Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 10:50 AM

216 posts, read 935,760 times

Advertisements

Longview's economic vitality earns top 50 spot on Wall Street Journal list
By MIKE ELSWICK (Longview News-Journal)

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Longview's inclusion in a list of the top metropolitan areas for economic vitality offers validation the city is doing lots of things right, a local economic official said.

John Stroud, executive director of the Longview Economic Development Corp., said the ranking should carry lots of weight with national decision makers.

Longview was ranked No. 45 out of 379 metropolitan areas in the nation in a listing in Monday's Wall Street Journal. It was one of five Texas metropolitan areas to rank in the top 50 for economic vitality based on criteria developed by Moody's Economy.com, the Journal reported.

Moderator cut: copyrighted material

Longview's economic vitality earns top 50 spot on Wall Street Journal list (broken link)

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-13-2007 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Please post links only; no copyrighted materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 19,382 times
Yeah, Longview!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 03:28 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,782,099 times
I've always wondered about polls, surveys, etc. Just exactly how do you get on the list and in what order. I can't say for sure, but I have my suspicions a lot of these "surveys" are played out according to just how much money is "donated".

I contend this practice is played out in all aspects of our society. Ever wonder about those magazines whose front cover displays the picture of a dentist, i.e., with the caption, "voted the most outstanding dentist in the metroplex for 2006"? How about the trade magazines which are made up of articles on the different manufacturers and filled with ads from the dealers. Ever wonder about the full page picture of a certain dealer, be it an automobile dealer, a tractor dealer, and the list can go on, that is displayed on the entire front cover of a magazine with the large caption, voted the best (automobile, tractor, motorcycle, etc) dealership in the metroplex for the year (fill inthe blank) This can be applied to dentists, doctors, furniture dealers and I guess to anybody who wanted to shell out big bucks for it. I guess I could buy the front cover of a magazine and paste my picture on it with the caption, voted best citizen of 2007 in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

Exactly who votes??

Think cities are any different than private enterprise? They have their advertising budgets too. Some have more money to play with than others. All in all, it amounts to this, we're the best, come do your business with us, spend your money with us, help us grow so we can get even more money. I think it boils down to that age old answer, MONEY, the answer to everything, well not quite.

I'm just saying, I've always wondered. I've always wondered about other issues that come up, say schools bonds for example. Everybody in town with an exception of a handful of people are against it, yet it passes. It is starting to be a joke, no one vote at all, and let's see how many votes "they" tell us it passed by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: