Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 18,409 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to this location, little nervous though. When i look up rentals in the area, not much comes up, mostly yucky places for rent. I'm i just looking at the wrong places, is there a secret to finding them there? Also, can anyone tell me the best location to stay? It will be my boyfriend and myself and my 2 year old son, so something decent and a nice area. Any input on Abilene would be great too. Thanks :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 06:01 PM

148 posts, read 358,428 times
The better rentals are in either northeast Abilene or southwest Abilene. Are you looking for a house or an apartment?

Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2496 View Post
The better rentals are in either northeast Abilene or southwest Abilene. Are you looking for a house or an apartment?
I would really prefer a house, but not so sure that is going to happen on a $750 budget. I want it to be in a nice neighborhood. Do you have any opinions or what are some nice affordable neighborhoods or good apartments if that is the route i have to take to get something a little nicer then what i've been seeing? Thanks

Old 04-30-2011, 10:21 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
I really like Abilene, although I don't live there (would if I found a job) but here are a couple links that might be helpful:

http://www.abileneidx.com/search_res...sting_count=10

Abilene Homes for Rent - Abilene Houses for Rent - Abilene, TX Rentals Real Estate - Realtor.com®

Abilene Chamber of Commerce : Abilene, Texas

Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
I've rented a few homes, a couple of duplexes, and many apartments here in Abilene over the years so I hope I can be of help. Rental homes in the 79605 and 79606 zip code are in the nicer areas of town. There are also some nice homes inthe 79601 zip code near Abilene Christian University. In the 79605 zip code I would stay south of S. 14th Street and west of Sayles Blvd. That is an older part of town but most of the neighborhoods are good. Generally speaking, anywhere in the 79606 zip code is going to be nicer and newer. You should be able to find a nice small home or duplex/townhome in your price range in one of those areas. I paid about 700 per month for the last home I rented in the southwest part of town. It was a 3 bedroom, 1 car garage home that had been updated throughout. It was in an older neighborhood but it was clean and in a safe area. There are also some nice duplexes and townhomes in the vicinity of the Mall of Abilene (79606). I looked at a few 2 and 3 bedroom duplexes and townhomes in that area before I decided to rent the house. If you decide to rent an apartment in an apartment complex, the best ones are in the 79606 zip code. There are a few complexes in the ACU area that are nice too. Avoid any apartment complexes/duplexes, or homes in the immediate vicinity of S. 7th Street west of the 83/84/277 west loop. Those neighborhoods are really bad (lots of crime). Good luck!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I've rented a few homes, a couple of duplexes, and many apartments here in Abilene over the years so I hope I can be of help. Rental homes in the 79605 and 79606 zip code are in the nicer areas of town. There are also some nice homes inthe 79601 zip code near Abilene Christian University. In the 79605 zip code I would stay south of S. 14th Street and west of Sayles Blvd. That is an older part of town but most of the neighborhoods are good. Generally speaking, anywhere in the 79606 zip code is going to be nicer and newer. You should be able to find a nice small home or duplex/townhome in your price range in one of those areas. I paid about 700 per month for the last home I rented in the southwest part of town. It was a 3 bedroom, 1 car garage home that had been updated throughout. It was in an older neighborhood but it was clean and in a safe area. There are also some nice duplexes and townhomes in the vicinity of the Mall of Abilene (79606). I looked at a few 2 and 3 bedroom duplexes and townhomes in that area before I decided to rent the house. If you decide to rent an apartment in an apartment complex, the best ones are in the 79606 zip code. There are a few complexes in the ACU area that are nice too. Avoid any apartment complexes/duplexes, or homes in the immediate vicinity of S. 7th Street west of the 83/84/277 west loop. Those neighborhoods are really bad (lots of crime). Good luck!

Thank you so much, That helps me tremendously. Maybe, my SO, needs to drive around and look since he is already there. Because, by looking online all the rentals i see in my price range besides apartment complexes are very old and dingy looking. Any how, Thank you.. :-)

Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Andrea, are you moving for the military, one of the universities, or other reason? Not that I really want to know, but the answer may steer you to your decision.

If the military then you do want west, probably to the south. The south of S 14th and probly west of the loop.
If a university, then something closer to that school.
If for other, then it's movers choice.

I add that only because Abilene is a bit spread out with the center being somewhat under utilized. Why live near ACU if most of life is near Dyess. Or towards Buffalo Gap is SO is a student at ACU.

Not that traffic in Abilene is a problem, but the price of gas is going up.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Andrea, are you moving for the military, one of the universities, or other reason? Not that I really want to know, but the answer may steer you to your decision.

If the military then you do want west, probably to the south. The south of S 14th and probly west of the loop.
If a university, then something closer to that school.
If for other, then it's movers choice.

I add that only because Abilene is a bit spread out with the center being somewhat under utilized. Why live near ACU if most of life is near Dyess. Or towards Buffalo Gap is SO is a student at ACU.

Not that traffic in Abilene is a problem, but the price of gas is going up.
No, we will be moving, because my SO mom's lives in Tuscola right outside of Abilene, and he just wanted to be closer to her. But, he works around Abilene. So, really we just want something in our budget and in a safe neighbor for my two year old son. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas