Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 12:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times

Advertisements

I guess i have to admit that Dallas holds its own, but it still ain't Houston.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I guess i have to admit that Dallas holds its own, but it still ain't Houston.
Dallas is about average. It is what you expect from a city of its size. Houston I think punches above its weight.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,954,100 times
Here's the new Parkland Hospital dominating the Medical District skyline

Old 07-26-2013, 01:35 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Dallas is about average. It is what you expect from a city of its size. Houston I think punches above its weight.
You sayin all this now but you was in aww when you lived here everyday...

Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
You sayin all this now but you was in aww when you lived here everyday...
No I wasn't.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:57 PM

This new high-rise will add even more density to Uptown

High-rise residential project planned for Dallas

Quote:
One of the last vacant development sites on Dallas’ popular Katy Trail will be the location of a new high-rise residential building.

Developer JLB Partners is teaming up with Sammons Enterprises to build the 18-story, 299-unit apartment tower at Cedar Springs Road and Carlisle Street. The prominent Uptown property was previously planned for a St. Regis Hotel tower. JLB acquired the 2.3-acre tract after it went through foreclosure during the recession.

“This isn’t the kind of dirt that an apartment builder gets to play on very often,” said JLB chief executive Bay Miltenberger. “This is the best location we have built on in Dallas for sure — maybe nationwide. “The site warrants a very nice building.”

GDA Architects designed the brick and glass rental home community, with a seven-story building taking up most of the vacant corner. “And we will have 86 units in the tower above that,” Miltenberger said.

The tower will have a private penthouse lounge. And the mid-rise portion of the project includes a roof deck pool with views of downtown Dallas.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:11 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:
No I wasn't.
Don't make me go find them post's you posted back then.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Don't make me go find them post's you posted back then.
Can't wait to see them.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,567,158 times
Quote:
completely agree.

Houston continues to pull ahead in this race while Dallas develops at about the same pace as Uptown (Houston).. there may be a third 700+ footer rising in downtown Houston in the near future. the 41 story, 725+ foot International Tower at Market Square may be farther along than previously thought. they have taken soil samples on the site in preparation for planning the foundation of the tower. (the other two 700+ foot buildings of course being the 757' Hines Main Street tower thats supposed to start the first quarter of next year, and the ~800' Chevron tower).

heres a quote from the article.

Moving forward

Developers planning an office tower on the northern end of downtown haven't put shovels in the ground yet, but some recently patched holes on the site reveal the group is moving forward with its proposal.

The holes were part of a geotechnical study on the land.

Before any tall building is constructed, holes are drilled into the ground to collect soil samples that provide guidance for designing the foundation.

The site is next to Market Square Park and is bordered by Preston, Prairie, Milam and Travis.

Civil engineer Edward Ulrich, whose firm conducted the geotechnical study, compares the different components of engineering a skyscraper to the human body.

"The architect designs the skin. The structural engineer designs the bones. The mechanical engineer designs the circulation. My job as a foundation engineer is to design your feet," said Ulrich, of Houston-based Ulrich Engineers.

The proposed tower would be developed by Essex Commercial Properties, the real estate firm affiliated with general contracting firm Linbeck Group, and Stream Realty Partners.

Essex president Eugene Lee said the developers are exploring ideas that would enhance the area's pedestrian and retail environment.

"We're hoping we can be an additional catalyst around Market Square Park," he said.

A start date has not been set for the project, which could have 750,000 square feet.

you may have to copy and paste the link into Google search, then click on the link in the search results to read the full article.
Project aims at ultra-rich wanting to live smaller - Houston Chronicle

Old 07-26-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
completely agree.

Houston continues to pull ahead in this race while Dallas develops at about the same pace as Uptown (Houston).. there may be a third 700+ footer rising in downtown Houston in the near future. the 41 story, 725+ foot International Tower at Market Square may be farther along than previously thought. they have taken soil samples on the site in preparation for planning the foundation of the tower. (the other two 700+ foot buildings of course being the 757' Hines Main Street tower thats supposed to start the first quarter of next year, and the ~800' Chevron tower).

heres a quote from the article.

Moving forward

Developers planning an office tower on the northern end of downtown haven't put shovels in the ground yet, but some recently patched holes on the site reveal the group is moving forward with its proposal.

The holes were part of a geotechnical study on the land.

Before any tall building is constructed, holes are drilled into the ground to collect soil samples that provide guidance for designing the foundation.

The site is next to Market Square Park and is bordered by Preston, Prairie, Milam and Travis.

Civil engineer Edward Ulrich, whose firm conducted the geotechnical study, compares the different components of engineering a skyscraper to the human body.

"The architect designs the skin. The structural engineer designs the bones. The mechanical engineer designs the circulation. My job as a foundation engineer is to design your feet," said Ulrich, of Houston-based Ulrich Engineers.

The proposed tower would be developed by Essex Commercial Properties, the real estate firm affiliated with general contracting firm Linbeck Group, and Stream Realty Partners.

Essex president Eugene Lee said the developers are exploring ideas that would enhance the area's pedestrian and retail environment.

"We're hoping we can be an additional catalyst around Market Square Park," he said.

A start date has not been set for the project, which could have 750,000 square feet.

you may have to copy and paste the link into Google search, then click on the link in the search results to read the full article.
Project aims at ultra-rich wanting to live smaller - Houston Chronicle
At the end of the day, those buildings would do nothing to help the pedestrian activity if it isn't vibrant at street level. Honestly, I would rather have a decent skyline that's vibrant on street level than one that's humongous and completely dead at street level.

You never hear people talk about how vibrant Houston's Downtown area is. Yes, they may say Houston's skyline is awesome but what's that gonna do for me when I'm a visitor trying to find something to do? I know Dallas has a long way to go but it's more further ahead than Houston. We are making a lot of steps to make our Downtown area more vibrant and so far it's working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas