Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM

471 posts, read 826,672 times

Advertisements

What's it like? A good place to live? Any good Crappie/Catfish lakes nearby? Walking trails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 02:04 PM

492 posts, read 962,453 times
I've always said that Abilene is a great place to raise a kid but you wouldn't want to live there. It is a good place but having said that I'll add that it's a matter of judgement. What are you looking for?

Hopefully Teatime and JamesAbilene will come on shortly to extoll Abilene's virtues. For me, the best part of Abilene is the rumble of a B1 bomber (http://www.b1b.wpafb.af.mil/pages/flightline.html - broken link) in the morning. Gives me a sense of security.

The local lake is Fort Phamtom Hill and includes the ruins of Fort Phantom Hill, near the dam. Fishing is possible.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times
I really like Abilene. It has a surprising amount of entertainment and culture for a city its size. It has three private colleges, creating a sort of college town feel. The schools are good from what I hear, particularly Wylie ISD. There are mountain biking and hiking trails in the hills/mesas south of town, and there are several large lakes nearby, like Lake Breckenridge and Possum Kingdom Lake, which are stocked with fish. I think Abilene is a good place to live and I would recommend it to you.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,017,005 times
LOL, sorry, I'm just tired of writing about Abilene, I guess. There are so few of us Abilenians on the forum! Someone's going to accuse us of working for the Chamber of Commerce! :P

Abilene IS a great place to live! Just the right size to be comfortable and non-stressed, with lots of restaurants, arts, and things to do, and small enough to feel close-knit and neighborly. I don't know anything about fishing but we've got Lake Fort Phantom (which the city is actually planning to develop into a great recreational spot), Lake Abilene and Abilene State Park, plus Kirby Lake. I'm assuming at least a few of these have fish. I always see lots of folks towing boats about around town and Tighe (sp.?) Boats has a plant here.

Housing is VERY affordable, schools are very good, and folks are friendly. We have lots of concerts, plays, arts events and performances. I love the downtown -- it was revitalized many years ago and is very pretty. We've got manufacturing, wind farms/wind technology, 3 universities plus community colleges, and Dyess Air Force Base, so the local economy is weathering the recession pretty well.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,235,303 times
There are so few of us Abilenians on the forum! Someone's going to accuse us of working for the Chamber of Commerce!

Teatime, after high school I moved to Houston for a few months where I was a non-stop commercial for Abilene. My dad's GF asked if I wanted to work for the Chamber of Commerce. Guess I didn't catch on at the time but my ramblings have since ceased.

That's why I recommend you for commentary on the Big A. You could probly write up something and save it in a Text file. Then when someone asks about Abilene you could just cut and paste.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 15,344 times
Yes, all the positives i said as well about Abilene! AB does grow on you, like i said we have lived in all major cities in texas except houston (which i dont like to visit too much either!) its a great safe place for kids!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:15 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,148,710 times
I have lived in large and small cities. This thing that I love most about Abilene is that it is a very easy place to live while still offering amenities like good shopping, good restaurants, lots of concerts, plays, etc. at the universities. Traffic is light--except during the 15 minute rush hour. People are friendly. It is an easy, great place to live. Good schools, low crime level, inexpensive housing. To me, it is the perfect size--big enough to offer you everything you need, but small enough to not have the disadvantages of a large city such as horrendous traffic. It is also centrally located--3 hours or less to the metroplex, Lubbock, Wichita Falls, San Angelo, Midland/Odessa. Add another hour and you are in Austin. You can't beat it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas