Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:52 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times

Advertisements

There are two WalMarts, northeast and southwest.

Hiway 351 @ I20 - northeast, on the north side of the intersection
Maybe Hiway 277 @ Hiway 84 - southwest, on the west side of the loop

You can lookup walmart.com and search for a WalMart by zip code 79605
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 03:26 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Burnellfam,
The Walmart near the area you're looking at is right on Highway 351, which is Ambler Road in town. The other Walmart is on Southwest Drive.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 14,508 times
Smile response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnellfam View Post
Ive been told that there are a few areas in Abilene that are not bad but not the best. Im looking to move there (Yes I want to move) in about a year and im looking at buying property on the East side of Abilene on the outer side of the city Just North of were were I-20 and the HWY 20 loop connect On Elmdale Rd just before Co hwy 505 rd. Is this a good area??

Thanx for any info
Nathan

Well everywhere you go- there are good and bad parts of town! well, from experience try to avoid the north side neighborhood, ( streets over by mockingbird) green, shelton, beech,)if you look into it, im sure there are more than a few people to tell you thats where most of the trouble starts.
but not all the neighborhoods on the northside are bad-- try looking into westview, westwood, and there are more on that side to look into. I prefer to live on the southside! not everyone may agree with this- but this comes from my experiences. Im not trying to offend anyone living on northside abilene.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 PM

12 posts, read 81,324 times
Thanx alot for that info. Im just not wanting to maby buy something in a not the best part of town.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:46 AM

3 posts, read 24,589 times
I have lived on the Northside of town, on Meadowbrook drive, for the past 30 years. Never had one bit of trouble. Nice, quiet neighborhood, super neighbors. Despite what you may hear about the Northside of town being on the wrongside of the tracks, this is not truth.

I paid $10,000 less for my northside home than a comparable home on the desired southside of town. Southside is too congested for me. Traffic is thick. All areas of town have something that is unpleasant, including both North and Southsides of town.

Elmdale is a nice area, and growing since the opening of the new Walmart supercenter. Two years ago, before WalMart, you would have paid a lot less than what land and homes are now selling for.

Here is a link that provides info on neighborhoods:

Real Estate in Abilene - Realtor®

Old 06-01-2009, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 56,363 times
Default a few years ago

When we lived there the area around North 13th and Treadway was a well known drug area, and the area south of N7th and west of Highway 277 was pretty bad with drugs and gang problems.
Other areas with Gang problems was along Ambler and Mockenbird to Grape St.
As far as the south side we had some trouble with Jr high aged gang problems in the Jefferson Middle school area.
I have been told that all of the gang problems are on a decline.
I don't think they were ever really too bad , at least not like Houston has.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM

147 posts, read 310,702 times
I've worked all ove Abilene and I don't remember seeing a bad neighborhood there. Plenty of good restaurants, several colleges, and a lot of Christians living there.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:53 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
Hamlin is about 8 or so miles north of I20 near Elmdale, so you might want to look around there. Plus 351/East Lake Rd which Walmart is on is the main stretch to Hamlin.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,046 times
Default Where is Walmart in Abilene, TX

There are two large stores: one at the north end of town on HWY 351 just past Freeway HWY 20 which runs east-west and one at the south end of town just past Winters Freeway on Southwest. These are about 9 miles apart and the drive is 20 minutes. The only traffic areas in the entire town are around this southern Walmart area which is out toward what they call Wylie (expensive and very suburban and terrible traffic at times, especially compared to the rest of the City). There will be a third Walmart within the next couple of years as one of their "neighborhood" stores is going in on Ambler Street which runs across the northern side of the City.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:53 AM

9 posts, read 26,115 times
Abilene has many good areas, but there are a few bad ones. Anything close to down town, isn't that good. But if you look around Buffalo Gap Road, Lytle Lake area, The area off Antiley near Sams Club, those are all great areas. Or live in Tuscola, Merkel, or Clyde and drive in. All are close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas