Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:31 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times

Advertisements

You've got a thread about "Dallas" the TV show on the Dallas forum. I posted about SF ranch actually being in Parker. I would suggest it as I think you might be able to find something there, but the property taxes are relatively low, but there's also no retail or commercial development to offset the burden on the property owners - everything is funded through residential property taxes. And there's little infrastructure. One small park, and the majority of the city is on septic. Which might be perfectly cool with you. It's just something I thought I should point out.

Now for slightly more in taxes, you can look just south of there to Murphy. Lots of parks, sewer system, schools in town, retail development, commercial development, a gas station or four. And all with the same small town feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 PM

65 posts, read 179,642 times
If you want acreage and still want to be within 30 minutes of the heart of the city, you're pretty much stuck with Austin or San Antonio. Houston & Dallas are too giant to have acreage and still have convenient amenities. However NW San Antonio offers lots of large acreage lots and you're 10-15 minutes from the amenities of Stone Oak, and NW Austin is very similar in that respect.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good_eating View Post
How built up are the suburbs of Dallas or Houston?

Are there any areas where a house can be built on a large lot, at least 1.5 acres? Is there cheap land, good land?

I like being close to a bigger city for the shopping (Neiman Marcus, Nordstorm, Gucci), and I like being near very good restaurants.

I do not like living in big cities because of the population density. I do not like traffic where every car is stop and go. I do not like pollution, be it air pollution or noise pollution.

This is why I think the perfect place for me is half an hour to an hour away from a big city. Close enough where I can drive into town when I want to buy something, but far enough away where I have outdoor space for lots of trees and a big garden, and not so close where I can hear my neighbors like I can in a townhouse.

Easy. Fort Worth.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:08 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
You can get an acre and half lot with a nice home IN Fort Worth for 200,000? From what I've seen you can't even get the land and home for that in the suburbs of Fort Worth? Too much growth, too many people, and you won't get that small town "feel" in many of the responses. Most people don't spend much time with their neighbors in most of the areas responded too here.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:27 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Somehow the original post doesn't make much sense to me. The OP has a $200K house budget but likes to shop at Niemans and Nordstrom? Such a home is in the middle range for most areas of Texas near the big cities. And most of those homeowners are not Nieman Marcus shoppers.

Or is $200K the budget for the land?

As for property taxes, in most areas of Texas property taxes will range from 1.8% to 3% of the appraised value. Normally your taxes will be lower when you are outside the city limits.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,616 times
There are plenty of properties in the Dallas area that would offer what you want. The tax rates in the Dallas are total about $.02.4 per $100 (some variation depending on whether you are in Dallas, Denton or Collin County, but all close to the same), so for a $200K home, you might pay $4,800 in taxes annually or, for a $150K home, closer $3,600. That may sound high, but remember, we have no state income tax in Texas! I'm a realtor, so just looked and found a house built in 1992, 1.5 acres, 1900 square feet, 3/2/2, lots of hardwoods, big cozy porch, $185,000. This house is 22 miles (25 minutes) from Willow Bend Mall (with Neimans) or 15 miles (19 minutes) from Stonebriar Mall (with Nordstroms). I am not certan what you are looking for in a home. There are plenty more houses with acreage like this one. If you need my help finding a home in the Dallas area, let me know. I'm with Keller Williams Preston.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,616 times
Have to write again! Just found a beautiful home built in 2001 with 2700 square feet on 1.6 acres for only $180K. This has been significantly reduced from the original price. 23 miles to Stonebriar Mall. Yes, there are plenty of homes to meet your acreage desires.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,653 times
Yes there is! I live in Brazoria Texas just a quick drive from hwy 288 and in 45 min to an hour I am in Houston for all the shopping I need! I hate that we have to move to Austin area. We have our house in Brazoria on the market built in 2004 all brick. Custom built 4866 SqFt 3 bedroom 2.5 bath, granite countertops and all hardwood floors all on 2.69 acres with a beautiful pond. Oh did I mention there is also a 2450 SqFt brick building with restroom that can be turned into a guest house or leave as is and run your own business with great hwy exposure. The schools are great! We hate to leave but my husband was relocated and so we must join him. We are selling all this at more than $100,000 below tax appraisal so we can leave fast. Asking price is $350,000. Cost more than $500,000 to build. We will truly miss it! Taxes are $4000 a year.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:31 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Hey! I used to live in Brazoria It's not so far away you can't visit from time to time.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 AM

49 posts, read 386,077 times
Near Dallas, you might consider the suburban areas of Parker or Allen/Fairview. As I recall, there are some pretty large lots around those areas, and it feels more like the country.

Parker is close to where Southfork Ranch is (from Dallas TV series fame).

In Allen, there is a pretty good outlet mall (they have a Neiman Marcus Last Call) so you will be close to shopping even if you don't want to go to the city center. Fairview is right next to Allen and is known for large lots.

Last, these areas are districted into really good public schools (Parker in Plano East High School; Allen into Allen High School) so that's an added benefit for families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas