Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:03 PM

105 posts, read 494,392 times

Advertisements

I gotta say that you folks have been great in offering me advice. I think we all forget that Texas has many good schools, and that's made it harder for me to make my choice. Some folks have mentioned Texas A&M and UT-Austin, and they were the first places I looked at, but they don't really want admit people into their undergrad. programs who already have degrees (they even say so on their websites). Right now, I have a BA and master's in English, so that leaves me out. Even U-Houston has the same policy in their business program.

Texas State looked good because if its close proximity to Austin and San Antonio. UT-Dallas also looked good, not only because of its location, but because its seems to get very high marks. I've also looked at Texas Tech's energy commerce program, but I was hoping to work at least part-time while going to school, and I don't know if there are a lot of employers in that area (I'm just trying to keep my debt load at an absolute minimum).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 03:56 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,295,693 times
I spent a few years at Texas State before getting completely fed up with the place. It is a beautiful campus and San Marcos is a great town, but it really is sub-par academically. I ended up at St. Edward's University here in Austin which turned out to be the best experience of my academic career. So, if you do want to be in South Austin and get a top-notch, highly personal education, you should definitely look into St. Ed's. It's going to cost you, though.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 946,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I spent a few years at Texas State before getting completely fed up with the place. It is a beautiful campus and San Marcos is a great town, but it really is sub-par academically. I ended up at St. Edward's University here in Austin which turned out to be the best experience of my academic career. So, if you do want to be in South Austin and get a top-notch, highly personal education, you should definitely look into St. Ed's. It's going to cost you, though.
When did you attend Texas State and what did you find to be sub-par?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,685 times
I just graduated from Texas State and have to take issue with all the negative comments about Texas State. The majority of those who describe Texas State as a party school have never been here and don't know the student body or the school.

That reputation is undeserved and it's a shame that it still lingers. You can expect that any school, in any part of the world, is going to have it's fair share of party-goers. I went to Texas Christian University for a year before transferring to Texas State, and was exposed to a more prolific and energetic party scene than anything I've come across in San Marcos.

The Business School here has taken quite a shot in the arm over the past few years. They've completed the new Business building and it's top notch and very impressive. I know that the administration is almost obsessively dedicated with improving our image and have seen every aspect of this school grow by leaps and bounds.

As for the town, the cost of living here is pretty inexpensive and it's not hard to find good housing. You could easily get an upscale apartment with plenty of amenties, or find an older established complex for less. There are also a ton of local businesses with great reputations and plenty of ways to keep busy. It's a fun and vibrant city.

I know for a fact that Texas State is on it's way to becoming a powerhouse of a University in the same manner as other big Texas schools - right now they are still struggling to shake off the old mantle of 'party school' and prove their worth to all the skeptics. Unfortunately there are still uninformed individuals who are quick to judge a place they have never seen or experienced. You should visit and see for yourself that an education from TxState would be something to be proud of.

Last edited by clarient; 07-28-2008 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 07-28-2008, 07:53 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,316,394 times
Graduated from T-State, enjoyed, loved it, got a job doing well.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:49 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,806,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I read that period after the "etc" to end one sentence describing where they interviewed from. "Texas State" began another.

Supermac, please clarify.
I read it the same. Please utilize the semicolon to avoid further confusion. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 AM

384 posts, read 1,582,759 times
I know that my brother and the people he works with in engineering and science are very proud of the direction of Texas State. They've seen the "name" schools," and in some cases worked at them, yet they are drawn to Texas State, because they believe in the commitment to building their program the right way.

I wasn't familiar with Texas State before last year, but I certainly like what I've seen of it when visiting, too.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,452 times
First let me say that I have hired many people throughout the years and the "name" of the school they attended makes little to no difference. I've had bosses who were UT-A alums who might give a little more attention to their buddies but eventually it comes down to who can get the job done. If someone is so obtuse to only choose from certain schools they are on the road of failure.

Second, what college isn't a party school? Have you taken a look at Facebook lately? Its rampant.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:49 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,875,476 times
When comparing price vs quality it is a great bang for your buck school.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,341 times
It is not a party school. I has two natioanally ranked programs in its geography and education departments. Their business school is gaining a lot of national recognition. You are required to have a 3.0 to get in the school of business and my in major, international business,you need to have a 3.0 to graduate. That doesnt sound to shabby. It was one of the top party schools more than 15 years ago. Things have changed since then. Yes it is between two cities but UT is already in austin. UT is always at the top of the list of party schools but their reputation doesnt change. UT and A&M have their reputations to help them out. I have had professors who have worked at NYU, Oxford, Standford, Colorodo, and Clemson, etc. How can you honestly mearsure which school is better than another when you have professors that have taught at prestigious universities? Bottom line, these are all PH.D instructors that now what they are talking about. Unfortunetly, some schools are recognized because of the money they draw in through their athletic programs. By the way guys, EVERY COLLEGE CAMPUS IS A PARTY SCHOOL!!! When you have young boys and girls mixed with alcohol, you are going to get some parties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas