-25 a month for great health insurance, access to a health club for $12.50/month, matching retirement after a year, among other benefits. Also, there are no nursing unions here, so there are NO UNION DUES (roughly $20 every two weeks).

Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,421,062 times
davidafan, I'd have to imagine that your case is unique. Here in Cleveland, they can't get enough nurses(and in most other parts of the country). I can't speak for Toledo the situation in Toledo. All that aside, I do find it odd that you sought out an Ohio forum just to complain about the fact that you don't have a job.

How long ago was "A few years" back when you took time off the job? I mean, don't most hospitals give maternity leave pretty willingly?

Old 06-22-2009, 12:10 PM

374 posts, read 1,127,053 times
I can understand your situation, I have a friend in nursing school right now in Toledo. Im pretty sure this may be a concern to her as well. However, the medical field is still one of the top employers not just in Toledo, but in the country. Right now it is pretty tough finding any employment in the city of Toledo. Truthfully one of the best places to find employment in Toledo are at call centers. Also, is relocating an option for you? I know personally that Chicago has alot of positions available in the medical field. My brother just landed a job making $20 an hour as a counselor at one of the local mental hospitals in the city. As far as anywhere else in the state of Ohio, Im not sure someone else from either Columbus or Cincinnati may want to comment on where they reside. How is the employment situation holding out in other Ohio cities as far as finding employment in the medical field?

Old 06-22-2009, 01:35 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,649,528 times
Don't go to Kentucky!

Alot of people try to praise Kentucky on their forum and bash Ohio, when in reality, Ohio is a much more livable state, we have less poverty than the terrible conditions of Eastern Kentucky, we have bigger cities with more diverse economies. Kentucky and Ohio's unemployment rates are about the same. Louisville's is higher than Columbus, Cleveland and Cincy.

For instance, development, Cincinnati is really doing well for itself. Louisville and Lexington both once had construction plans for their tallest buildings, both are down the drain now, while Cincinnati is building its tallest right now, building a multi billion dollar mixed use project on its central riverfront, and its new Cincinnati Riverfront Park.

Anyway, there is the world renowed Cleveland Clinic, Columbus and Cincinnati both have execellent rated hospitals, and their medical fields are doing well. Even in Youngstown, I went down, and in the office park Southwoods Commons, there were two new 4 story doctors offices being built, not to mention the new hospital that was built in Boardman on Market Street.

Ohio has a very good and diverse medical field, just like any job though, you have to go out and do research.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:35 AM

78 posts, read 354,271 times
Agree...used to be one of the prime industries here...might explain the 10,000 Rite Aids and Wahlgreens on every street corner...

In fact, not many people can find a job here....at least a job that's able to support your family.

Best advice, move out of Toledo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo