Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 PM

216 posts, read 698,305 times

Advertisements

..i had heard there is an active participation of the KKK in vidor...so much that recruits try to get people to join on the on ramp/ off ramp of the hi ways...i would like to hear if it is true...also....why???

Old 07-29-2009, 05:56 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiemack View Post
..i had heard there is an active participation of the KKK in vidor...so much that recruits try to get people to join on the on ramp/ off ramp of the hi ways...i would like to hear if it is true...also....why???
I think you can sign up too at the local Kroeger's market.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:38 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Most people in Houston probably wouldn't know this? The town is just as far from Houston as College Station (95 miles), so most people do not leisurely pass through every day, and intimately know what's going on. This thread belongs on the Texas forum.

Anyway, I work in the area and have only passed through Vidor a few times on I-10, but have never once seen what you are talking about. (Is this something just out of CNN??) If it's happening it's likely as covert as a drug deal. I can say there is no shortage of blue-collar, white males with clean shaven heads in this town. You can ask a lifelong native of the Beaumont-Port Arthur metro and he/she will tell you everything about all the little white 'bedroom' towns in the area. However, it is apparent Vidor still has a bad rep among some of the locals.

The two metros (Houston + Beaumont-Port Arthur) make up "Southeast Texas," but traveling from one place to the other you pass over a pretty distinct cultural boundary. I've heard it said many times here that Houston = 'Texas' and the Golden Triangle = 'The South'.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:13 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
I lived in the golden triangle and there are some racist elements present. However they do not 'recruit' on the freeway exits or supermarkets etc. If thats something you want to be involved with I'm sure you can find it. Vidor used to be home of the KKK, and there is still a presence. Most black folks choose not to live there. They tried integrating in the 90s (yes 90s) and it was short lived. The Vidorians I met were good people, and the actions of a few shouldn't paint a community.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:49 AM

279 posts, read 724,674 times
The younger folks I've met from Vidor are pretty embarassed about their community's reputation.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiemack View Post
I have no idea, but where exactly is Vidor? Isn't it near the Louisiana border?

You'd be better off asking in the general Texas forum.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM

809 posts, read 3,569,575 times
I had to google Vidor to see where it is. I had never heard of it, though I'm sure I've passed through the couple of times I've driven to Louisiana.

It's East of Beaumont. Like TStone said, it's over 90 miles from Houston and not a place most people in Houston are probably familar with.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:06 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeb View Post
The younger folks I've met from Vidor are pretty embarassed about their community's reputation.

It's no coincedence most of the younger folks w/ 4-yr degrees not from Lamar University hightail it out of the Golden Triangle and never look back. Though I do hear it's a good place for hotshot lawyers, rumored to be as big of a lawsuit hotbed as the Rio Grande Valley.

Anyway, just thumb through this C-D website for stats on towns like Vidor, Groves, Port Neches, Nederland, etc. Look at the most common industries, education levels, ethnic makeups, etc and then look at the principal towns of Beaumont, Port Arthur and Orange. Those stats by themselves speak volumes.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:26 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It's no coincedence most of the younger folks w/ 4-yr degrees not from Lamar University hightail it out of the Golden Triangle and never look back. Though I do hear it's a good place for hotshot lawyers, rumored to be as big of a lawsuit hotbed as the Rio Grande Valley.

Anyway, just thumb through this C-D website for stats on towns like Vidor, Groves, Port Neches, Nederland, etc. Look at the most common industries, education levels, ethnic makeups, etc and then look at the principal towns of Beaumont, Port Arthur and Orange. Those stats by themselves speak volumes.
You are correct, when I lived there, Jefferson and Orange county were two of the most favored counties in the country to have a trial by the trial lawyers association. I think its where the asbestos suits were settled. It was very difficult to get a jury of 12 that didnt have some background to working in a 'plant' environment. Now to diversify the industries they have added Prisons to go along with Ports and Petrochemicals.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I have no idea, but where exactly is Vidor? Isn't it near the Louisiana border?

You'd be better off asking in the general Texas forum.
Nothing is literally there. I pass it all the time on I-10 going to Florida. There was a story about the place on 20/20 back in the 90s. It's on youtube. I bet most of the younger population is pretty much embarrassed by their reputation. does not surprise me one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas