Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 05:59 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
Dude what's your fascination with L.A.? Houston can fashion it's city after L.A. all it wants. Who cares, Dallas is just Dallas.
Houston hasn't fashioned its skyline or city after any other place. That's just ridiculous. In fact, Houston is quite possibly one of the most unique cities in America due to its lack of zoning regulations where almost anything goes. Both Dallas & LA have zoning preventing them from building anything taller than 550' outside of their CBD's. In Houston, there are 500-900 footers everywhere around the city to the point of confusing outsiders where the real Downtown Houston is.

Houston's skyline shape, height, & architecture being similar to LA's is just a coincidence kinda like how NYC & Chicago's skylines are both similar.

You're right, Dallas is just Dallas wanting to be Vegas & NYC.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-12-2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 PM

286 posts, read 407,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston hasn't fashioned its skyline or city after any other place. That's just ridiculous. In fact, Houston is quite possibly one of the most unique cities in America due to its lack of zoning regulations where almost anything goes. Both Dallas & LA have zoning preventing them from building anything taller than 550' outside of their downtowns. In Houston, there are 500+ footers everywhere around the city.

Houston's skyline shape, height, & architecture being similar to LA's is just a coincidence kinda like how NYC & Chicago's skylines are both similar.
So I don't get it. You just said that Houston is just like LA., in every way shape and form. Make up yor mind. One day Houston is like NYC, the next it's like L.A. One day Houston is like Chicago, the next it is like Paris. A schizophrenic bunch pray tell.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,791,422 times
Quote:
Houston hasn't fashioned its skyline or city after any other place. That's just ridiculous. In fact, Houston is quite possibly one of the most unique cities in America due to its lack of zoning regulations where almost anything goes. Both Dallas & LA have zoning preventing them from building anything taller than 550' outside of their CBD's. In Houston, there are 500+ footers everywhere around the city to the point of confusing outsiders where the real Downtown Houston is.

Metro your posts are contradicting. You just stated Dallas is not like LA, not more than Houston anyways because Houston is LA's closest city in the US. Now Houston is not like LA because of zoning and height restrictions and is LA is more like Dallas now?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Metro your posts are contradicting. You just stated Dallas is not like LA, not more than Houston anyways because Houston is LA's closest city in the US. Now Houston is not like LA because of zoning and height restrictions and is more like Dallas now?
Houston is a mish mash of LA, New Orleans, & Atlanta.

Dallas is an over grown OKC.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Metro your posts are contradicting. You just stated Dallas is not like LA, not more than Houston anyways because Houston is LA's closest city in the US. Now Houston is not like LA because of zoning and height restrictions and is LA is more like Dallas now?
That dude confuses the heck out of me.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro matt View Post
houston is a mish mash of la, new orleans, & atlanta.

dallas is an over grown okc.
lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo

My point. Houston boosters slay me. I thought you just said Houston is unique?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:

And dude stop lying. I used to be stationed at Tinker AFB. What part of OKC reminds you of Dallas? Mid West City? Del City?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:

That's the problem though alot of these cities are the complete opposite. New York and LA (besides being the two biggest metros in the same country) are the complete opposite of each other. You can't be one and be the other at the same time.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
And dude stop lying. I used to be stationed at Tinker AFB. What part of OKC reminds you of Dallas? Mid West City? Del City?
Insert any Great Plains city & it will resemble Dallas...OKC, Kansas City, Omaha, it doesn't matter. They all look the same to me just smaller versions.

Houston on the other hand is a warm coastal city. It could be LA, New Orleans, or even a very large Tampa. My aunt, who lived in SF for many years even told me parts of Houston reminded her of there. I thought that was a bit awkward because I don't see it. Maybe it was all the palm trees & quirky neighborhoods around Montrose that gave her that impression who knows.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-12-2013 at 06:40 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Insert any Great Plains city & it resembles Dallas.

Houston on the other hand is a coastal city.
We don't play by that game here. We are not OKC, Chicago, LA, or any other city. Be it coastal or plains. We have our own identity...just ask Karl Lagerfeld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas