Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2006, 03:58 AM

3 posts, read 15,484 times

Advertisements

Let me introduce myself. I am 25 yrs old, self employed single male. Looking to move to Sugar Land or Houston, Texas from Florida, after visiting my friend there last week.

So far everything there seems better than Florida. Housing, People, Food cost, car insurance, even gas prices. It's amazing how expensive it is to live in Florida.

Are there anything that I should know about moving to Sugar Land Texas?

I know traffic can be pretty tough during rush hours, thats about it.

What are the pros and cons of Sugar Land ? Any advise or comment will be appericated!!

(Please excuse my writing skill!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2006, 01:20 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,617 times
Just thought I'd share with you. We also moved from FL (Tampa area) to TX (Abilene area) and we are lovin' it. I saw this show once that talked about Houston being quite different than the rest of TX. I'm not sure of how accurate that was??? I haven't had the pleasure of visiting, but hope to one day. I can say that all of our expenses are more affordable here. I'd say, with the exception of my tornado fear, I like TX better than FL. To me, people are people everywhere. There are fine people and not so - all over. I hope you find all you hope for! Texas is a wonderful place to be and we have really enjoyed being here. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,890 times
Default I love it

I have lived in Sugar Land for over a year and love it. Most things are really close. The atmosphere is beautiful. The only thing I can complain about is the high cost of homeowner's insurance but that is typical for Texas. We are set back from the coast but are still considered a hurricane risk. Which you will notice during hurricane season when some will evacuate. Personally, we moved here from Galveston and would stay unless a direct hit seemed sure and it was a Cat 5 hurricane. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:01 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Sugar Land is very nice... basically a little town with its own town square/city hall, and has a lot more regulations than Houston (no billboards, very strict building codes, etc), and zoning. Lots of little parks and waterways.

The only thing is, it's really a family area. People live out here for the schools and family atmosphere.

If I were single with no kids, I'd live in Houston instead. Much more fun. Around Memorial Park, Galleria area, West U/ Rice Univ area, Midtown, Montrose.... all would be good for a young single person. Good access to lots of amenities, restaurants/bars, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas