Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 PM

52 posts, read 141,038 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been doing some research on University of Texas for graduate studies. I am planning to pursue an MBA/JD. I been hearing that UT is an excellent school and many famous politians and businessmen have graduated from this school.

On the other hand, I heard some negative feedback regarding racisim against minorities. I am a minority myself, although I get along with everyone with different races, I am a little concerned about this. Is race relations down there that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:17 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,604,115 times
Race relations are not that bad at all. UT is incredibly diverse and there isn't any discrimination against minorities in the slightest. I'm guessing whoever told you otherwise has very little experience with UT. A lot of minorities tend to self-segregate, especially in the undergrad levels, but this isn't the norm and people of all races are welcomed at UT.

Also know that getting into the Business School and the Law School are both incredibly difficult. You need top notch scores and grades to get in.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:53 AM

4,726 posts, read 12,005,908 times
I absolutely agree in its entirety with loneranger's post. I would have given him rep points but the forum programme won't allow me to do so (I have to "spread some around" first -- a feature I really dislike about City-Data).

Old 07-09-2009, 10:02 AM

593 posts, read 1,381,488 times
Bump, both.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,064,062 times
Not much racism, you can find some anywhere, we all know that. Yes, it is a great school. I happen to not be a fan, but who cares, it is still a great school.

Nita

Old 07-09-2009, 12:52 PM

634 posts, read 1,450,988 times
As a graduate of UT Austin I can say that I feel the place is thoroughly overrated. It's far too big and its reach in terms of prestige or placement is decidedly regional. I'm a biracial woman (African American father and Mexican American mother) who has never really felt comfortable in Austin. It's pretty white here. Austin's "diversity" has more to do with tech types hanging out with tattooed types . . . otherwise, there's not much in the way of intermingling. A previous poster mentioned something about minorities "self-segretating." Well, I don't see many white people hankering to have their kids moved from West Austin to attend schools in East Austin. Just attend a First Thursday or head down to 6th street and you'll see a predominantly white, hipster, or upper-middle class crowd.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM

15,289 posts, read 35,743,352 times
The number of AAs in Austin is pretty low, and even lower at UT. So although there is not necessarily much racism (definitely less than a lot of places, perhaps), you will very definiely be a minority if you are AA. There are a lot of different people represented, though - asian, european, hispanic, you name it. There is a club for everything - my roomate was in the 'Slavic students' club or something - but I am not sure that is really segregating. Classes and dorms are in no way segregated, and generic clubs (like the scuba club when I was there) were filled with all sorts.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The number of AAs in Austin is pretty low, and even lower at UT. So although there is not necessarily much racism (definitely less than a lot of places, perhaps), you will very definiely be a minority if you are AA. There are a lot of different people represented, though - asian, european, hispanic, you name it. There is a club for everything - my roomate was in the 'Slavic students' club or something - but I am not sure that is really segregating. Classes and dorms are in no way segregated, and generic clubs (like the scuba club when I was there) were filled with all sorts.
Currently it's 55% white, 20% Hispanic, 20% Asian, and 5% black--overall one of the most diverse universities in the country.

Whites are slightly overrepresented and Asians are very overrepresented when compared to Texas as a whole, but overall the university is a very great representation of the state, thanks in no small part to the Top Ten percent law.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM

4,726 posts, read 12,005,908 times
Also, the University is big if you are an undergrad, but obviously significantly smaller and more personal in its many postgraduate programmes. The UT-Austin JD does have a great deal of cache in Texas, but I doubt it's anything to sneeze at elsewhere in the country -- it's not Harvard or Princeton, of course. Same can be said for the MBA. I am supposing that the OP is referring to some joint JD-MBA programme the UT may now have. Without such a coordinated 2-degree programme I can't imagine how one could do the two courses simultaneously.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Also, the University is big if you are an undergrad, but obviously significantly smaller and more personal in its many postgraduate programmes. The UT-Austin JD does have a great deal of cache in Texas, but I doubt it's anything to sneeze at elsewhere in the country -- it's not Harvard or Princeton, of course. Same can be said for the MBA. I am supposing that the OP is referring to some joint JD-MBA programme the UT may now have. Without such a coordinated 2-degree programme I can't imagine how one could do the two courses simultaneously.
There is a joint program IIRC.

The MBA program at UT is top ten nationally IIRC, and the Law School is top twenty. Both have national recruitment and are the very top dawg in recruitment in Dallas and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas