Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:52 PM

105 posts, read 494,137 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to find graduates from Texas State University, in particular grads from TSU's business program. Right now, I'm deciding which business school to attend (I have it narrowed down to Texas Tech, UTEP, UT Dallas, and TSU) for a BBA in finance, but I'm having a hard time finding folks who went through the business program.

Does anyone know if the school has a challenging curriculum, if the new facilities are good enough, and if employers often recruit grads from the university often?

Also, how's the local town of San Marcos? In particular--does anyone know of decent, clean, quiet places to rent there while one attends TSU? (I've not spent a lot of time there, so I'm not sure what the apartment/rental situation is there.)

Any help and information--good or bad--is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 AM

384 posts, read 1,581,506 times
My only connection is that my brother is a new member of the engineering faculty at Texas State, so I visit him pretty often.

I can't speak for the housing situation or the business school, but I can honestly recommend San Marcos as a place. Being so close to both Austin and San Antonio is a tremendous positive.

There is a San Marcos forum at 78666.com that you might find of interest.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,438,293 times
Texas State - formerly Southwest Texas University. Known party school.

I work for a very large corporation, and when we were interviewing last year for about 8 college hire positions, we sifted through about 150 resumes'. We did NOT call in one Texas State candidate (not my call, management's instructions). We interviewed people from out of state, UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, Rice, etc. Texas State, Sam Houston, etc got thrown in the trash. (again, not my call, management just didn't consider those schools).

Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 AM

152 posts, read 673,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
Texas State - formerly Southwest Texas University. Known party school.

I work for a very large corporation, and when we were interviewing last year for about 8 college hire positions, we sifted through about 150 resumes'. We did NOT call in one Texas State candidate (not my call, management's instructions). We interviewed people from out of state, UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, Rice, etc. Texas State, Sam Houston, etc got thrown in the trash. (again, not my call, management just didn't consider those schools).

Not very smart management in my opinion then. I certainly wouldn't make a school decision based on how the above company hires. It sounds like that management just didn't want anybody from a Texas school.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyinSanAntonio View Post
Not very smart management in my opinion then. I certainly wouldn't make a school decision based on how the above company hires. It sounds like that management just didn't want anybody from a Texas school.

Well, A&M, UT, Tech, Baylor and Rice ARE Texas schools.

This practice with tossing resumes out from Texas State, SHSU, and SFA is more common than you think. Mediocre schools compared to the ones listed above.

San Marcos is a great place to be during your college years if you want to drink a lot of beer and smoke a lot of weed. Just ask any student, or anyone like me who visited there during college on the occasional weekend.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Well, A&M, UT, Tech, Baylor and Rice ARE Texas schools.

This practice with tossing resumes out from Texas State, SHSU, and SFA is more common than you think. Mediocre schools compared to the ones listed above.

San Marcos is a great place to be during your college years if you want to drink a lot of beer and smoke a lot of weed. Just ask any student, or anyone like me who visited there during college on the occasional weekend.

I never said that they shouldn't discount certain schools on that list, but UT, Baylor, Rice, and A&M are good schools and throwing them all out just because they are Texas schools probably isn't the sign of the best management.

And yes I agree, Texas State has been known for a very long time as a party school so I guess I couldn't fault somebody for throwing that one out

Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 AM

I might have misread what he was saying, but I read it such that UT, A&M, Rice etc they interviewed, but they threw out the Texas State and SHSU resumes.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
We interviewed people from out of state, UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, Rice, etc. Texas State, Sam Houston, etc got thrown in the trash.

This is the part I was talking about. I know those other schools are Texas schools

Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 AM

I read that period after the "etc" to end one sentence describing where they interviewed from. "Texas State" began another.

Supermac, please clarify.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
I know a man who was a housing supervisor on campus for a while and I've visited there quite a lot. It's a party school.....sitting right between Austin and San Antonio it is a connection point for drugs.....quite a lot of gang problems.....many of the students there are kids who couldn't pass the entrance exams (or who didn't want to study that hard) for UT Austin but wanted to be close to the fun that goes on there. The town itself is nice but the school is not a place I'd want to send my 18 yr old or invest my money there for his future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas