Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 12:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Yup, all it is is a zoom, no trick to it. Here is an example posted by BCB by Justin Terveen a few pages back. In this picture you can see Fort Worth to the right of the bridge. If you can see Fort Worth from Dallas then it's no surprise if you can see Dallas from Fort Worth.
Uh, the trick would be the zoom.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:15 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Uh, the trick would be the zoom.
Yes they zoomed in to take these pictures. But zoom does not equal photoshop like you were claiming.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:22 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,543 times
Since when was zoom artificial? It's amazing how desperate some are to discredit others.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:35 PM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Since when was zoom artificial? It's amazing how desperate some are to discredit others.
They just wanted to know why it was so clear and detailed. It does not look like that in person without using something to zoom in on it. You can zoom in on any skyline from miles 30 miles away as long as there are no geographical obstacles in the way. The answer for them should have been obvious though.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:49 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
They just wanted to know why it was so clear and detailed. It does not look like that in person without using something to zoom in on it. You can zoom in on any skyline from miles 30 miles away as long as there are no geographical obstacles in the way. The answer for them should have been obvious though.
Yeah but as any amateur astronomer knows, when you're peering through enough atmosphere, it diffracts some of the light and the picture starts to get blurry when zoomed in. That's why it's best to look at objects overhead rather than just above the horizon. Maybe this is what they're referring to. (Though maybe I'm giving them too much credit.) I'm not doubting the picture myself, but I am somewhat surprised that it's as sharp as it is considering how much air is in the way and that the air here isn't very clean. I'm guessing he has a hell of a lens and it was a particularly clear day.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:01 PM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Yeah but as any amateur astronomer knows, when you're peering through enough atmosphere, it diffracts some of the light and the picture starts to get blurry when zoomed in. That's why it's best to look at objects overhead rather than just above the horizon. Maybe this is what they're referring to. (Though maybe I'm giving them too much credit.) I'm not doubting the picture myself, but I am somewhat surprised that it's as sharp as it is considering how much air is in the way and that the air here isn't very clean. I'm guessing he has a hell of a lens and it was a particularly clear day.
Just a good enough quality camera with the right conditions and the sun being hindered. Many posters here probably go to skyscraperpage/city so I am not sure why the picture would be questioned. Most of us here have seen many skyline pics from around the world.

Last edited by xsatyr; 09-28-2013 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 06:08 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
He obviously has a very nice lense/camera. As they noted, ft worth is hillier than Dallas and higher up. When i was at the observation deck of JP Morgan one clear day you could see a large industrial plant on the horizon to the south/southwest that is supposably around Sweeney, like 50 miles away. Just as you can see downtown from virtually every overpass outside of the city but can't see it very we'll when your on the flat ground

Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
Just a good enough quality camera with the right conditions and the sun being hindered. Many posters here probably go to skyscraperpage/city so I am not sure why the picture would be questioned. Most of us here have seen many skyline pics from around the world.
With emphasis on the conditions... I doubt my 8" light bucket could resolve that much detail on an average day. If I'm ever able to take it up into one of those skyscrapers, I'll find out.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:11 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
But how do you zero in on downtown while still keeping the foreground in the frame? He has as much detail below him as he does 30 miles away. I didn't know cameras could do that.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
But how do you zero in on downtown while still keeping the foreground in the frame? He has as much detail below him as he does 30 miles away. I didn't know cameras could do that.
I'm guessing it's all so far away the focus is insignificant, just like how you don't need to refocus if you pan from Jupiter to the Pinwheel Galaxy even though the latter is millions of times as far away. The focus is inversely proportional to the distance of the object and eventually everything is so close to 0, they're all well-enough in focus at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas